• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Shop install or DIY?

BrotacoTRD

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
Got a set of kings shocks seating in my garage and a set of TC UCAs on the way...should I pull the trigger on installing these on a shop (post quotes) or DIY? I've done coilovers install on my own project cars along the years never done a new truck before with warranty which concerns me a little. Let me know what you guys think...

This should be a DIY for most people unless money is really no factor. But even then, there’s that extra satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

The difficulty and time taken yourself compared to the price you’d pay at a shop is worth it in itself. This isn’t a particularly hard DIY with common tool knowledge and a YouTube video (there’s some really good videos). All you’ll need to do at the end is take it to an alignment shop which should be around $50.

I would definitely say DIY (even though I would like to make money on that install). Coil-overs and UCA's are easy to install and doing the install will give you some insight on how it all comes together and works which in turn may help you figure out when something is wrong. IT will also give you a much stronger ability to be able to repair something that went wrong on the trail if you are already familiar with the parts. Plus there are a ton of guys who will help you out and a ton of YouTube videos on it. There is even an upper control arm video that Total Chaos has posted up on here!

Got a set of kings shocks seating in my garage and a set of TC UCAs on the way...should I pull the trigger on installing these on a shop (post quotes) or DIY? I've done coilovers install on my own project cars along the years never done a new truck before with warranty which concerns me a little. Let me know what you guys think...
Having gone both routes, I say go ahead and take on that project yourself and make a day of it with some buddies.

The necessary tools and difficulty isn't bad. I've done suspension work on VW/Audis, Hondas, and Mitsubishi's. The Tacoma appears to be WAAAAY easier.

Here's a link to a post I made in my build thread. The process should be very similar for most common Tacoma suspension work. Tools should be similar, too.

Link to suspension videos

Last edited:
I'm doing mine tomorrow night at 8. Me and my cousin. He has a large industrial garage, portable lifts, air tools and time. Based on the videos, we're thinking under those conditions it should take 3-4 hours doing the 5100s all around with the OME 884, and a 1-1/2" AAL in the rear.

"THINKING" LMAO

I'm doing mine tomorrow night at 8. Me and my cousin. He has a large industrial garage, portable lifts, air tools and time. Based on the videos, we're thinking under those conditions it should take 3-4 hours doing the 5100s all around with the OME 884, and a 1-1/2" AAL in the rear.

"THINKING" LMAO
Honestly what you’re thinking might be pretty spot on. Fronts aren’t bad if you know what you’re doing and the rear is even easier on account you don’t have to slip the shock out.

UCA’s should take MAYBE 15-20mins per side of you have the proper prep/setup.

Back