• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Steering Wheel Vibration

sqpdbill

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 Limited DCLB Auto
Army Green
I am new to this forum and previously posted a question in a new user section, but want to ask the question again: My 2021 Limited truck has a steering wheel vibration at all speeds, not severe, but annoying. I want to know if other 2021 Tacoma owners are having any of these issues. I have contacted Toyota North America and was told this is a characteristic of Tacoma and to live with it. I am not satisfied with that answer, but more importantly I want to get it fixed. So anyone else have a vibration issue? I did have the dealer rebalance the wheels but no change.

I haven't noticed any vibration although I have a 2020 off-road that I bought in August. Have you asked to test drive another Tacoma limited to compare?

Upvote 0
My steering wheel isn't vibrating, but I have a bad vibration at gas pedal, especially at 1100-1300RPM. Brand new truck!! Lookin for a fix too. Mine does this stopped in neutral as well!

Upvote 0
To be honest I am disappointed. First Toyota is this new Tacoma, downsized front a duramax, looking for a good driving smaller truck. The new Tacoma is everything I was looking for except for the steering wheel vibration. I will agree with you, the vibration I feel is present all the time, even when stopped, may be the same issue but I feel it through the steering wheel. Gear changes about 40 mph are also annoying, feels like it can't figure out what to do.
So the field service technician reviewed my truck yesterday and told me there is nothing wrong, operating as intended. So now what recourse do I have? I would like the vibration to stop.

Upvote 0
I would call bullshit too. My Tacoma doesn't have any vibrations. Not stock and not after being lifted.
Have you tried rotating the tires, see if the vibration moves to the back

Upvote 0
Yes, done it all. Don't think it's tire/wheel related, it's constant no matter the speed, almost like an engine vibration being transferred to the steering wheel.

Upvote 0
Seems like everyone has a mystery clunk.
Mines on the right side...
Unknown cause

Upvote 0
You could install the energy bushing steering rack kit, but thats a chunk of work on a new 2021. Id take it back to dealer, truck shouldnt have any vibrations that new.

When they re-balanced the tires did they road force them?

Upvote 0
Never heard of road force balancing, since the vibration is present all the time my thought was it is not a "tire" issue, but something else...

Upvote 0
Never heard of road force balancing, since the vibration is present all the time my thought was it is not a "tire" issue, but something else...

So it's all the time? Not when accelerating or braking? Mine would do it when braking. Turned out everything was overtightened. There's a bunch of complaints on this. Has to do with brakes. Worth checking out.

Upvote 0
I still bet your tires are not balanced properly, take it to a place like discount tire or another place that has a road force balancer and have them check your tires. I had KM3's for a while and they always shook the truck, and it was due to them never being balanced properly until I found a place that did the road force.

Upvote 0
So it's all the time? Not when accelerating or braking? Mine would do it when braking. Turned out everything was overtightened. There's a bunch of complaints on this. Has to do with brakes. Worth checking out.
Could you provide me with a little more info on the "over tightening", thanks.

Upvote 0
Continued my discussion with Toyota Headquarters in Texas, their response: the field engineer is the final word, he says it's operating as intended, so nothing Toyota can do.

Upvote 0
Could you provide me with a little more info on the "over tightening", thanks.
Wherever the brakes, rotors, drum brakes, anything brake related were mostly torqued to shit during assembly. They took it apart and reassembled it and it stopped.

Upvote 0
I don’t believe it has anything to do with tires or breaks. I think the engine is not properly isolated from chassis . I have a 2021 and I had a 2016 , they both do it at about 2000 rpm right before an up shift . Toyota knows about it and has chosen not to do anything about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don’t believe it has anything to do with tires or breaks. I think the engine is not properly isolated from chassis . I have a 2021 and I had a 2016 , they both do it at about 2000 rpm right before an up shift . Toyota knows about it and has chosen not to do anything about it.
Mine was doing the same thing or sounds similar. It also did on acceleration. I took it and picked it up. That's what they told me. No idea. Wonder if there's a way to look up your service records and what was performed. They should put that in My Toyota or whatever just because. Wonder if it's in there. If I can find it, I'll share. Not saying it's the same problem. But now I'm curious.

Derp, found it!

YWiMzp.jpg

Upvote 0
Back