• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Thoughts on Hammer Hangers shackle hangers?

midnight20pro

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Pro
Midnight Black
I saw an install video of these things and they look badass. Come with a built in skid and give you a bit more lift and articulation? amazing. Is anyone running a set of these? If I order now they won't be delivered in time for my build out, but I'll just throw them on at a later date.

https://archivegarage.com/explore-archive?olsPage=products/tacoma-hammer-hangers

Thoughts?

see a few people running them and they love them. I’ll be grabbing some soon for sure

see a few people running them and they love them. I’ll be grabbing some soon for sure

You goin with the crosstube also? I think I'm gonna get mine with a crosstube... why not solidify that rear end right?

They have a DIY option for the flanges and bolts I think if you wanna go that route

I saw an install video of these things and they look badass. Come with a built in skid and give you a bit more lift and articulation? amazing. Is anyone running a set of these? If I order now they won't be delivered in time for my build out, but I'll just throw them on at a later date.

https://archivegarage.com/explore-archive?olsPage=products/tacoma-hammer-hangers

Thoughts?
They seem very badass from what I can tell, especially compared to the flimsy stock ones. They are the next thing I do to prepare my truck for its camper, cross-tube included. That cross-tube will make the frame extremely rigid by connecting the two sides in a much stronger way than the OEM cross-member does (the one you see under the bed above the stock spare location).

Awesome! Yeah, I've had sports cars my whole life, so upper and lower tie bars to box up the chassis would always greatly improve handling, ride and performance in corners. I wasn't sure if those physics work against me offroad, but those are just fixed positions so it really just helps reinforce the frame like you said.

I’m ordering hammer hangers on the first.

Getting hammer hangers is kinda like gears. It’s not necessary, but makes the wheeling and driving experience that much more wonderful. And less stressful. I for sure do not want a bent frame or bent rear leaf shackles cause I set the ass down to hard.

I have had them for about 10 months and highly recommend them. All points of pros have been mentioned, so I won’t go into detail, however I should have done the leaf spring under the axel conversion.......maybe when the one ton is installed? Lol

I can generate some photos if you like?

I’m ordering hammer hangers on the first.

Getting hammer hangers is kinda like gears. It’s not necessary, but makes the wheeling and driving experience that much more wonderful. And less stressful. I for sure do not want a bent frame or bent rear leaf shackles cause I set the ass down to hard.

Exactly how I feel. Rather have it and not need it.

I have had them for about 10 months and highly recommend them. All points of pros have been mentioned, so I won’t go into detail, however I should have done the leaf spring under the axel conversion.......maybe when the one ton is installed? Lol

Do you have the crosstube also? pics would probably liven the thread a bit :D sounds like we're all on the same page, they're awesome. :D Can't wait.

We'll be redoing our rear suspension very soon. Hammer hangars and shackles are on the list as well shock relocation mounts and different rear springs. I'm planning to hit up @ARCHIVE for some help deciding.

Can I ask why you wished you did LUA?

Can I ask why you wished you did LUA?
It creates more up travel from my understanding, what I did do was flip the bolts so there not low fruit on the tree hanging up on rocks and such

It creates more up travel from my understanding, what I did do was flip the bolts so there not low fruit on the tree hanging up on rocks and such
That’s my understanding too.

In my case, trying to beef up my truck for weight, I would imagine LUA would make things weaker. But I don’t know too much about it.

Do you have the crosstube also? pics would probably liven the thread a bit :D sounds like we're all on the same page, they're awesome. :D Can't wait.
That’s my understanding too.

In my case, trying to beef up my truck for weight, I would imagine LUA would make things weaker. But I don’t know too much about it.
That’s definitely something to consider I would want to know the answer as well.

Yes I have the cross bar. Here are some pics I will find some when first installed.......BAMF has a set as well I believe? You can check out the post to see them brand new.

Original link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxlTL4jnNNV/?igshid=4k5kk6bqbfct

Attachments

• 143CCF7B-B790-41F5-BABE-7ED044826F8B.jpeg
    143CCF7B-B790-41F5-BABE-7ED044826F8B.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 64658A96-CC0A-4680-A8EA-1C08A02576AE.jpeg
    64658A96-CC0A-4680-A8EA-1C08A02576AE.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 184
  • E38E3020-538B-4370-AFE7-4EA6B3950216.jpeg
    E38E3020-538B-4370-AFE7-4EA6B3950216.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 205
  • CB1F61C0-1BE5-48C0-ABE5-CDB23A8E5C5F.jpeg
    CB1F61C0-1BE5-48C0-ABE5-CDB23A8E5C5F.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
If you do the crossbar, tie it into the factory frame cross member to really strengthen the setup. Just going across transfers the load to the other side and only adds a little bit of rigidity. Tying into the top forces it to try to move more solid pieces than leverage the shackle mounts that are already hanging below and easier to move. As far as SUA it is generally the idealistic spring setup for longevity and overall suspension dynamics. However once you start getting very heavy you are putting a lot of stress on the u-bolts holding the load to the axle because the suspension is not pushing down on the axle.

If you do the crossbar, tie it into the factory frame cross member to really strengthen the setup. Just going across transfers the load to the other side and only adds a little bit of rigidity. Tying into the top forces it to try to move more solid pieces than leverage the shackle mounts that are already hanging below and easier to move. As far as SUA it is generally the idealistic spring setup for longevity and overall suspension dynamics. However once you start getting very heavy you are putting a lot of stress on the u-bolts holding the load to the axle because the suspension is not pushing down on the axle.
Thanks for the info. That was kind of what I figured.

Dang it guys.... what is this and why do I need it? /s

I'm just going to pretend I didn't read this thread entirely... moving along.
It’s only around $400. Imagine if it were only $150 — that would be pretty close to $200, and at that point, what’s another $50 to get to $250? And honestly if you’re spending $250 on something anyway, $300 is nearly the same. $50 isn’t THAT much, so throw in another 50 and you’re at $350, which is essentially the $400 you need for this.

There, I completely justified it for you!

It’s only around $400. Imagine if it were only $150 — that would be pretty close to $200, and at that point, what’s another $50 to get to $250? And honestly if you’re spending $250 on something anyway, $300 is nearly the same. $50 isn’t THAT much, so throw in another 50 and you’re at $350, which is essentially the $400 you need for this.

The cost of a solid leaf spring setup is why I'm going links.

Well... when you put it that way... Am I doing this right? I'm at $790. Same same right?

1582667168899.png

Omfg, that’s funny. I actually thought it was $400 for some reason. Congrats if you order them!

LOL. I was only kidding... Having some fun. ?

Back