• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suspension Help

Sota166

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Quicksand
Ok, so I am trying to hold off on a suspension lift for as long as I can but I struggling to do so :LOL:. I hope you all can help me figure out what I need so I can at least prepare for the costs. I am a complete rookie to the Tacoma, overland, mod world so please bare with me :cautious:.

I bought the Tacoma as a daily driver with the intention to go on a few overlanding trips a year. The plan is for 33's on a 3 inch lift. Will I have rubbing while on the trail? I have no clue how to shop for what I need. Do suspension lifts come as a kit? Do you buy the parts separately? What parts are necessary and what parts are extra luxuries? With no mechanical experience I will find a shop for the installation. Would it be best to order parts through the shop that does the install?

I want to do the lift the right way the first time. I don't mind spending money on what l should to do the lift correctly. I just don't what to pay more for a brand name or for parts that are not needed. What should I expect for costs :unsure:?

I have already learned a lot from you all! I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations ;).

1. Oldman emu bp51 kit complete
  2. Proper rims yo backspacing spec
  3. Will it rub, yes ,can it be minimized without sledge hammer everything. YES
  4. Anything to consider extra for the lift? Upper control arms if you overlanding thinkk about weight . The oldman emu dakars should handle pretty much everthing
  5. Best to purchase and install in one place usually yea. Most company's will give you a deal on parts or labour if you do everthing via them

As to price I cant say I live in Canada so all I can say is far less then I paid:ROFLMAO:

Ok, so I am trying to hold off on a suspension lift for as long as I can but I struggling to do so :LOL:. I hope you all can help me figure out what I need so I can at least prepare for the costs. I am a complete rookie to the Tacoma, overland, mod world so please bare with me :cautious:.

I bought the Tacoma as a daily driver with the intention to go on a few overlanding trips a year. The plan is for 33's on a 3 inch lift. Will I have rubbing while on the trail? I have no clue how to shop for what I need. Do suspension lifts come as a kit? Do you buy the parts separately? What parts are necessary and what parts are extra luxuries? With no mechanical experience I will find a shop for the installation. Would it be best to order parts through the shop that does the install?

I want to do the lift the right way the first time. I don't mind spending money on what l should to do the lift correctly. I just don't what to pay more for a brand name or for parts that are not needed. What should I expect for costs :unsure:?

I have already learned a lot from you all! I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations ;).
When this question is asked this way, I generally advise to do the same thing I did.

You need:
  • Front coils/shocks
  • Rear leaf spring replacement or add-a-leaf
  • Rear shocks
  • A spacer for the front driver side coil to compensate for "Taco lean"

You don't need, but should definitely have if you want to be doing it right the first time:
  • Front upper control arms that can handle the extra travel of the new setup
  • Extended rear brake lines (stock lines are long enough for full droop, but upgrading them is safer)
  • A spacer for your driveshaft to lose some of the gained angle (carrier bearing)
  • The ECGS bushing to replace the needle bearing in your front diff which is known to vibrate/wear out faster after lifting
Does this come in a kit? Not really, but HeadStrong Off-road creates kits to make this easier for us, and I recommend this one: https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p402/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_w/_Dakars_(HS16BK-1-Dakar).html

• It will ask you to select your coil type - I recommend the 887.
  • Then if you want your front coils/shocks assembled - I recommend doing that. Doing it yourself can be hard and/or dangerous.
  • Then if you want those upper control arms I mentioned - I recommend the Light Racing option. They are inexpensive but really make a difference. They're also adjustable which can help with your tires rubbing.
  • Then it will ask which leaf pack you want. Medium would be for "regular" use, and heavy would be if you know you'll have a RTT, tons of gear, pull trailers, etc. I recommend heavy because it's there when you need it and the ride isn't rough at all.

The way I just set it up will come to $1700 which is really not bad for what you're getting. It also comes with those extra items I mentioned you should have, except for that ECGS bushing, which is here: https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8536125-toyota-8-clamshell-bushing-eliminates-needle-bearing.html

I abuse the hell out of mine and it absolutely rides better than stock.

When this question is asked this way, I generally advise to do the same thing I did.

You need:
  • Front coils/shocks
  • Rear shocks

You don't need, but should definitely have if you want to be doing it right the first time:
  • Extended rear brake lines (stock lines are long enough for full droop, but upgrading them is safer)
  • A spacer for your driveshaft to lose some of the gained angle (carrier bearing)
  • The ECGS bushing to replace the needle bearing in your front diff which is known to vibrate/wear out faster after lifting
Does this come in a kit? Not really, but HeadStrong Off-road creates kits to make this easier for us, and I recommend this one: https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p402/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_w/_Dakars_(HS16BK-1-Dakar).html

• Then if you want your front coils/shocks assembled - I recommend doing that. Doing it yourself can be hard and/or dangerous.
  • Then if you want those upper control arms I mentioned - I recommend the Light Racing option. They are inexpensive but really make a difference. They're also adjustable which can help with your tires rubbing.
  • Then it will ask which leaf pack you want. Medium would be for "regular" use, and heavy would be if you know you'll have a RTT, tons of gear, pull trailers, etc. I recommend heavy because it's there when you need it and the ride isn't rough at all.

The way I just set it up will come to $1700 which is really not bad for what you're getting. It also comes with those extra items I mentioned you should have, except for that ECGS bushing, which is here: https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8536125-toyota-8-clamshell-bushing-eliminates-needle-bearing.html

Awesome! This is a great start... I appreciate it! It sucks not knowing anything, lol...

4. Anything to consider extra for the lift? Upper control arms if you overlanding thinkk about weight . The oldman emu dakars should handle pretty much everthing
  5. Best to purchase and install in one place usually yea. Most company's will give you a deal on parts or labour if you do everthing via them
I appreciate the info!

You will get familiar with it. I think the hardest part is when people try to help but say it as if you have previous experience. That is why I like to try to really break it down and make it clearer to understand.

You will get familiar with it. I think the hardest part is when people try to help but say it as if you have previous experience. That is why I like to try to really break it down and make it clearer to understand.
I agree! Thanks for that.

Thanks for the help!

You need:
  • Front coils/shocks
  • Rear shocks

Hey Tyler, would it make sense to bring this list into the shop I choose? Or would it better to order the list first and bring it with me?

Hey Tyler, would it make sense to bring this list into the shop I choose? Or would it better to order the list first and bring it with me?
You would be better off ordering it and bringing it with you. There are some very good YouTube videos that show how to install it if you’d want to try doing it yourself.

Get it cheap online and bring it somewhere. Thats what i did. Where to get installd up here?i have no clue.

Get it cheap online and bring it somewhere. Thats what i did. Where to get installd up here?i have no clue.
Like I said earlier, that HeadStrong site would be the best place to order from for this. Unless you keep looking and manage to find something else.

You need:
  • Front coils/shocks
  • Rear shocks

Hi Tyler,
I assume I will go with this kit. I know I need to order the ECGS bushing separately. Do I also need to order the spacer for the Taco lean?

Hi Tyler,
I assume I will go with this kit. I know I need to order the ECGS bushing separately. Do I also need to order the spacer for the Taco lean?
Besides that bushing, this kit comes with everything you need including the lean spacer, carrier bearing spacer, and extended rear brake lines.

Is your budget 1500$, 2500, or 3500 for just the complete suspension lift?

I have 33” tires and no rubbing or alterations to truck at all.

Is your budget 1500$, 2500, or 3500 for just the complete suspension lift?

I have 33” tires and no rubbing or alterations to truck at all.

I would say 2500. Im definitely willing to pay what I need to for the necessary parts. Is the difference in price more parts? Or the same amount of parts but better quality?

Thanks for the info. Would you go for better quality?

I have old man emu 1400$ for everything. That kit i showed u is one step up. I am 100% satisfied with my kit. That being said I have been looking into different setups but i think its more of an image thing vs what i really need. If u just want lift and better offroading then your stock suspension then its perfect. If u want to pre run on washboard roads for an hour then u need resi’s and 2.5” shocks

Last edited:
I have old man emu 1400$ for everything. That kit i showed u is one step up. I am 100% satisfied with my kit. That being said I have been looking into different setups but i think its more of an image thing vs what i really need. If u just want lift then its perfect. If u want to pre run on washboard roads for an hour then u need resi’s and 2.5” shocks
keep in mind that anyone with icons kings fox will never recommend these basic ones cause they have the cadillacs. With that in mind its overkill for alot of situations.

keep in mind that anyone with icons kings fox will never recommend these basic ones cause they have the cadillacs. With that in mind its overkill for alot of situations.

lmao.... no regerts!!! im not yet sure what the countryside is like out here in MN. I bought my suspension w/ the intention of slayin GA and southern mountains. fingers crossed that the terrain is similar. I hear a lot of people mention iron horse

Back