• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Steering wheel vibration

sqpdbill

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 Limited DCLB Auto
Army Green
I recently purchased a 2021 Tacoma Limited - Army Green. I immediately noticed a vibration through the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealer for rebalancing, but was told everything was ok and that the vibration was a characteristic of new Tacomas. I am trying to verify that statement. Don't get me wrong, the vibrations are minor but annoying, it's just that I don't think it should be there. Wrote a letter to the President of Toyota North America and got a call from an assistant who conferred with my dealer and others (?) and confirmed it was a characteristic that I would have to live with. tying to see if others are also having this concern, thank you.

If the vibration comes from the seat, its probably chassis related ( meaning everything except the steering).
If the vibration is felt in the steering, next question is .
Does it do it braking (no?), then its not the brakes.
Does it do it at all speeds, check tires rims and steering components.
Does it do it only at certain speeds ( the harmonic range).

You might want to sit down while reading this.
I find it amazing that nobody has made this comment yet...so keep reading...

The 1st generation , 2nd generation and some SOME (SOME), 3rd generation Tacos.
Have a bad fitment between the front driver side axle and the differential housing bearing.
This is a known issue for some of us with the older tacos (re: tacomaworld.com)

The good news is that there is a solution...
You need to have the bearing replaced with a bushing made by ECGS.
(East Coast Gear Supply).
They also sell the installation tools to do the job ( about $150), complete.....a case of beer with a good buddy and a sunny afternoon.

The vibration issue is even more pronounced as the truck ages or has a lift kit,...or both....

Known issue,...known issue...known issue....

For the few that do vibrate, Toyota play dumb.
They know about it and why its happening, but the cost to correct this is too expensive.
You , mister consumer are now a Toyota replaceable commodity.
GM once thought like this.
And they eventually needed your tax dollars to keep from sinking like a rock.
Toyota will eventually have the same fate.
Shareholder return/falling sales = history repeating.

Upvote 0
i just bought 2021 and have vibration at 25 mph, , if you coast at constant 25mph the vibration is constant. speed up or down it goes away,
I have a 2022 trd sport and it's constant vibration at exactly 25mph as well also around 41 and 69-71mph. Just really bad and constant at 25mph.

Upvote 0
I have a 2022 trd sport and it's constant vibration at exactly 25mph as well also around 41 and 69-71mph. Just really bad and constant at 25mph.
If no mods, I would assume you need a rebalance on the wheels.

If it goes away in 4WD its likely something with the front needle bearing.

Upvote 0
Funny you bring this steering wheel up, I purchased my 1st brand new Tacoma after 35 plus years owning Silverado / Ram owner I am very happy with my new Tacoma ,But someone please tell me why is when I start my Tacoma does the steering wheel go left to right quickly when started?

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with mine. Dealer I bought it from did a bunch of stuff. Had the FTS come look at it. They replaced 2 tires, same issue. Took it to a different dealer, they replaced tires, tried different wheels and tires. Did a lot of stuff, same issue. First dealership told me that Toyota said "it is within the limits of acceptable vibration". WTF? Second dealer basically said the same after much troubleshooting. I said "So your saying, that Toyota engineers designed a truck to vibrate at 80mph". He said "yes".

Mind blown!

Upvote 0
I feel engine and drivetrain vibrations that vary with drivetrain speed, and of course road feel.

Vibrations is a vague term. Wobbling from unbalanced wheels? Speed related? Anything make it better or worse?
It is a truck, not a Lexus (though my wife thinks my truck feels smoother on rough or bumpy roads than her GX460), so it may be just your getting used to it.

Another option is to test drive another Tacoma (trd pro or trd off-road) and see if it feels the same.

Upvote 0
I have a 21 that vibrates around 2000 rpm. I had a 17 and it did the same thing. It feels like the engine is not isolated from body. I don’t mind hearing the engine roar, but I don’t like feeling it with hands and foot on gas pedal

Upvote 0
going to try to revive this thread. I was getting vibrations when braking, so I replaced rotors and pads only with 30k in the truck, vibes went away fast forward 3 weeks back to vibration when braking ONLY. driving me crazy any input will be appreciated

Upvote 0
Loose steering component. Crawl under, you want the weight of the vehicle on the tires. Give all of the connection points a good shake checking for loosness. Then jack the wheels up off the ground (use jack stands we don't want to read your obituary) then give them another good shake. Compare the two. You shouldn't have any real loosness when on the tires, and when in the air they should move, but not be sloppy.

Also, check the tire balance and rim runout. An out of balance tire, or a bent rim can do this plus it can wear out a suspension quickly.

Upvote 0
Dealer completed 5K service, rotated the tires. The steering wheel vibration remains!!! Next step is the regional field service person scheduled for the 25th.

So another stupid question: The sticker on the door recommends 29 PSI in front and rear tires, the dealer notes this factory recommendation on the service report but then inflates the tires to 32 PSI. Is there something else that I am missing? Maybe I am just venting, sorry.
Your dealer

Upvote 0
I have bought a 2023 Tacoma; I only have 2,000 miles on the truck. The vibrations started around 1,000 miles are now they are considerably worse. I took it back to Toyota when they first started happening but, the service manager said, "It's just the way they built this truck." anything over 40mph the steering wheel will vibrate, but anything over 60-65 the steering wheel will have a death wobble. Took it back to the dealer where I bought it and the service manager said "look its just something your going to have to get use to" all they did was look at my psi in the tires.

Upvote 0
Call Corporate, tell them your dealer refuses to help.
1705781017971.png

Upvote 0
I did. And I wrote to them. The service manager told me "idk why you would wanna buy one of these because this is just how they drive." Welll.... it didn't when I bought it. Told me to put a couple bags on sand in the bed of the truck and it'll even out. But that's all they can recommend

Upvote 0
I did. And I wrote to them. The service manager told me "idk why you would wanna buy one of these because this is just how they drive." Welll.... it didn't when I bought it. Told me to put a couple bags on sand in the bed of the truck and it'll even out. But that's all they can recommend
Don't go to the local or your dealer CALL corporate.,..... Service managers do not work there.
Be prepared to give them the dealer info and names of people you talked to at YOUR dealer.
Give them your phone number and email,..... ask when you can expect a reply.
Before the call ends ask for the case or claim number you have been assigned for the complaint.
Should take 30 minutes of your day,..... you will be contacted to schedule an appointment.

Upvote 0
Back