SUSPENSION Shop install or DIY?

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

BrotacoTRD

= III • Silver
First Name
nevO
T3G Member
Got a set of kings shocks seating in my garage and a set of TC UCAs on the way...should I pull the trigger on installing these on a shop (post quotes) or DIY? I've done coilovers install on my own project cars along the years never done a new truck before with warranty which concerns me a little. Let me know what you guys think...

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
This should be a DIY for most people unless money is really no factor. But even then, there’s that extra satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

The difficulty and time taken yourself compared to the price you’d pay at a shop is worth it in itself. This isn’t a particularly hard DIY with common tool knowledge and a YouTube video (there’s some really good videos). All you’ll need to do at the end is take it to an alignment shop which should be around $50.

Jay

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Jacob
Military
Navy
T3G Member

Jay

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Jacob
Military
Navy
T3G Member

Jay

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Jacob
Military
Navy
T3G Member
Dammit! If I wasn’t moving for work, I’d ask to see if I can join! I wanna do my own bilstein 5100 install but need some tools. Maybe next time!
Eh ditch it

mh.meier

= VI • Diamond
First Name
Mike
Military
Marine Corps
T3G Member
I would definitely say DIY (even though I would like to make money on that install). Coil-overs and UCA's are easy to install and doing the install will give you some insight on how it all comes together and works which in turn may help you figure out when something is wrong. IT will also give you a much stronger ability to be able to repair something that went wrong on the trail if you are already familiar with the parts. Plus there are a ton of guys who will help you out and a ton of YouTube videos on it. There is even an upper control arm video that Total Chaos has posted up on here!

mcharfauros

= VI • Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
Military
Army
T3G Member
Got a set of kings shocks seating in my garage and a set of TC UCAs on the way...should I pull the trigger on installing these on a shop (post quotes) or DIY? I've done coilovers install on my own project cars along the years never done a new truck before with warranty which concerns me a little. Let me know what you guys think...
Having gone both routes, I say go ahead and take on that project yourself and make a day of it with some buddies.

Sour_Taco

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Arron
Military
Marine Corps
T3G Member
The necessary tools and difficulty isn't bad. I've done suspension work on VW/Audis, Hondas, and Mitsubishi's. The Tacoma appears to be WAAAAY easier.

Here's a link to a post I made in my build thread. The process should be very similar for most common Tacoma suspension work. Tools should be similar, too.

Link to suspension videos

Last edited:

TOTAL CHAOS

chaosfab.com
Authorized Vendor
T3G Member
You can definitely do it yourself with the right tools and a little patience. As mh.meier mentioned, we do have some videos on here. Here is one showing the UCA and Coilover install on the 05+ Tacoma. It's going to be almost exactly the same for 16-18 as 05-15.

TOTAL CHAOS
WWW.CHAOSFAB.COM

Ron

= V • Platinum
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Ron
Military
Coast Guard (Vet.)
T3G Member
I'm doing mine tomorrow night at 8. Me and my cousin. He has a large industrial garage, portable lifts, air tools and time. Based on the videos, we're thinking under those conditions it should take 3-4 hours doing the 5100s all around with the OME 884, and a 1-1/2" AAL in the rear.

"THINKING" LMAO

Malcolm

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
Military
Navy
T3G Member
I'm doing mine tomorrow night at 8. Me and my cousin. He has a large industrial garage, portable lifts, air tools and time. Based on the videos, we're thinking under those conditions it should take 3-4 hours doing the 5100s all around with the OME 884, and a 1-1/2" AAL in the rear.

"THINKING" LMAO
Honestly what you’re thinking might be pretty spot on. Fronts aren’t bad if you know what you’re doing and the rear is even easier on account you don’t have to slip the shock out.

UCA’s should take MAYBE 15-20mins per side of you have the proper prep/setup.

Top Bottom