Solar - Solar panels | 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma Forum - Tacoma3G.com

Solar Solar panels

• 🤙Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum!
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!
  • 🚧Attention T3G members and vistors!🚧
    Our February "Rig of the Month" contest is now OPEN! Post a photo of your truck in the submission thread to enter the contest. Vote for your favorite truck by hitting the "like" button on the post. The first place winner will receive a $100 Amazon gift card and a T3G patch and sticker. (You may dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the top right of this box.)

sdVICE112

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Giovanni
T3G Member
#2,582
Has anybody run solar panels on a roof rack or bed rack for camping usage? Looking into getting a setup or something along those lines just wondering if anyone has done it or have knowledge in that field.

sdsponger

T3G Level: Silver
T3G Supporter
First Name
Damon
T3G Member
Bringing this thread back to life...hopefully (y)

I'm curious about what people are running panel wise too. I've just started to research them and really like the form factor of the tri-folds. If you have any info to share, please do :)

TRDOFHOLLAND

T3G Level: Platinum
First Name
Jeremy
T3G Member
Ill be permanently mounting a Renogy Eclipse 100W panel to my victory rack system. This will power through a Redarc DC-DC system which will charge the stock battery I currently have setup. Long-term plan is to put in x2 Group 31 batteries which will support the vehicles electrical draws.

I run solar on my trailer setup which really isnt going to be that much different than a vehicle setup. Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
Bringing this thread back to life...hopefully (y)

I'm curious about what people are running panel wise too. I've just started to research them and really like the form factor of the tri-folds. If you have any info to share, please do :)
I, too, need to be schooled on solar panels. I’ll be installing two on the top of my Four Wheel Camper when I get it but I haven’t really done my research yet. Hopefully it doesn’t end up being too complicated to get a good system going.

I believe a lithium battery setup is better, correct?

ShikyoX

T3G Level: Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Trevor
T3G Member

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
I honestly think I’m going to try the Harbor Freight 100 watt panel system and see how I like it.
Post up some info if you do get it. I actually have good luck with everything I buy from Harbor Freight.

Millhouse

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mill
T3G Member
#5,309
This is the thread that got me to sign up on this site! I have a victory roof rack with a 100 watt 12 volt panel and cb ant. on it. The two arb fridge freezers in the bed and a 110 AH deep cycle with morning star charge control. One arb is set at 36f the other is set at 6f. it will last on a full charge about 15 hours, then the arbs will shut off. Four days later I have a green light on my controller. Living 60 miles from the Canada line in the sand does not give me a lot of charge time a day. When my roof nest falcon gets to my house I am thinking two more 100 watt panels on the top of it will keep up. 300 watts divided by 12 volts gives me 25 amps and the arbs run 7.3 amps each(when running). Yes I am an electrician. If any one has idea on this please chime in.

ShikyoX

T3G Supporter
First Name
Trevor
T3G Member
This is the thread that got me to sign up on this site! I have a victory roof rack with a 100 watt 12 volt panel and cb ant. on it. The two arb fridge freezers in the bed and a 110 AH deep cycle with morning star charge control. One arb is set at 36f the other is set at 6f. it will last on a full charge about 15 hours, then the arbs will shut off. Four days later I have a green light on my controller. Living 60 miles from the Canada line in the sand does not give me a lot of charge time a day. When my roof nest falcon gets to my house I am thinking two more 100 watt panels on the top of it will keep up. 300 watts divided by 12 volts gives me 25 amps and the arbs run 7.3 amps each(when running). Yes I am an electrician. If any one has idea on this please chime in.
Adding 2 more panels if you have the the room would definitely help and I would also consider another battery or 2. Hiw big is you charge controller

Last edited:

Millhouse

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mill
T3G Member
#5,309
I forgot to say that the arb plug ins are on relays so when the truck is running the truck battery feeds them and when the truck is off the solar takes over. My thinking is all day the solar can charge without a load to take from the battery. All that I am asking from the solar system is to run for the night. I am running out of real estate in a dcsb for more battery. Perhaps a lithium ion battery could take a charge faster?

Millhouse

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mill
T3G Member
#5,309
What do you use your system to run? How long does it take to charge your battery bank from 50 percent back to 100 percent without a load? from the photo I think you are hooked up in parallel (12 volts)?

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
I forgot to say that the arb plug ins are on relays so when the truck is running the truck battery feeds them and when the truck is off the solar takes over. My thinking is all day the solar can charge without a load to take from the battery. All that I am asking from the solar system is to run for the night. I am running out of real estate in a dcsb for more battery. Perhaps a lithium ion battery could take a charge faster?
Do you already have a second battery mounted somewhere in the engine bay? You can do that to save room in the bed.

ShikyoX

T3G Supporter
First Name
Trevor
T3G Member
You could fit 3nim engine bay too hahaha didnyou need the space

3cent.Taco

T3G Level: Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Vincent
T3G Member
#2,889
Post up some info if you do get it. I actually have good luck with everything I buy from Harbor Freight.
You should pick up an iPhone charger there. :sneaky:

Ill be permanently mounting a Renogy Eclipse 100W panel to my victory rack system. This will power through a Redarc DC-DC system which will charge the stock battery I currently have setup. Long-term plan is to put in x2 Group 31 batteries which will support the vehicles electrical draws.

I run solar on my trailer setup which really isnt going to be that much different than a vehicle setup. Let me know if you have any questions!
I'm doing a similar thing with the Redarc. I have my factory battery connected like normal and my secondary battery will be charged through the Redarc. I'm trying to maintain the factory battery since I will have a warranty with Toyota for a while. I bought my setup from Off-Grid Engineering. I don't have solar panels yet, the Redarc makes it easy to plug in the solar panels when the time comes.