• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

SPOD

Hubermr

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Can anyone get me a link to an SPOD? Or does someone have a cheaper way to make a fuse box so I can clean up the wiring I have?

I spent hours planning and pricing out relay and fuse blocks...then I just bought a Switch Pro.

If 5 relays seems like something you'll never exceed and like the challenge there's a nice build guide for the Bussmann RTMR over on TW. But an SPOD or Switch Pro is nice and simple and feature packed.

Buy once cry later is my model.
image.jpg

The bantam is the most efficient unit with 8 terminal with the option of adding up to 32 components with only one wire going to the engine bay to the cabin.. your options are limitless.

Super happy with my Switch Pro. Incredibly easy to wire up and works great.

It looks like this is heading in the switchpros direction, but here's a cheaper alternative if you don't want to go that route. It's just a blue sea fuse block, breaker, and an aluminum mounting plate.
fuseblock.jpg

Removing the factory fuse box cover is sometimes a struggle.

It looks like this is heading in the switchpros direction, but here's a cheaper alternative if you don't want to go that route. It's just a blue sea fuse block, breaker, and an aluminum mounting plate.
fuseblock.jpg

What do you do for relays? That hung me up. And a power tray is $85+, once I added everything up I was close to $400 and a massive wiring job.

What do you do for relays? That hung me up. And a power tray is $85+, once I added everything up I was close to $400 and a massive wiring job.

Looking at that much with the wiring job and all that then I may as well do the SPOD SE or whatever it is.

fuseblock.jpg

I have looked at that option but I think I’m going to do the ARB compressor that mounts in that spot.

Looking at that much with the wiring job and all that then I may as well do the SPOD SE or whatever it is.

Yeah. The Blueseas fuse panel is nice, but it's big and doesn't solve where to put relays. The Bussmann RTMR does both, but only has 5 relay slots. Building in possible expansion, I'd want to do 2. And it uses specialty pins that require purchasing a different crimper and all the terminals/plugs/etc, plus a circuit breaker. Add in a tray or mounting solution and switches, it was getting really close to $400 and who knows how many hours doing all the wiring.

A SPOD/Switch Pro has everything, I just wish the Switch Pro had a grounding solution built in like the SPOD. But Bluesea makes a nice mini bus bar.

1581357466263.png

The relays are just hanging out under the powertray. I thought about buying any one of the relay mounting brackets, but didn't see a real need to do so. If I'm wrong, please someone tell me, but I don't have them mounted on anything.
So far, out of all my wired accessories, I only have 2 that even have relays. (ditch lights and lightbar)

I have looked at that option but I think I’m going to do the ARB compressor that mounts in that spot.
I'm leaning to the bed-mounted cubby option for my compressor (VIAR).

I'm leaning to the bed-mounted cubby option for my compressor (VIAR).
I was looking at that option but I’m most likely putting a Decked system in the bed of my truck. So no cubby for me.

The relays are just hanging out under the powertray. I thought about buying any one of the relay mounting brackets, but didn't see a real need to do so. If I'm wrong, please someone tell me, but I don't have them mounted on anything.
So far, out of all my wired accessories, I only have 2 that even have relays. (ditch lights and lightbar)

What other accessories do you have? All of mine use a relay. But they're all lights. I have a scoop light and a bumper light bar, and will be adding rock lights, a roof light bar and scene pods.
They don't need to be mounted, it's just an organization thing. I have two on a little bracket by the battery and the thought of having 3 more floating around drives me nuts.

For additional components, I've got bed LED strips and rock lights. With the powertray having such close tolerances to surrounding equipment and various underhood components, any nearby mounting solutions for relays would make that particular area very "busy" and since they're just tucked under the tray, I'm okay with that.

SwitchPro 9100 is another product to consider. We love our SP9100 in our trucks, and our customers do as well!

We do have them in stock, Feel free to reach out if you have any questions

SwitchPro 9100 is another product to consider. We love our SP9100 in our trucks, and our customers do as well!

We do have them in stock, Feel free to reach out if you have any questions
How much for this poor canadian

Your best would be to email them. From what I've heard they have pretty good customer service and at less than 1/2 the cost of the 9100 i'd say it's worth looking into it.

So I finally got around to ordering the SPOD and I went with the SE 8 with the HD panel in the cab. I appreciate everyone that helped me in this thread!

How is the range?
I havent really messed with it too much to test the max range. I pretty much just tested the unit with a spare pod I had in the garage to make sure it functions. I imagine the range is plenty for you to sit at a fire and turn bed lights on or turn lights on from inside a roof top tent easily. I've been waiting for my lights to arrive from Australia so I can get it all finished. Covid really screwed up shipping times unfortunately.

I looked into the Trigger Controller as well, but ultimately went with the SwitchPros. Though, the Trigger controller has a cool concept with the switches being remote, I can't imagine walking around the camp site with it in my pocket, then accidentally misplacing it somewhere. The SwichPros is capable of connecting through Bluetooth on your phone and their app, so I went that route. It's less likely that I'll misplace my phone and I would have it around the camp fire, or in the RTT as well.

Not sure about this, but does the Trigger Controller's remote have someway of locating the remote if you misplace it? Or do the lights in the switches stay on when it is dark out?

Back