• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

I have an AT version of Coyoza :censored:
You do. Individuals with AT's tuned previously on Coyoza still have support available to them, within reason. But support/R&D, etc has been discontinued for future tuning WRT new AT customers. MT-only.

For future AT customers, it's either OVTune maps, and I'm considering CVC. Obviously that pertains more to local flash services.

Last edited:
For the record, the stock tune will come up with knock if you datalog too, but not all knock is true knock. Sometimes it's other sounds in the engine bay being picked up and interpreted incorrectly.
I get that,but if engine knock is being detected through OVtune, and thats connected to the OBD2 port which is running through the ECU, wouldnt the ECU be retarding the timing if it detected knock whether it was false or not?

Maybe I am overthinking this?

You have a manual or automatic? Coyoza is MT-only. Your comment about the transmission makes it sound like you have the AT.
Talk with him today via Messenger and his automatic tunes are just OV tunes. For what I want he recommends a basic tune. He also said I could do a CVC tune by Chan Chan ( might be Chanvchau) for a map if I wanted something special or different than a basic tune and alternator adjustment

Last edited:
Talk with him today via Messenger and his automatic tunes are just VF tunes. For what I want he recommends a basic tune. He also said I could talk to Chan Chan for a map if I wanted something special or different than a basic tune and alternator adjustment
You spoke with me, sir.

For the benefit of everyone reading this, I'll clear it up right now since this is a good opportunity to address some confusion regarding Coyoza tune availability.

Coyoza (the company/partnership) provides flash tune services for OVTune 2.0 maps. Coyoza also has a custom Coyoza tune that initially was for AT and MT and has since been discontinued for AT. Individuals previously tuned on Coyoza for AT will continue to receive support, however custom tuning on Coyoza maps moving forward is MT only, as that is our niche and where our advantage lies WRT providing a great tune. I figure I'll leave the AT custom tuning to the AT guys, and I'll focus on MT tunes, as Coyoza is a MT tune for MT owners, developed on my own MT truck. It is not an AT tune converted for MT use.

Ultimately, the decision to cease AT support also stemmed from the infinitely wide range of opinion from AT owners on how the truck should drive. MT owners, as a generalization, tend to be significantly more unified.

I have reached the conclusion or opinion that Chan Chan's CVC tune is the only "major user-edited" tune out of the main trifecta available for AT trucks that I feel comfortable with, and so I am willing to flash CVC tunes to customers if the files are either supplied to me by a customer, or obtained from Chan Chan at his discretion.

For you specifically @NMBruce and your description of what you're looking for and how you'll use the truck, I was not under the impression that you particularly need an improved custom tune over the benefits that OVTune maps provide, and so I recommended an OVTune map as such, mostly due to price difference. The price difference may be unique to Coyoza flash services. Others may offer all tunes at the same price for all I know. I am not all-knowing, perhaps you'll end up wanting more. I am of course willing to give you a custom tune from CVC if that ends up suiting you better.

Nonetheless, Coyoza does not charge returning customers full price for retune or for an upgrade from regular OVTune to custom tune pricing, and we never have. If that situation arises, we would be charging the price of the single map from CVC as it is their custom tune (at Chan's discretion, as CVC tunes are his to distribute as he sees fit), plus our flash fee of $40 since you would be a prior customer at that point.

I get that,but if engine knock is being detected through OVtune, and thats connected to the OBD2 port which is running through the ECU, wouldnt the ECU be retarding the timing if it detected knock whether it was false or not?

Maybe I am overthinking this?
It does retard timing. For example, all of the OVT 2.0 tunes have Octane Learning. For the record, this is why all of the user-edited tunes based off of 2.0 have OL as well.

You can flash a Premium fuel map and safely run 87 octane. It'll knock, the ECU will retard timing safely.

The reason why most of us offering flash services recommend a file for regular fuel is because there is not as much performance to be gained from running a premium fuel map with lower octane as there is to run a regular fuel map with premium fuel. Personally I found the greatest benefit for daily driving on a map for regular fuel with premium in the tank.

Now to address your question, idk if it differentiates between false and true knock. I suppose it would make sense that it would retard timing regardless of false vs true.

Last edited:
I already made the decision to run premium fuel on a reg fuel map, I agree with what your saying. I just figured that better octane is a little more protection from detonation.
I was just hoping someone threw their rig on a dyno and have slips to go along with the tunes, but then realized that probably wouldnt help me anyway unless the dyno runs were somewhere around 6k feet elevation where I am. I just need something, anything better than what I have now.

Im overthinking this. LOL I dont need to worry about this crap with my truck.

Last edited:
I already made the decision to run premium fuel on a reg fuel map, I agree with what your saying. I just figured that better octane is a little more protection from detonation.
I was just hoping someone threw their rig on a dyno and have slips to go along with the tunes, but then realized that probably wouldnt help me anyway unless the dyno runs were somewhere around 6k feet elevation where I am. I just need something, anything better than what I have now.

Im overthinking this. LOL I dont need to worry about this crap with my truck.
Well, with higher octane you will have less detonation, that's true, and then on top of that you'll likely have even less because of your elevation. That's why you'll see 85 octane at higher elevations, because the higher octanes aren't as necessary to achieve the stoichiometric value of 14.7 (or similar). Less air being available means you don't need as high of an octane. So the premium fuel is still providing you a benefit, although I don't think you need to worry as much as it seems you are. But I understand the desire for data.

Well, with higher octane you will have less detonation, that's true, and then on top of that you'll likely have even less because of your elevation. That's why you'll see 85 octane at higher elevations, because the higher octanes aren't as necessary to achieve the stoichiometric value of 14.7 (or similar). Less air being available means you don't need as high of an octane. So the premium fuel is still providing you a benefit, although I don't think you need to worry as much as it seems you are. But I understand the desire for data.
All of this paranoia is coming from trying to tune a turbo without access to a dyno = BF Headache
Playing with fuel maps was fun for me about 15 years ago......Now I just want something proven to use.

You spoke with me, sir.

For the benefit of everyone reading this, I'll clear it up right now since this is a good opportunity to address some confusion regarding Coyoza tune availability.

Coyoza (the company/partnership) provides flash tune services for OVTune 2.0 maps. Coyoza also has a custom Coyoza tune that initially was for AT and MT and has since been discontinued for AT. Individuals previously tuned on Coyoza for AT will continue to receive support, however custom tuning on Coyoza maps moving forward is MT only, as that is our niche and where our advantage lies WRT providing a great tune. I figure I'll leave the AT custom tuning to the AT guys, and I'll focus on MT tunes, as Coyoza is a MT tune for MT owners, developed on my own MT truck. It is not an AT tune converted for MT use.

Ultimately, the decision to cease AT support also stemmed from the infinitely wide range of opinion from AT owners on how the truck should drive. MT owners, as a generalization, tend to be significantly more unified.

I have reached the conclusion or opinion that Chan Chan's CVC tune is the only "major user-edited" tune out of the main trifecta available for AT trucks that I feel comfortable with, and so I am willing to flash CVC tunes to customers if the files are either supplied to me by a customer, or obtained from Chan Chan at his discretion.

For you specifically @NMBruce and your description of what you're looking for and how you'll use the truck, I was not under the impression that you particularly need an improved custom tune over the benefits that OVTune maps provide, and so I recommended an OVTune map as such, mostly due to price difference. The price difference may be unique to Coyoza flash services. Others may offer all tunes at the same price for all I know. I am not all-knowing, perhaps you'll end up wanting more. I am of course willing to give you a custom tune from CVC if that ends up suiting you better.

Nonetheless, Coyoza does not charge returning customers full price for retune or for an upgrade from regular OVTune to custom tune pricing, and we never have. If that situation arises, we would be charging the price of the single map from CVC as it is their custom tune (at Chan's discretion, as CVC tunes are his to distribute as he sees fit), plus our flash fee of $40 since you would be a prior customer at that point.
I think what you said to me was just what I needed to hear and should work for me. I dont really understand this stuff, not like just adding a nice 4bbl carb or cam, so I will leave it to those that know. THANKS

I didn't know that you where on here.

So should I order the Valley Runner tune now or do they send it when I check out on their website?
The dongle should be here Tuesday and I am going camping Wednesday. I would really like to have this installed and ready to go when I go camping.

So I haven’t seen anything on this so I am going to ask. The tunes that are being released, are they dyno proven? Would I be better off spending 350 on the OVTUNE editable maps and then take it to a dyno and have it tuned that way? I’ve seen what can happen on a dyno but also know that dynos are the best way to tune something. I am hoping to have this done in a week assuming I get the dongle in the mail. I want to test this on my trip for the 4th.

The following are dynos that OV did on his 1.05 performance tune for 93 octane. I tried his 2.0 tunes for a while but went back to this tune because I found out that he has not produced a performance tune for the 2.0 version yet, at least for us AT owners. You can see a definite performance increase not only in the upper RPM range but also in the mid RPM range. At 4100 RPM it is around a 60 HP gain which can be definitely felt. I also like the fact that he raised the redline to 6800 RPM.

Images / information below is based off of older tuning files (1.05/2.0).

[IMG]

[IMG]

OVTUNE TEST TRUCK:
2017 tacoma TRD PRO 4x4 with No engine Modifications and larger tires

Independent Emissions Test
(our product is for off-road use, however we value the environment)

[IMG]

OK, so I finally got the dongle, hooked it up to my truck and laptop....now what. LOL I opened VFtuner app and entered my vin number....turned the truck to on without starting and nothing as far as information....what am I supposed to do now? What should I be looking for?

OK, so I finally got the dongle, hooked it up to my truck and laptop....now what. LOL I opened VFtuner app and entered my vin number....turned the truck to on without starting and nothing as far as information....what am I supposed to do now? What should I be looking for?
You should be hitting Prepare ECU.

Where’s that? Lol. I don’t see anything like that. This is what I’m looking at

Attachments

• 0AFF120B-1EBB-4C04-9D29-7FDFD5CB3533.jpeg
    0AFF120B-1EBB-4C04-9D29-7FDFD5CB3533.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 89
Oh shit, can I install the valley runner map now?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Much better. Guess the camping trip will tell.

Last edited:
Searching for different tunes for the Tacoma. This is what I have found so far. Figured I would put it all in one place and make it easier for everyone to find the options for the VFTuner.

OVTune packs - https://vftuner.com/collections/tune-packs

Tune pack offered by Orange Virus. Options for Gears, Tire Size and Throttle enhancement.

- Tune pack - $390

Valley Tuning - https://valleytune.com/

Tunes offered by Valley Tuning with options for gears, tire size, automatic or manual transmission, exhaust mods and battery options.

- Valley Runner 2.0 - $40 Gear lock add-on +$15
- Valley Sport - Listed but no link to tune.
- Eco Pro - Listed but no link to tune

KD MAX - All I could find is that these guys are from the other forum. I refuse to place any kind of link to that forum for personal reasons.
Nirvana tune - Same thing as the KD Max. Some dude on the other forum made this tune.

Sibi Built Tune - https://sibibuilt.weeblysite.com/
-Located in Santa Ana, Ca. I think you have to go to his shop to get the tune. Website mentions nothing about it.

If I missed any tunes, pm me the info and I can add it to this post.

Searching for different tunes for the Tacoma. This is what I have found so far. Figured I would put it all in one place and make it easier for everyone to find the options for the VFTuner.

Tune pack offered by Orange Virus. Options for Gears, Tire Size and Throttle enhancement.

- Tune pack - $390

Tunes offered by Valley Tuning with options for gears, tire size, automatic or manual transmission, exhaust mods and battery options.

KD MAX - All I could find is that these guys are from the other forum. I refuse to place any kind of link to that forum for personal reasons.
Nirvana tune - Same thing as the KD Max. Some dude on the other forum made this tune.

-Located in Santa Ana, Ca. I think you have to go to his shop to get the tune. Website mentions nothing about it.

Coyoza is an option. Manual trans only.

There's a post about it here on T3G but it doesn't see much traffic due to TacomaWorld's larger popularity. People in the M/T Tacoma Owners group on Facebook on Coyoza as well.

Last edited:

- Tune pack - $390

Did you try the valley runner?
I like that tune.
I’ve ran many many times. Including Coyoza. I just got Sibi last night and need to port it over to my ECU ID.

Did you try the valley runner?
I like that tune.
I’ve ran many many times. Including Coyoza. I just got Sibi last night and need to port it over to my ECU ID.
I went camping on Wednesday and got home today. Ran Valley Runner out and back. Not bad. It definitely fixed alot of things. I will run this until I something else comes along Im sure.

What does the gear lock add on do? New to the truck thing.
Gearlock, once implemented in the aesthetically pleasing way and not the ghetto way, allows you to use S-mode like a manual transmission. S-mode from factory sets a maximum gear but the truck still downshifts below that.

Gearlock changes that so that S4 is just 4th gear, not 1-4. It will only downshift if you lug it super super badly.

Gearlock, once implemented in the aesthetically pleasing way and not the ghetto way, allows you to use S-mode like a manual transmission. S-mode from factory sets a maximum gear but the truck still downshifts below that.

Gearlock changes that so that S4 is just 4th gear, not 1-4. It will only downshift if you lug it super super badly.
So factory S4 auto shifts from 1-4. Gearlock will keep it as 4th gear only. Unless you try to stomp on it from a stop or something drastic?

So factory S4 auto shifts from 1-4. Gearlock will keep it as 4th gear only. Unless you try to stomp on it from a stop or something drastic?
Basically if you go down to like an absolute crawl from how I understood it, where acceleration from there in too high of a gear would be nearly impossible.

nubee question. Why are some tunes 50 and ovtune 390? Is it that ovtunes have many tunes to use verses just one?

Yeah it should work properly after the tune. I dont know if 3rd gens get this feature tho.

Feature has been around for a long time now. Tried to get it earlier this year but was told 3rd gens don't have that feature yet. Does anybody know if 3rd gens are compatible yet?

Back