• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tonneau cover

Todfoxx31

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Opinions...best fitting, easy install and very little to no leaking tri-fold (hard) tonneau cover for 2019 Tacoma or 5' bed. Bakflip, gator others?

Been researching the same thing. Trying to decide on soft or hard tri fold cover.

I have the backflip mx4 and love it. I get hardly any water/dust inside and the install took maybe 45 minutes at most. One of the most practical and better mods I’ve done. Zero issues and looks flush.
121B549D-3D65-4CF1-AFAE-333301B700E3.jpeg

Hey
I watched a couple video's on the Diamondback cover and it looks very nice. About $1600 bucks but seems well built.

Pete

I am really debating one as well I want something secure that can't be easily broken into but I also want fully usability of my bed. It seems like the only option is a soft roll up cover, is there an option I'm missing?

I love my Agricover Lomax hard tri fold. Bakflip and Gator have always leaked like crazy for me, but the Lomax seals very well. After twenty minutes of heavy downpour through the Georgia mountains yesterday there was no water in the bed. I personally think it looks cleaner too. Install was quick and easy, and removal of the cover takes seconds.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 263
i just put a roll up one and i got 1mpg increment! nice.

I have the backflip mx4 and love it. I get hardly any water/dust inside and the install took maybe 45 minutes at most. One of the most practical and better mods I’ve done. Zero issues and looks flush.
121B549D-3D65-4CF1-AFAE-333301B700E3.jpeg
i have the same one and love it so much!

Anyone have experience with retrax?

Any one have any thoughts on retrax pro mx vs gatortrax mx?

Does anyone have the Gator FX hard trip fold cover installed? If so, did it make the bed rails unusable? Im asking because id like to get this cover and also be able to install BillieBars. I contacted BillieBars and they said Gator is known for using the whole rail system. When I looked at some YouTube videos it shows plenty of examples where it doesn't use the whole track system but I didnt find any specific videos for the Gen3 tacoma with the Gator FX.

Does anyone have the Gator FX hard trip fold cover installed? If so, did it make the bed rails unusable? Im asking because id like to get this cover and also be able to install BillieBars. I contacted BillieBars and they said Gator is known for using the whole rail system. When I looked at some YouTube videos it shows plenty of examples where it doesn't use the whole track system but I didnt find any specific videos for the Gen3 tacoma with the Gator FX.
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5GVPtH3TJc

Looks like most of the rail is still usable.

Why not check out the Bakflip MX4. It relocates the rail and you still have access to the entire rail.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL1YNoYdrMo

Yeah that is the video I saw from Gator but it doesnt look like it is the FX version. Its possible it uses the same install process but not 100% sure. The Bakflip MX4 is awesome but its also more expensive. Was hoping to stay under $800. The Gator is just over that $800 price point. If I cant get a straight answer from Gator then I'll just have to save up a little more for that Bakflip.

I just got off the phone with Gator and found out that the Gator FX is the exact same product as the BAKflip G2 and has the same install process.

You can score a MX4 for $400-$600 on Amazon Warehouse Deals. Sometimes people order them, open the box and return them just to be marked down. If something is missing you can usually contact Bakflip. Definitely worth it.

There's a long bed one for $600 right now.

You just have to keep an eye out. They pop up pretty frequently.

Last edited:
I chose the tri-fold soft top for convenience & weight. Can take it off in a jiffy, if I need to throw something in the box. Even fits in the back seat, if I have to.

Ironically, the wife wants to get one of these Toppers. I really don't have a need for one, but love the idea.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 5.55.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 5.55.31 PM.png
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I have the Diamondback and it does everything very well. Secure, strong (Will hold 1600 lbs) and it has been leak free.

I bought the Kikito Hard Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover from Amazon for just under $500. It doesn't leak unless I run it through a high-pressure car wash (and even then a few drops here and there), is super easy to install, folds up easily, and comes off quickly. My only concern is really Toyota-related because if you crank down the brackets, you can see the bed rail tweak up a bit. Looks great too.

I was very tempted by the SoftTopper but like the look of the tonneau cover and mid size rack.

I’d LOVE the diamondback but it’s way too much money for me right now :)

Last edited:
Opinions...best fitting, easy install and very little to no leaking tri-fold (hard) tonneau cover for 2019 Tacoma or 5' bed. Bakflip, gator others?
I’m loving my DiamondBack cover. Allows for front and back access. My business is reliant on the security of my gear. Looks great too.

Attachments

• 2FE06B4C-0378-4812-ABA1-BDFDB3C58DF0.jpeg
    2FE06B4C-0378-4812-ABA1-BDFDB3C58DF0.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 952969DB-259B-4308-B66F-E97CBFF719A2.jpeg
    952969DB-259B-4308-B66F-E97CBFF719A2.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 101
Ended up purchasing the BAKflip MX4. Cant wait till it is delivered!
Tip: Grab a set of these conduit elbows.
Here's a little guide I threw together. Let me know if you do any of it and how it works. Better to just get the stuff ahead of time. Doesn't add much to install time and doesn't cost much.

conduit-fittings-ln20fa-car-64_1000.jpg

Instead of running the drain tube directly down, have it drain to the side. Cleaner and less likely to get hit by something. I'll grab you a pic if needed.

You can kind of see it here on the driver side. It's behind the hook ring. So if anything were to roll back, it will hit that before wiping it out. Then you can lock it in by just reaching underneath.
full

Last edited:
Tip: Grab a set of these conduit elbows.
Here's a little guide I threw together. Let me know if you do any of it and how it works. Better to just get the stuff ahead of time. Doesn't add much to install time and doesn't cost much.

conduit-fittings-ln20fa-car-64_1000.jpg

Instead of running the drain tube directly down, have it drain to the side. Cleaner and less likely to get hit by something. I'll grab you a pic if needed.

You can kind of see it here on the driver side. It's behind the hook ring. So if anything were to roll back, it will hit that before wiping it out. Then you can lock it in by just reaching underneath.
full
That’s a great idea! You just pop a hole in the plastic bed liner and insert that elbow pipe there?

That’s a great idea! You just pop a hole in the plastic bed liner and insert that elbow pipe there?
Pretty sure I just used a step drill bit. Tape it and mark the tape. I don't remember if it can splinter or not. Don't think it does and don't get the dust on you. Don't remember if it's the composite bed that'll be bad or if that's just for fiberglass. There are conduit elbows that will fit the drain tube it comes with perfectly.

I got the MX4 installed but haven’t completed the drain tubes yet. The install was pretty easy and it looks great!
7A91F774-160A-4E54-A9DE-4F294F8E7E54.jpeg

Back