• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

The Subaru Tweeter Thread

Ron

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Okay folks. This is the Subaru tweeter by Kicker thread. This is a drop in, plug & play tweeter upgrade for Entune Premium, non JBL sound systems in the third gen Tacoma. I can only verify that it works in the non JBL. The JBL systems have a different connection.
Screenshot_20180502-162245.png

Genuine Subaru H631SFJ101 Tweeter Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PV6F8I2/?tag=tacoma3g-20

This is hands down one of the best sound upgrades you can do to the Entune Premium non-JBL system.

To install, it takes about 10 minutes per side. Removing the A pillars makes the process easy (and is necessary on the passenger side, or YOU WILL break a clip on the tweeter covers).

I do not know if it works on non premium units.

Pictures installed
1525299387820.png

1525299410090.png

12mm for A pillars, 10mm for the tweeters.

Last edited:
Cool, this is something I've never heard of anyone doing before. Considering I'm quite pleased with the sound quality of the stock system already, do you think it'll still be enough of a difference to warrant me trying it?

Cool, this is something I've never heard of anyone doing before. Considering I'm quite pleased with the sound quality of the stock system already, do you think it'll still be enough of a difference to warrant me trying it?
Well @Tyler , it depends on how you like to listen to your music! I have a great case of tinnitus (I drove boats for 21 years that had fantastically big diesel motors), and love listening to heavy metal and progressive metal/rock, so I'm not a big fan of muddy highs and mids. For me it was worth it....

I'm not audiophile by any means. I saw a lot ofpeople talking about how it was one of the best mod's they've done and I figured that many people can't all be wrong.
The difference is very noticeable. So i agree with the rest, one of the best sub $100 mods out there.

Are these just plug and play? Or do you need to splice?

Are these just plug and play? Or do you need to splice?
If you have the Non-JBL Entune Premium these are plug and play. They do not work on the JBL Entune Premium, I do not know if they work on the other head units other than the Non-JBL Entune Premium

If you have the Non-JBL Entune Premium these are plug and play. They do not work on the JBL Entune Premium, I do not know if they work on the other head units other than the Non-JBL Entune Premium

Nice, I will be picking up a set soon

I’ll be doing this soon. With a 10” JL Audio Sub the high notes are drowned out.

I’ll be doing this soon. With a 10” JL Audio Sub the high notes are drowned out.

I have the 10TW1-2 in the back in a Mr. Marv built sub box made from birch. The thing is bitching (the box) but the sub is a bit on the old side. I'm thinking of changing it up with an NVX or Sundown. I replaced the front door speakers with a set of PPI 6.5 woofer drivers, I have zero issues with low-end.....

I completed this mod along with Kicker KS 6x9 front door and 6 1/2 rear. Love the sound these speakers put out with the stock non JBL headunit.

I completed this mod along with Kicker KS 6x9 front door and 6 1/2 rear. Love the sound these speakers put out with the stock non JBL headunit.

When you upgraded your door speakers have you done tears as well? And have you noticed volume drop?( by that I mean it's not as loud as before)

I have also done the tweeter upgrade and it is well worth the money simply works and straight plug and play can't ask for more

I just did this today and it made a huge difference in sound quality. Much more crisp.

Here is a side by side comparison shot next to the stock tweeters.
E002C345-B536-48F6-B1CC-6413AD8BD3A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Well @Tyler , it depends on how you like to listen to your music! I have a great case of tinnitus (I drove boats for 21 years that had fantastically big diesel motors), and love listening to heavy metal and progressive metal/rock, so I'm not a big fan of muddy highs and mids. For me it was worth it....
Same here. I have an SR. Seems to make sound little more crisp for me...Don't you hate that damn tinnitus...for me it was loud music, guns...

Same here. I have an SR. Seems to make sound little more crisp for me...Don't you hate that damn tinnitus...for me it was loud music, guns...
Yep.

Back