ARMOR Skid plate replacement

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Malcolm

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
Military
Navy
T3G Member
If I were to upgrade my bumper to an armored one would I need to change out my stock OEM skidplate?
No, most fabricators have allowed the use of the stock skid, and their aftermarket skids can also work with the stock skid as well.

Jay

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Jacob
Military
Navy
T3G Member
However when you put on a bumper you’ll realize how terrible the stock one is and want to replace it.
D4C97A5E-BF04-4A98-AFDA-F3D690AF4861.jpeg
2B42DDDC-9E93-45C0-9915-D3C7C4402A21.jpeg

0uTkAsT

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
First Name
Josh
T3G Member
However when you put on a bumper you’ll realize how terrible the stock one is and want to replace it.
D4C97A5E-BF04-4A98-AFDA-F3D690AF4861.jpeg
2B42DDDC-9E93-45C0-9915-D3C7C4402A21.jpeg
This. The factory skids are really just a splash guard. It won't do much of anything to stop damage to the oil pan or front diff if you come down on anything too hard, or if the object is just the right shape. They also don't do much to protect the crossmembers should you hit anything from the front at speed. They fold up like tin foil. I highly recommend aftermarket skid plates, even if you just stick with 1/4" aluminum.

mh.meier

= VI • Diamond
First Name
Mike
Military
Marine Corps
T3G Member
We sell both aluminum and steel skids and both have proved more than effective enough while remaining simple and easy to install! As you can see from the picture above, they protect just about everything that could ever need protecting. Technically the only "non-aftermarket" skid worth anything is the TRD PRO skid, the design is more complicated but it is still effective and we make a MID SKID that bolts right up to it!

Top Bottom