• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Steering wheel vibration

sqpdbill

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 Limited DCLB Auto
Army Green
I recently purchased a 2021 Tacoma Limited - Army Green. I immediately noticed a vibration through the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealer for rebalancing, but was told everything was ok and that the vibration was a characteristic of new Tacomas. I am trying to verify that statement. Don't get me wrong, the vibrations are minor but annoying, it's just that I don't think it should be there. Wrote a letter to the President of Toyota North America and got a call from an assistant who conferred with my dealer and others (?) and confirmed it was a characteristic that I would have to live with. tying to see if others are also having this concern, thank you.

I had the steering wheel vibration and it went away completely after I got new tires and balanced the wheels. Pretty sure the weights were off on my old wheel sand the tire was a little uneven because alignment got knocked out a couple times.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 Tacoma SR5 crew cab 2WD V6 auto that I bought in April. The drivetrain and steering wheel vibration on mine begins at exactly 25 mph down to 3mph on decel and is repeatable. I hate it. I too took mine to the dealer at 50 miles and they also said "it's a characteristic of the truck" and that it will get better over time once it "learns my driving habits." Total bullshit, It also vibrates under 25mph part throttle, you know normal driving traffic conditions. I have 3200 miles on it and zero change. I hate this truck. I'll be very interested in what your resolution is.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 Tacoma SR5 crew cab 2WD V6 auto that I bought in April. The drivetrain and steering wheel vibration on mine begins at exactly 25 mph down to 3mph on decel and is repeatable. I hate it. I too took mine to the dealer at 50 miles and they also said "it's a characteristic of the truck" and that it will get better over time once it "learns my driving habits." Total bullshit, It also vibrates under 25mph part throttle, you know normal driving traffic conditions. I have 3200 miles on it and zero change. I hate this truck. I'll be very interested in what your resolution is.
Have you taken it to a tire shop and have them balance the wheels and tires? Start there. Let them know you have vibrations. If that doesn’t work, take it to an alignment shop.

Also every dealer is different, might not hurt to take it to another dealer to look at it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got truck back today basically not fixed!! Toyota factory service tech drove again and verified there is an issue, but no fix for it. Spoke to service manager at length again about the issue. Service manager and shop foreman are thinking it’s a rear diff issue. Have to get Toyota to approve it which I’m sure will be an issue. They want to replace it as a unit. Filed a claim with Toyota today after picking it up have a case # told would receive a call back within 1 day. Service department at dealership has been good now it’s time to battle with Toyota!! Even if they take it back there are no Tacoma’s in lots around here.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 double cab v6. Vibration 38-43 mph with rpm between 1000 and 1300 felt in seat and little in wheel. Also on deceleration around 20 mph same rpm. At dealer for 4 days once already. Put rear springs in it, drive shaft, reset pinion no change. Waiting for appointment for Toyota regional tech to look at it only 2500 miles on it!
I have a slight vibration in the front end when braking, and I’ve had it since I bought my Pro new 2-years ago. I did a LOT of research on it at first and found some have it and some do not. Some folks go to great lengths attempting to isolate the root cause, and eliminate it. Toyota knows about it, and since it seems to persist year after year, it doesn’t appear they are very concerned with addressing it. From what I’ve read, most don’t ever find anything wrong (e.g. bad tires, warped rotors, suspension issues, etc.). To be honest, I’ve come to realize my Pro is a four wheel drive tank, and I’ve just gotten used to it. :cool:

kX76FY.jpg

This fixed it for me. You could feel the vibrating in the seat and all. Sounds sort of similar to what you guys are experiencing.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 OR with 200 miles on it has a buzzing/ vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal , but only between 2000-2400 rpm.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 OR with 200 miles on it has a buzzing/ vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal , but only between 2000-2400 rpm.

Buzzing or vibrating?
Buzzing would be electric from the speaker.
Vibrating would be tactile.

Upvote 0
It's a slight vibration, but the steering wheel doesn't move, you can just feel it in your hands and feet. I've read on other forums it's hit or miss on some trucks.

Upvote 0
Returning to the dealer Thursday for 5K service and relook at vibration. Have contacted Corporate and local service manager, will test truck after service and tire rotation and see if any change, if not then straight back to dealer for "next steps".
i just bought 2021 and have vibration at 25 mph, , if you coast at constant 25mph the vibration is constant. speed up or down it goes away,

Upvote 0
I recently purchased a 2021 Tacoma Limited - Army Green. I immediately noticed a vibration through the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealer for rebalancing, but was told everything was ok and that the vibration was a characteristic of new Tacomas. I am trying to verify that statement. Don't get me wrong, the vibrations are minor but annoying, it's just that I don't think it should be there. Wrote a letter to the President of Toyota North America and got a call from an assistant who conferred with my dealer and others (?) and confirmed it was a characteristic that I would have to live with. tying to see if others are also having this concern, thank you.
i just traded my 2010 with 400,000 miles on it and my 2021, has a vibration.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 double cab v6. Vibration 38-43 mph with rpm between 1000 and 1300 felt in seat and little in wheel. Also on deceleration around 20 mph same rpm. At dealer for 4 days once already. Put rear springs in it, drive shaft, reset pinion no change. Waiting for appointment for Toyota regional tech to look at it only 2500 miles on it!
600 miles on mine, did it when i drove it off the lot, accerlating or decelerating, vibrates at 25 mph

Upvote 0
im getting rid of mine soon as i can, want my 2010 back

Upvote 0
600 miles on mine, did it when i drove it off the lot, accerlating or decelerating, vibrates at 25 mph
The question is in your case, does it still have the vibration in 4wd? If the vibration goes away, it's gonna be the needle bearing.

Upvote 0
Update on vibration between 35 and 42. They made repair attempts in past and nothing. Today got a call from Toyota not the dealer. Basically live with it they aren’t going to fix it!! Gotta file for arbitration.

Upvote 0

Curious how you made out? I'm going thru the same issue on a 21 Limited 6ft bed 3000k miles but mine is more in the seat & worse at 75 mph. After doing road balance twice dealer told me same thing, it was characteristic of Tacoma trucks.

Upvote 0
update Toyota willing to do nothing! Service Manager went to bat for me with dealer GM. Ended up trading in the 2021 SR with the vibration for a 2022 SR5. Dealer gave me what I paid for the 2021 on the trade so I paid the difference for 2022 that wasn’t much at all. Made out good didn’t have to file for arbitration and upgraded. New ride pic.

Attachments

• 95B55047-B4B1-4491-A5D0-F5D5E8339822.jpeg
    95B55047-B4B1-4491-A5D0-F5D5E8339822.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
update Toyota willing to do nothing! Service Manager went to bat for me with dealer GM. Ended up trading in the 2021 SR with the vibration for a 2022 SR5. Dealer gave me what I paid for the 2021 on the trade so I paid the difference for 2022 that wasn’t much at all. Made out good didn’t have to file for arbitration and upgraded. New ride pic.
And...no vibrations on the 2022????

Upvote 0

Any luck on a remedy?

Upvote 0

Any luck on a remedy?

Upvote 0
Have a friend with same problem brand new and steering wheel vibrates between 30 and 40. They took him for ride in another brand new Tacoma and steering wheel shakes at slightly higher speeds 35 to 45. Said they know there’s a problem but don’t have a fix for it. So they told you it’s part of the Tacoma experience how nice of them .

Upvote 0
My thoughts …if Toyota says the vibrations are the characteristics of Tacoma trucks…this is BS..at it’s best…
Who wants to drive any vehicle that has a noticeable vibrations on the steering wheel…that is annoying and uncomfortable….!
I have NOT notice any vibrations on my lifted 2019 TRD off road LB….so far…
I would trade it or sell it and NEVER buy a Tacoma again…if Toyota is unable to fix the problems..

NO one should be driving with vibrations that does NOT feel right! I think MR Toyota was to drive those Tacomas with those vibrations….I am sure he would NOT own that truck anymore..

We want our Tacomas to be as easy to drive like all other vehicles…. Having “a thorn “ on the steering , the vibrations should not be something to live with…..I am sure Toyota dealers do not seat on thumb tacks and learn to live with it…

Another reason Toyota is going backwards….they may lose there reputation as a truck worth buying? If the vibrations are bad..?
Aloha , Quality…is there any left?

Good vibrations and there is BAD vibrations…. Everyone wants the right kind vibrations…

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Updates..? Wish I never came to this “post”. NOW ..I am noticing ever vibrations…even in my Toyota Corolla….LOL !

There is a slight vibration that I “NEVER” notice before…. Sometimes it is best not to get involved!
Which the vibrations were un-noticeable before…. Gotta learn to live with it…
Our roads are getting worn out and this transfer to wheels ..to the steering wheels..and to our “heads”…lol

There is the “Good vibrations &. Bad vibrations….good is owning a Tacoma ..the bad is feeling it in the steering wheels..lol
Aloha

Upvote 0
I have the same issue with my 21 tacoma sport. The dealer said the same thing that it was normal but my brother has the same track but off road model and his doesn’t do it.

Upvote 0
I send the vibration to you...
I had a 2017 and steering wheel shook only at specific RPM. I think it was 2100. but yes it used to bug me. i bought a chevy silverado that just tried to kill me. back window defroster overheat, almost started a fire, then window shattered. a known silverado issue. there is recall in canada but not in us. i am now looking at used tacomas again...

Upvote 0
Back