• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Steering wheel vibration

sqpdbill

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 Limited DCLB Auto
Army Green
I recently purchased a 2021 Tacoma Limited - Army Green. I immediately noticed a vibration through the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealer for rebalancing, but was told everything was ok and that the vibration was a characteristic of new Tacomas. I am trying to verify that statement. Don't get me wrong, the vibrations are minor but annoying, it's just that I don't think it should be there. Wrote a letter to the President of Toyota North America and got a call from an assistant who conferred with my dealer and others (?) and confirmed it was a characteristic that I would have to live with. tying to see if others are also having this concern, thank you.

I recently purchased a 2021 Tacoma Limited - Army Green. I immediately noticed a vibration through the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealer for rebalancing, but was told everything was ok and that the vibration was a characteristic of new Tacomas. I am trying to verify that statement. Don't get me wrong, the vibrations are minor but annoying, it's just that I don't think it should be there. Wrote a letter to the President of Toyota North America and got a call from an assistant who conferred with my dealer and others (?) and confirmed it was a characteristic that I would have to live with. tying to see if others are also having this concern, thank you.

Negatory. Vibration from a brand new truck is not right. I didn’t have it on mine nor have I heard anyone else having that issue brand new.

Hand check the tie rods, wheel bearings (move wheel while it’s off the ground) and tires. Check for any abnormalities.

Upvote 0
I too just purchased a 2021 Tacoma TRD OR but i don't have any vibrations in the steering wheel

Upvote 0
yep I have a new TRD OR and no vibrations at all. at least none that I can feel.

Upvote 0
I feel engine and drivetrain vibrations that vary with drivetrain speed, and of course road feel.

Vibrations is a vague term. Wobbling from unbalanced wheels? Speed related? Anything make it better or worse?
It is a truck, not a Lexus (though my wife thinks my truck feels smoother on rough or bumpy roads than her GX460), so it may be just your getting used to it.

Another option is to test drive another Tacoma (trd pro or trd off-road) and see if it feels the same.

Upvote 0
Just spent some time in my taco and payed some attention to my steering wheel...you know, there are a lot of vibrations felt through the steering wheel :eek:
But that's normal :D it's a truck, not a Cadillac. You'll get used to it.

Upvote 0
Truck it is. I don't like the consistent vibration that makes my hands feel like they are going to sleep.
The vibration does not seem to vary with speed so no clue what the cause could be. I can live with it, but do not like it.

Upvote 0
Hmm...if it was just truckyness, I'd expect the vibration to vary with road quality and drivetrain speed. Try test driving another Tacoma and see if it is the same, I suspect something may be up more than sensitive fingers.

Upvote 0
I wonder why I don't have that characteristic? I want it if I'm supposed to have it! Hell yeah who doesn't want their steering wheel not shake after paying $50,000.

They're so FOS!!
I send the vibration to you...

Upvote 0
Negatory. Vibration from a brand new truck is not right. I didn’t have it on mine nor have I heard anyone else having that issue brand new.

Hand check the tie rods, wheel bearings (move wheel while it’s off the ground) and tires. Check for any abnormalities.
I live in a very muddy private road. I noticed caked mud on the inner rim which could cause your problem too.
I also hosed off the wheels and calipers, and noticed the next morning that water had no place to escape on the inner steel rim gully, and it froze, basically creating a new wheel weight, Bad design on the rim.

Upvote 0
I live in a very muddy private road. I noticed caked mud on the inner rim which could cause your problem too.
I also hosed off the wheels and calipers, and noticed the next morning that water had no place to escape on the inner steel rim gully, and it froze, basically creating a new wheel weight, Bad design on the rim.
T

Upvote 0
Returning to the dealer Thursday for 5K service and relook at vibration. Have contacted Corporate and local service manager, will test truck after service and tire rotation and see if any change, if not then straight back to dealer for "next steps".

Upvote 0
Dealer completed 5K service, rotated the tires. The steering wheel vibration remains!!! Next step is the regional field service person scheduled for the 25th.

So another stupid question: The sticker on the door recommends 29 PSI in front and rear tires, the dealer notes this factory recommendation on the service report but then inflates the tires to 32 PSI. Is there something else that I am missing? Maybe I am just venting, sorry.

Upvote 0
Keep at it..,for dealer to correct it!
.if it does NOT fill right..(steering vibrations)...then something is wrong!
Every once an while..a bad truck can happen...from factory...tires ,rims ,tie rods ,etc...
Maybe as simple tire weight fell off?...
Hope you get this problem solve and let’s all know!
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
My vibrate in my 2018... it make un comfortable at times.. Sometimes I can ignore it.

Upvote 0
Mines vibrate slightly and it's annoying. You should ask for a new one I can't . Mine is a 2018. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Upvote 0
but was told everything was ok and that the vibration was a characteristic of new Tacomas.

That's wild. Absolutely not right. Have any other close dealers?

My steering wheel would vibrate at certain speeds randomly. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't.
Mine started after a few thousand miles. I believe mine was from a bad wheel balancing. I was running the factory tires on same size wheels.
Had it checked and it was not balanced.
Went with a heavier wheel with a lot more wheel weights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My 2021 vibrat also with 1600 miles just noticed it today at hwy speed of 70 also noticed a pull to the side its on so right lane to the right left lane to the left guess it's set to true on alignment

Upvote 0
I recently experienced the steering wheel starting to vibrate. It just started doing it. I believe it had to do with the tires/wheels being out of balance, because I got a new set of wheels and tires and now I am not experience the vibrations anymore.

I would start by taking the wheels in for balancing at a different tire shop. Let them know you have vibrations.

then if that dosent work look at having the alignment done.

there should be minimal vibrations from the steering wheel if you are on a paved road in good condition like a freeway.

Upvote 0
I just check tire pressure they had it at 40 psi when the door sticker says 32 . I lowered to 35 now the truck says 33 lol . Don't think they cause a vibration but sure will cause tire ware .

Upvote 0
Has anybody found a solution on this. I’m having the same issue on my 2021 with 600 miles. Would appreciate the help

Upvote 0
Dealer completed 5K service, rotated the tires. The steering wheel vibration remains!!! Next step is the regional field service person scheduled for the 25th.

So another stupid question: The sticker on the door recommends 29 PSI in front and rear tires, the dealer notes this factory recommendation on the service report but then inflates the tires to 32 PSI. Is there something else that I am missing? Maybe I am just venting, sorry.
Have you found a solution to this ? I have the same problem

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 double cab v6. Vibration 38-43 mph with rpm between 1000 and 1300 felt in seat and little in wheel. Also on deceleration around 20 mph same rpm. At dealer for 4 days once already. Put rear springs in it, drive shaft, reset pinion no change. Waiting for appointment for Toyota regional tech to look at it only 2500 miles on it!

Upvote 0
I have a slight vibration in the front end when braking, and I’ve had it since I bought my Pro new 2-years ago. I did a LOT of research on it at first and found some have it and some do not. Some folks go to great lengths attempting to isolate the root cause, and eliminate it. Toyota knows about it, and since it seems to persist year after year, it doesn’t appear they are very concerned with addressing it. From what I’ve read, most don’t ever find anything wrong (e.g. bad tires, warped rotors, suspension issues, etc.). To be honest, I’ve come to realize my Pro is a four wheel drive tank, and I’ve just gotten used to it. :cool:

Upvote 0
Back