• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

So my next question is.....

The maps. Can we have a forum to post links the map files for anyone to download from or, do you need to purchase them and have a key to unlock them?

Just putting in another vote for KDmax.
Currently running the stock 265s on stock rims for my TRD off-road short bed, double cab, with 5.29 re-gear. Running 87 octane. Buttery smooth. No more hard shifts, or lurching. Was running the OV tune, but Paul hooked me up with the KDMAX in Portland, OR. This one is all about driveability. I did not buy a taco to win races, or make fast passes at freeway speeds. Definitely an improvement. I was going to go back to stock tune, but glad he offered to upgrade me.
Eventually I plan to go to 33's, but gonna run the stock tires down to the wear indicators first!

So my next question is.....

The maps. Can we have a forum to post links the map files for anyone to download from or, do you need to purchase them and have a key to unlock them?

So once you purchase the credits to unlock your VIN, you are able to flash maps.
Then there is the VF Tuner Base Maps you purchase for your ECU ID.
So far you unlocked your VIN to be able to flash the maps. This will allow you to flash base maps or maps done by other users/services.
Then you can go the next step and unlock your "account" to edit maps for ECU ID's. Each ECU ID needs unlocked. But once you unlock it you can edit them as you please. If you were to trade it in or buy another, you'd have to unlock the VIN, then unlock the ECU ID if it's different.

KDMax is a good tune. But I feel like there are better out there.
I’ve logged and inputted data for all these tuners. I was one of the original guys working with all these dudes.
If you have the time and want to do some research Home - Valley Tuning is a good one. Gets great MPG and his 3.0 will blow a lot of tunes out of the water.

I have another guy from TW who has a “nirvana” tune. It’s pretty amazing. I’m a HEAVY truck and right now I’m making 16+ MPG’s (35/ 5.29)

Also Downhill Dragon has a good tune “Powerthirst”

Coyoza tune was not bad either.

These are all solid tunes I have run and recommend.

Ok so stupid question. I have the software and dongle on the way. So 350 + shipping. Do I need to buy the tune package from there too or can I just go to valley runner and spend 40 bucks and bam I’m done?

I’ve logged and inputted data for all these tuners. I was one of the original guys working with all these dudes.
If you have the time and want to do some research Home - Valley Tuning is a good one. Gets great MPG and his 3.0 will blow a lot of tunes out of the water.

I have another guy from TW who has a “nirvana” tune. It’s pretty amazing. I’m a HEAVY truck and right now I’m makitunes I have run and recommend.

Ok so stupid question. I have the software and dongle on the way. So 350 + shipping. Do I need to buy the tune package from there too or can I just go to valley runner and spend 40 bucks and bam I’m done?
Far as i know yes you can just buy vr and tune with that. I learned the hard way and bought ov tunes learning that they were not what i was expecting. But if ov tune comes out with update definitely interested in ov tunes updated tune . I run vr and its freaking the best . Very predicable great mpgs and plenty of power

I have another guy from TW who has a “nirvana” tune. It’s pretty amazing. I’m a HEAVY truck and right now I’m making 16+ MPG’s (35/ 5.29)

Also Downhill Dragon has a good tune “Powerthirst”

Coyoza tune was not bad either.

These are all solid tunes I have run and recommend.
You try out the KDMax 6.0?

Yes. That was a surprise for me too. It's kind of hidden, and a nice fuck you when you get the tool. You can edit the stock map, but that's rough and you'll probably make the truck drive worse (from experience). It is a good lesson to learn what some edits do, though.

Some of them are cheap, but usually don't allow you to edit them. You can just buy the single tune from them, flash it, and be done. It's just "locked", so you can't see anything of what they changed. I assume the Tune Package is either editable, or allows you to unlock ALL ECUs to flash instead of only yours.

Has anyone tried the CVC tune? They are coming to my town and debating getting it done and adding the AGM alternator tune. I currently have the ovtune 2.0 . It’s just hard to think after paying the ovtune price of a year ago before the vf tuner. To also buy that etc. so I figured I would just have someone do this manly for the AGM stuff.

Has anyone tried the CVC tune? They are coming to my town and debating getting it done and adding the AGM alternator tune. I currently have the ovtune 2.0 . It’s just hard to think after paying the ovtune price of a year ago before the vf tuner. To also buy that etc. so I figured I would just have someone do this manly for the AGM stuff.
Where are you and when are they coming to your town, I am in Southwest Colorado and there is no one around here.

So I haven’t seen anything on this so I am going to ask. The tunes that are being released, are they dyno proven? Would I be better off spending 350 on the OVTUNE editable maps and then take it to a dyno and have it tuned that way? I’ve seen what can happen on a dyno but also know that dynos are the best way to tune something. I am hoping to have this done in a week assuming I get the dongle in the mail. I want to test this on my trip for the 4th.

You try out the KDMax 6.0?
I’m not sure if I’ve specifically tried that one. I test a lot of tunes. I’m not going to say KD is bad, I’m just offering the suggestion that there are others out there that offer.. differences. Better engine numbers. Less knock. Those types of things.

I’m not sure if I’ve specifically tried that one. I test a lot of tunes. I’m not going to say KD is bad, I’m just offering the suggestion that there are others out there that offer.. differences. Better engine numbers. Less knock. Those types of things.
Which ones give the least to no knock at all?? I have OVtune 2.0 for regular octane and this thing rattles like a fucking diesel now

So I haven’t seen anything on this so I am going to ask. The tunes that are being released, are they dyno proven? Would I be better off spending 350 on the OVTUNE editable maps and then take it to a dyno and have it tuned that way? I’ve seen what can happen on a dyno but also know that dynos are the best way to tune something. I am hoping to have this done in a week assuming I get the dongle in the mail. I want to test this on my trip for the 4th.
I have asked these several times, and never seen proven numbers. I have been very hesitant from trying out some of these tunes without numbers. Wish I had a better answer.

You can tune your own map with your dongle without paying anymore. The Official OVTune is a tune that is also editable.

I suggest just getting the dongle, going through the instructions, viewing your own map and seeing what's going on. It took me a few weeks to even be able to do this, because it takes a support ticket to OVTune to get a license key.

KD does have a dynograph, comparing against OVTune and stock. Their claims of higher power numbers are not wrong, and I believe they claim an additional 20-30+, but the power is up high in the power band, above 5k rpm. Where the truck doesn't need it. In addition, it removed the additional power gained down low from OVTune and reallocates it up there. Down low is where the truck needs it.

This means that the "power" that people feel down low is simulated, relying heavily upon throttle modifications in order to have the driver blast through all the less refined parts of the tune, to give the impression of power. Is it effective? I suppose so. Lots of people claim to love the tune, although lots of people are also not privy to the details of how various edits are commonly made to the 3GT tunes, or even care. Is it an ideal tune/method? Idk. In my opinion, no, but that is my opinion. All I can really go off of from there is that OVTune/Mat (the only actual/professional tuner in this whole mess) had stated that there may be only 10 more horsepower remaining available to draw out of these N/A 3.5L trucks and seemed to imply that it could come at the cost of longevity. Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong. Nobody has been tuned long enough or with enough miles yet to really say for sure.

TLDR; KD has a dynograph, with numbers. However, people should know how to read a dynograph, which isn't difficult to do.

To answer the other question about which user-edited tune has the least knock, I don't know. And I don't know if anyone else knows.

Last edited:
I was originally going to try the KDMax tune as I have a dealer locally for it, but now I'm not so sure. Great thread.

KD does have a dynograph, comparing against OVTune and stock. Their claims of higher power numbers are not wrong, and I believe they claim an additional 20-30+, but the power is up high in the power band, above 5k rpm. Where the truck doesn't need it. In addition, it removed the additional power gained down low from OVTune and reallocates it up there. Down low is where the truck needs it.

This means that the "power" that people feel down low is simulated, relying heavily upon throttle modifications in order to have the driver blast through all the less refined parts of the tune, to give the impression of power. Is it effective? I suppose so. Lots of people claim to love the tune, although lots of people are also not privy to the details of how various edits are commonly made to the 3GT tunes, or even care. Is it an ideal tune/method? Idk. In my opinion, no, but that is my opinion. All I can really go off of from there is that OVTune/Mat (the only actual/professional tuner in this whole mess) had stated that there may be only 10 more horsepower remaining available to draw out of these N/A 3.5L trucks and seemed to imply that it could come at the cost of longevity. Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong. Nobody has been tuned long enough or with enough miles yet to really say for sure.

TLDR; KD has a dynograph, with numbers. However, people should know how to read a dynograph, which isn't difficult to do.

To answer the other question about which user-edited tune has the least knock, that's probably Coyoza, but I am biased. Very smooth. Coyoza tune is for the 6MT only however. A MT tune made by a MT owner on a MT truck, for the MT crowd. Not an AT tune converted for MT trucks.

Idk about for the AT's.
From what I have read, it’s seems like Coyoza is what I need. If I want to drive fast or want power, I’ll drive my SLK350. I need a tune to increase the output for a AGM battery, manual control on the transmission and a little bit of power or better MPG

Least knock? Any kind of knock is bad. Which one of these tunes has engine knock? I need to know so I can steer clear.

Least knock? Any kind of knock is bad. Which one of these tunes has engine knock? I need to know so I can steer clear.
I have OVTune 2.0 for regular gas, automatic, stock gears and 33s. I get valve chatter now when the truck down shifts going up a slope while cruising and also at stops. Pisses me off and I'll prob ne getting rid of it once my gears are swapped. 200 bucks for proper shift points and a side of valve clatter

For the record, the stock tune will come up with knock if you datalog too, but not all knock is true knock. Sometimes it's other sounds in the engine bay being picked up and interpreted incorrectly.

From what I have read, it’s seems like Coyoza is what I need. If I want to drive fast or want power, I’ll drive my SLK350. I need a tune to increase the output for a AGM battery, manual control on the transmission and a little bit of power or better MPG
You have a manual or automatic? Coyoza is MT-only. Your comment about the transmission makes it sound like you have the AT.

Last edited:
Back