• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Sway bar. Keep or toss it?

solscooter

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Who is running without the front sway on the daily. The benifits offroad are obvious.

Ive been contemplating taking mine off but this is my daily driver. How is the handling without it? Does thr front end float at speed? Cornering?

There's really no downside to removing it if you have sufficient spring rate and properly valved shocks in the front to keep the truck stable at speed and while cornering.

I think the only times the sway bar should remain on the truck is with the stock suspension since there isn't really much to be gained and with extremely soft springs & shocks on lifted trucks where excessive body roll can be dangerous.

There's no reason to remove the sway bar if the truck never leaves the pavement, though.

Upvote 0
Ive been contemplating taking mine off but this is my daily driver. How is the handling without it? Does thr front end float at speed? Cornering?
I missed the second half of your post...

I've had 4 daily driven lifted trucks with no sway bar, this new truck will be my 5th once I get the new suspension, but the only thing the sway bar does is tie the two halves of the truck together to reduce body roll. It isn't floaty or anything like that. It doesn't even really change the driving characteristics... it all comes down to your shocks and springs. It does take some getting used to the increased body roll, especially if you are used to driving a car or something that is really nimble. You do have to be a bit more cautious, especially when carrying extra weight. But I actually prefer the feel of the truck without the sway bar on-road as well as off in most cases.

Upvote 0
Who is running without the front sway on the daily. The benifits offroad are obvious.

I like the feel of the front end without it, but I’ve decided to leave mine on until I get my bypasses up front. If you remove it you shouldn’t see any floating, but cornering will definitely be different (whether you have oem or aftermarket suspension). Just gotta take it slow and feel everything out to see how your setup handles the change

Upvote 0
Well running fox 2.5 on 14in 700lzbs spring. I guess ill be taking it off and see how it goes. Not like it cant go back on

The placement of the damn thing makes a quick disconnect impossible if you wanna keep your CV boots.

Upvote 0
Took mine off yesterday, haven’t done a ton of driving to notice a difference. Will follow up on that once I get more miles in.

196E2435-26F8-4E19-BD41-418971876A61.jpeg

Upvote 0
Well running fox 2.5 on 14in 700lzbs spring. I guess ill be taking it off and see how it goes. Not like it cant go back on

The placement of the damn thing makes a quick disconnect impossible if you wanna keep your CV boots.
With 700# springs there is absolutely no reason to keep it on there. The truck will feel so much better without. Just don't go full retard and snap the wheel going 80 MPH to avoid a bird or something and you'll love it.

Upvote 0
With 700# springs there is absolutely no reason to keep it on there. The truck will feel so much better without. Just don't go full retard and snap the wheel going 80 MPH to avoid a bird or something and you'll love it.

But i wanna drive like burt reynolds!

That 17mm is on here tight

Upvote 0
How much more droop flex can u achieve off road from removing the swaybar? Couple inches? I know every inch counts ?

Upvote 0
How much more droop flex can u achieve off road from removing the swaybar? Couple inches? I know every inch counts ?
Not a couple of inches - you're talking a lot of money to achieve that - but leaving it installed does limit your suspension's downtravel, so you're not getting as much droop as your setup would allow unless you take it off. Removing it not only frees up that restriction, but also allows each side of the truck to work independently, as it should. Travel and articulation are related but not the same thing. You're missing two thirds of the equation if you're only worried about droop.

Upvote 0
Took mine off yesterday, haven’t done a ton of driving to notice a difference. Will follow up on that once I get more miles in.

196E2435-26F8-4E19-BD41-418971876A61.jpeg
Did it seem like it could be disconnected and zip tied in place? I was gonna do that if it seems like it wouldn’t get fucked with when flexing.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions. I spend most of my time on road, and a few times a year do something like Death Valley or Sedona. Running King 2.5 extended travel with 600 lb springs. Very tempting to take it off for Cleghorn.

Upvote 0
Mine's been off since I installed my Icons. Despite what many internet experts have said, I am still alive

Upvote 0
Since I have the Fox coilovers with dual speed compression, I can make the fronts stiffer for road driving and change it to soft when Offroad. That should be good enough right? I haven’t removed the sway bar yet but I think I might do it some time soon when I’m not feeling too lazy.

Upvote 0
Since I have the Fox coilovers with dual speed compression, I can make the fronts stiffer for road driving and change it to soft when Offroad. That should be good enough right? I haven’t removed the sway bar yet but I think I might do it some time soon when I’m not feeling too lazy.
I am thinking of taking mine off but keeping it around since I drive a lot of highway miles just in case. I only have 650# springs so I might not like it. Your setup sounds like ideal. I have been too lazy and it has been too hot to take it off so interested how you like it if youdo take it off!

Upvote 0
I am thinking of taking mine off but keeping it around since I drive a lot of highway miles just in case. I only have 650# springs so I might not like it.
You'll be 100% fine with 650# springs on a 2nd Gen. My 2nd Gen was on 620# coils with a bit of preload and handled great without the sway bar. My old 3rd Gen was 1,000lbs heavier than my 2nd Gen was, and it only had 590# coils with no preload and handled like garbage but we never died and trust me when I say I am not a conservative driver by any stretch.
Does it compress a lot more in the front with it off?
I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make on a truck with a drop bracket. The sway bar is definitely a limiting factor but how far you're going to stuff the tires has a lot more to do with your shock's compressed length and the overall geometry of your suspension. In other words, it may or it may not. I would give it a shot to find out, just remember to take it easy at first... it might be sketchier than the rest of our setups since you have a higher center of gravity.

Upvote 0
You'll be 100% fine with 650# springs on a 2nd Gen. My 2nd Gen was on 620# coils with a bit of preload and handled great without the sway bar. My old 3rd Gen was 1,000lbs heavier than my 2nd Gen was, and it only had 590# coils with no preload and handled like garbage but we never died and trust me when I say I am not a conservative driver by any stretch.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make on a truck with a drop bracket. The sway bar is definitely a limiting factor but how far you're going to stuff the tires has a lot more to do with your shock's compressed length and the overall geometry of your suspension. In other words, it may or it may not. I would give it a shot to find out, just remember to take it easy at first... it might be sketchier than the rest of our setups since you have a higher center of gravity.
But why would it not make a difference on a truck with a diff drop? I guess I’ll just have to do it and find out. ?‍♂️

Upvote 0
But why would it not make a difference on a truck with a diff drop? I guess I’ll just have to do it and find out. ?‍♂️
I didn't say it wouldn't make a difference, in fact I specifically said it is "definitely a limiting factor." I just also brought up the fact that the geometry your suspension is entirely different, your shock lengths and angles are different, your center of gravity is higher, etc. so your truck may not behave as well as everyone else's. I'd try it too, I was just giving a precautionary heads up - that's all.

Upvote 0
I took mine off after upgrading the suspension. I definitely felt more body roll at first, but now I don’t even notice it.

I do have 700# springs for what it’s worth.

Upvote 0
Back