• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire Size Fitment and Lift

20210404_191429.jpg

2" front 1" rear 285 and 16x8 with 0 offset. No cmc no triming and no rub! I did have to remove front mud flaps so I'm going to try rokbloks.

I originally put the 285 on the stock 16x7 +25 offset and they did not clear driverside uca. I think with a 1.5 spacer I would have needed a cmc.

20210404_191429.jpg

2" front 1" rear 285 and 16x8 with 0 offset. No cmc no triming and no rub! I did have to remove front mud flaps so I'm going to try rokbloks.

I originally put the 285 on the stock 16x7 +25 offset and they did not clear driverside uca. I think with a 1.5 spacer I would have needed a cmc.
Hey truck looks great!

What did you do to lift the truck? I’m guessing 5100 all around? Are those rpt1? Mine are arriving in a couple of days in gold though

20210404_191429.jpg

I have a 3" front and 2" in the rear still rocking stock bilsteins I have 285/75/16 bfg km3's on medthod NV 305 wheels went to moab for a week never rubbed once
20210414_140547.jpg

On the fence of getting bds 6in lift with coil over resi then upgrade to 295/75/16 but bfg ko2's. I recently acquired a chunk of change.

Hey truck looks great!

What did you do to lift the truck? I’m guessing 5100 all around? Are those rpt1? Mine are arriving in a couple of days in gold though
When I finalized numbers I was comfortable with I basically forced my sales guy to throw in the TRD lift for free to sign. I sold cars for a few years and lucked out on getting a guy who didn't know what he was doing. So yes, it's a revalved\tuned 5100 setup with TRD stickers and factory warranty. They are! I remember when the rpf1 came out when I was really young stealing super street magazines from advanced auto parts. Never ended up buying an Integra type r or em1 si so when they came out for trucks a few years back I told myself I'd buy a set. They are so freakishly light and strong for a truck wheel. Please post picks when you get yours!

I finally pulled the trigger on suspension and wheels and wanna see what y'all think. I got 6112 & 5160's + 1.5 icon add a leaf + jba uppers. I should be around + 2" front & 1.5 rear and 3° caster maybe more. You think i could clear some 285/75-17? Wheels are gonna be 8.5 with -12 offset. I dont have a CMC but i will do it later. I know i could fit some 275/75 or 255/75. Maybe 285/70 or 255/80. I wanna get a decent amount of tuck in the wheel well, which nobody talks about. Also is extending the brake lines needed?

I finally pulled the trigger on suspension and wheels and wanna see what y'all think. I got 6112 & 5160's + 1.5 icon add a leaf + jba uppers. I should be around + 2" front & 1.5 rear and 3° caster maybe more. You think i could clear some 285/75-17? Wheels are gonna be 8.5 with -12 offset. I dont have a CMC but i will do it later. I know i could fit some 275/75 or 255/75. Maybe 285/70 or 255/80. I wanna get a decent amount of tuck in the wheel well, which nobody talks about. Also is extending the brake lines needed?
I have the same shock set up. excellent choice. I did however go with a 2.5 heavy duty Dakar, OME. I have zero rubbing issues, and I am rocking 285 7- 17 Toyos.

PXL_20210610_192733121.jpg
PXL_20210608_235828419.jpg

Wheels: 315/75-16 on 16x8 -25 offset (3.5 backspacing)

Lift: King Ext 700 lb (about 1" of threads for preload), Baja Kits boxed UCA, Icon AAL w/stock OL. Got Deaver U402 Stage 2 going in soon and probably gonna back down the preload once I install a bumper.

CMC, max caster on LCA and some trimming on lower fenders required. Recommended hammering pinch weld outboard for a cleaner look and more clearance.

Attachments

• PXL_20210606_180318315.jpg
    PXL_20210606_180318315.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I currently run 265/75/16's on a stock '18 SR5, currently thinking about trying to run 285/75 on the stock rims with no other major changes yet.
Will this size fit on the rims with/out any issues? Will I rub on any plastic or suspension components?
I'm willing to trim some plastic if needed, but if I'm going rub on anything important I can wait till I get my lift.

I currently run 265/75/16's on a stock '18 SR5, currently thinking about trying to run 285/75 on the stock rims with no other major changes yet.
Will this size fit on the rims with/out any issues? Will I rub on any plastic or suspension components?
I'm willing to trim some plastic if needed, but if I'm going rub on anything important I can wait till I get my lift.
you will definitely rub. I don't think a tire shop would put them on your truck. you'll just cut the tires up.

I'm guessing that I would rub the upper control arm?

I drive a 2020 TRD Off Road, and can safely say the yes, you will run into problems if you move up to a 285/75 tire. Get the correct suspension compents in place, and then change your tire sizing.

Ok, so I have a 2.5 suspension lift on 2017 Tacoma and stock rims. What’s the largest size tire I could fit without trimming anything and what’s the largest size I could fit with trimming? Or the largest size with different rims and offset?

Ok, so I have a 2.5 suspension lift on 2017 Tacoma and stock rims. What’s the largest size tire I could fit without trimming anything and what’s the largest size I could fit with trimming? Or the largest size with different rims and offset?
The answers you seek are on the very first post found in this thread.

33's and 44's respectively, if you trim enough 😂

In all seriousness, 33's of just about any variety (with the exception of the extra wide super swamper Sx) will fit your 2.5 inch lift with stock rims, and you can get 35's to fit with a cab mount chop, pinch weld flattening, and plenty of plastic trimming.

I'm currently running 265/75r16 which are 31.5" in diameter and 10.5" wide, I don't have issues rubbing at full steering lock or flex. Is it possible/has anyone tried to fit skinny 33's on a stock setup? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a 255/85r16 which is 33.1" in diameter and 10" wide. Does the extra 1.5" in size negate the loss in width? Or would I need to do a touch of trimming for the plastics?

Attachments

• tire.png
    tire.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 223
I'm currently running 265/75r16 which are 31.5" in diameter and 10.5" wide, I don't have issues rubbing at full steering lock or flex. Is it possible/has anyone tried to fit skinny 33's on a stock setup? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a 255/85r16 which is 33.1" in diameter and 10" wide. Does the extra 1.5" in size negate the loss in width? Or would I need to do a touch of trimming for the plastics?
I fit 33's (285/75/16's) on a 2016 stock trd off road with *a good deal* of plastic trimming and stock wheels. At full lock and flex I'd still brush up against the cab mount just a touch.

I think you'll be fine if you want to trim plastic a good bit.

I fit 33's (285/75/16's) on a 2016 stock trd off road with *a good deal* of plastic trimming and stock wheels. At full lock and flex I'd still brush up against the cab mount just a touch.

I think you'll be fine if you want to trim plastic a good bit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the offroad and pro trim levels come with a minor lift from factory?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the offroad and pro trim levels come with a minor lift from factory?
TRD pro with a 1 inch, TRD off road with maybe 0.5 inches. Travel is the same, and so I would anticipate reaching full lock and stuff with a stock sport or other would be able to handle the same size tire.

I was comfortable with the rare and occasional nudge of my tire and cab mount. Never wheeled that 2016 all that hard.

Back