• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Solar panels

sdVICE112

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Has anybody run solar panels on a roof rack or bed rack for camping usage? Looking into getting a setup or something along those lines just wondering if anyone has done it or have knowledge in that field.

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2012/02/solar-power-101/

Here is a good read up on the basics , I personally never done it but I have heard great things from the Coleman panels and which go on sale alot
6ae52f7e94bd9702b217a89634e112bd.jpg

Bringing this thread back to life...hopefully (y)

I'm curious about what people are running panel wise too. I've just started to research them and really like the form factor of the tri-folds. If you have any info to share, please do :)

Ill be permanently mounting a Renogy Eclipse 100W panel to my victory rack system. This will power through a Redarc DC-DC system which will charge the stock battery I currently have setup. Long-term plan is to put in x2 Group 31 batteries which will support the vehicles electrical draws.

I run solar on my trailer setup which really isnt going to be that much different than a vehicle setup. Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• JKP_9508.jpg
    JKP_9508.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 154
Bringing this thread back to life...hopefully (y)

I'm curious about what people are running panel wise too. I've just started to research them and really like the form factor of the tri-folds. If you have any info to share, please do :)
I, too, need to be schooled on solar panels. I’ll be installing two on the top of my Four Wheel Camper when I get it but I haven’t really done my research yet. Hopefully it doesn’t end up being too complicated to get a good system going.

I believe a lithium battery setup is better, correct?

I honestly think I’m going to try the Harbor Freight 100 watt panel system and see how I like it.
Post up some info if you do get it. I actually have good luck with everything I buy from Harbor Freight.

I went with this one and it's been rock solid so far. I like that it can be used standalone and charges up my Jackery with no probs. I wanted to keep the size down, so the 60W is perfect.

ROCKPALS Foldable 60W Solar Panel

This is the thread that got me to sign up on this site! I have a victory roof rack with a 100 watt 12 volt panel and cb ant. on it. The two arb fridge freezers in the bed and a 110 AH deep cycle with morning star charge control. One arb is set at 36f the other is set at 6f. it will last on a full charge about 15 hours, then the arbs will shut off. Four days later I have a green light on my controller. Living 60 miles from the Canada line in the sand does not give me a lot of charge time a day. When my roof nest falcon gets to my house I am thinking two more 100 watt panels on the top of it will keep up. 300 watts divided by 12 volts gives me 25 amps and the arbs run 7.3 amps each(when running). Yes I am an electrician. If any one has idea on this please chime in.

This is the thread that got me to sign up on this site! I have a victory roof rack with a 100 watt 12 volt panel and cb ant. on it. The two arb fridge freezers in the bed and a 110 AH deep cycle with morning star charge control. One arb is set at 36f the other is set at 6f. it will last on a full charge about 15 hours, then the arbs will shut off. Four days later I have a green light on my controller. Living 60 miles from the Canada line in the sand does not give me a lot of charge time a day. When my roof nest falcon gets to my house I am thinking two more 100 watt panels on the top of it will keep up. 300 watts divided by 12 volts gives me 25 amps and the arbs run 7.3 amps each(when running). Yes I am an electrician. If any one has idea on this please chime in.
Adding 2 more panels if you have the the room would definitely help and I would also consider another battery or 2. Hiw big is you charge controller

Last edited:
I forgot to say that the arb plug ins are on relays so when the truck is running the truck battery feeds them and when the truck is off the solar takes over. My thinking is all day the solar can charge without a load to take from the battery. All that I am asking from the solar system is to run for the night. I am running out of real estate in a dcsb for more battery. Perhaps a lithium ion battery could take a charge faster?

What do you use your system to run? How long does it take to charge your battery bank from 50 percent back to 100 percent without a load? from the photo I think you are hooked up in parallel (12 volts)?

I forgot to say that the arb plug ins are on relays so when the truck is running the truck battery feeds them and when the truck is off the solar takes over. My thinking is all day the solar can charge without a load to take from the battery. All that I am asking from the solar system is to run for the night. I am running out of real estate in a dcsb for more battery. Perhaps a lithium ion battery could take a charge faster?
Do you already have a second battery mounted somewhere in the engine bay? You can do that to save room in the bed.

Arebyounguys running biggerrn alternators ass well

You could fit 3nim engine bay too hahaha didnyou need the space

Post up some info if you do get it. I actually have good luck with everything I buy from Harbor Freight.

You should pick up an iPhone charger there. :sneaky:

Ill be permanently mounting a Renogy Eclipse 100W panel to my victory rack system. This will power through a Redarc DC-DC system which will charge the stock battery I currently have setup. Long-term plan is to put in x2 Group 31 batteries which will support the vehicles electrical draws.

I run solar on my trailer setup which really isnt going to be that much different than a vehicle setup. Let me know if you have any questions!

I'm doing a similar thing with the Redarc. I have my factory battery connected like normal and my secondary battery will be charged through the Redarc. I'm trying to maintain the factory battery since I will have a warranty with Toyota for a while. I bought my setup from Off-Grid Engineering. I don't have solar panels yet, the Redarc makes it easy to plug in the solar panels when the time comes.

My air compressor is where the second battery would go. The idea is to be able to remove most all of the camping gear (RTT solar fridge freezer propane tank) and be able to plant it on my hj60 cruiser or the '81 hilux 4 door. 24 volt land cruisers (JDM) have no problem with the load overnight and I have no solar on the truck (as of now). It come down to faster charge time in daylight. I do not think the truck needs more battery or alt., just the pile of crap system my dumb ass has put together.

My air compressor is where the second battery would go. The idea is to be able to remove most all of the camping gear (RTT solar fridge freezer propane tank) and be able to plant it on my hj60 cruiser or the '81 hilux 4 door. 24 volt land cruisers (JDM) have no problem with the load overnight and I have no solar on the truck (as of now). It come down to faster charge time in daylight. I do not think the truck needs more battery or alt., just the pile of crap system my dumb ass has put together.
What is your charge controller charging at currently, seems like your option is you original just plunk some more panels on

Solar is a new thing to me. Talking to someone who has played with the stuff is better than looking to companies that sell parts for the answers, (good way to piss money). More panels makes sense to me. I have not taken a amp reading on the controller because it works, just not as good as I think it should. My world is all 480 volt 3 phase and all the amps a utility Co will give me. I just sized a service for a client at 5000 amp 480 volt so how long can it take to charge a car battery LOL.

I will keep beer and ice cream in the desert if it's the last thing I do!

Back