• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Skid plate replacement

cambo139

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
If I were to upgrade my bumper to an armored one would I need to change out my stock OEM skidplate?

If I were to upgrade my bumper to an armored one would I need to change out my stock OEM skidplate?
No, most fabricators have allowed the use of the stock skid, and their aftermarket skids can also work with the stock skid as well.

However when you put on a bumper you’ll realize how terrible the stock one is and want to replace it.
D4C97A5E-BF04-4A98-AFDA-F3D690AF4861.jpeg
2B42DDDC-9E93-45C0-9915-D3C7C4402A21.jpeg

However when you put on a bumper you’ll realize how terrible the stock one is and want to replace it.
D4C97A5E-BF04-4A98-AFDA-F3D690AF4861.jpeg
2B42DDDC-9E93-45C0-9915-D3C7C4402A21.jpeg
This. The factory skids are really just a splash guard. It won't do much of anything to stop damage to the oil pan or front diff if you come down on anything too hard, or if the object is just the right shape. They also don't do much to protect the crossmembers should you hit anything from the front at speed. They fold up like tin foil. I highly recommend aftermarket skid plates, even if you just stick with 1/4" aluminum.

We sell both aluminum and steel skids and both have proved more than effective enough while remaining simple and easy to install! As you can see from the picture above, they protect just about everything that could ever need protecting. Technically the only "non-aftermarket" skid worth anything is the TRD PRO skid, the design is more complicated but it is still effective and we make a MID SKID that bolts right up to it!

We sell both aluminum and steel skids and both have proved more than effective enough while remaining simple and easy to install! As you can see from the picture above, they protect just about everything that could ever need protecting. Technically the only "non-aftermarket" skid worth anything is the TRD PRO skid, the design is more complicated but it is still effective and we make a MID SKID that bolts right up to it!
Can you send me a link?

Post a link!

They should all provide enough clearance you should be good. To be sure, you could always look for the specific bumper and skid plate to see what others have.

I have the TRD one and I know that it fits Lil B and SSO.

Post a link!

They should all provide enough clearance you should be good. To be sure, you could always look for the specific bumper and skid plate to see what others have.

I have the TRD one and I know that it fits Lil B and SSO.

The plus of the TRD is they allowed for access to change the oil/ and filter without removing the skid plate.
A little extra thinking does matter, and people will pay extra for that accessibility.
Still, some prefer a steel plate over aluminum.......... they can get heavy with steel.
The size difference compared to stock. (TW pic)
1690716980028.png

DO NOT get the ARB skidplate, yes it's a good price for the coverage but you have to drop two plates to change the oil and it's a massive PITA. That is all the advice I have to give.

I have the RSI Aluminum skids.

They have great coverage and have access for oil change without removing.

They are strong enough for major impacts.

Use antiseize on any aluminum to aluminum contacts or they'll make a shit ton of noise.

-M

We'll look into the RSI Aluminum skids when we start working on the Tacoma. Got to finish mounting the new tires and jeep wheels on the Wrangler before we can take her in.

Back