• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Safariland QLS to RAM 1" Ball

hawsa

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Cement
Alright everyone; I just got the Desert Does It seat jackers with accesory mount... My plan was to attach my Safariland 6390RDS hoster to it via their QLS fork system, that way I could both swap for other hosters running the qls, as well as pull it off and run it on my range belt without hassle when I go out, and just have it in a convenient location in the truck when I'm driving around.

Here is the dilemma... my dumb arse didn't think about the overhang of the seat when it is slid into driving position, so while I'm definitely keeping the system for comfort while driving, my handgun mounting idea is out the window as it sits.

My solution... although it is a pretty popular system, there seems to be no adapter plate on the market that would let you combine a RAM ball mount with a QLS fork. If there were, I could still use the DDI plate as planned with a diamond ram base, a short arm to push it up and forward away from ground and seat, and then the female qls receiver with the ball adapter. I'm thinking about whipping something up in cad and getting one cnc'd out of aluminum or potentially I'll just 3D print it myself which would likely be strong enough if I used the right material. Would any of y'all be interested if I were to expand the production run? If so, do you have a preference on material?

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 4.21.40 PM.jpg+Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 4.23.08 PM.jpg=Very Yes

Alright here are some updates... I think you might get the idea...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.04.39 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.04.39 PM.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 111
My bad...where would you mount the ball? I like this concept...just curious as to where you'd mount it. Because depending on how...when you unholster it...it may move the holster to an angle making it a challenge to unholster...

Another option you have is making an extension from the bracket underneath your seat that sticks out a couple inches...causing your holster to be able to mount straight. Or having the extension angled...

Last edited:
My bad...where would you mount the ball? I like this concept...just curious as to where you'd mount it. Because depending on how...when you unholster it...it may move the holster to an angle making it a challenge to unholster...

Another option you have is making an extension from the bracket underneath your seat that sticks out a couple inches...causing your holster to be able to mount straight. Or having the extension angled...

Yeah not super clear... I drew this up. The main problems with mounting as is are that the floor is not far enough away (holster must move up) and that the seat is directly above the mounting point (holster must move forward). Because there is very minimal friction with the SL holsters on draw because off the als locking system, I would be more worried about it shifting out of place when going over a large bump. Assuming the thing stays put, I think it would be a somewhat elegant solution as it gives some leeway for personal preference with seat adjustment and cant.

In the diagram, green is SL holster and also fork (male on holster, female to my proposed red adapter plate). All other color changes just to show different parts.
1DF8CFA7-DB17-4A19-9242-30A619D30673.jpeg

This is not quite to scale... Top of holster would be just below the seat and bottom would be just above the floor.

This is definitely doable. And each "yellow" depending on what you use can be loosened/tightened to adjust the angle or height. So I cannot for the life of me think of what they would even be called but I found a GoPro type mount that may explain or be a good visual. Same concept...but the bottom mounting to the seat bracket. The arms being adjustable (and lockable to maintain rigidity and keeping the holster in place without moving during the draw). And then where the actual GoPro would mount on that picture...mount the female plate. Granted I'm not saying use this...but as an example or like a template. Obviously would want to go more heavy duty due to the weight. Not sure if this makes sense.
Screenshot_20200522-070142_Samsung Internet.jpg

Now...that being said...I think my concern is when getting in and out...hitting the mount with or without a gun holstered. A majority of the time I'm in my take home police car so I'm not usually using this set up...but having the option to use one of my many rigs for different guns would certainly be nice.

For me...I'm wanting to figure out a way to fabricate or make something to be able to accept a holster right by my right thigh...like between the seat and where the E-brake is. When not on duty, I'm usually carrying my G43X and don't have a good, secure place to put it that has ease of access. The center console molle panels companies make would be nice, but I want it more by my thigh/hip than I do my knee.

Now...that being said...I think my concern is when getting in and out...hitting the mount with or without a gun holstered. A majority of the time I'm in my take home police car so I'm not usually using this set up...but having the option to use one of my many rigs for different guns would certainly be nice.

I hear you on that. I'm definitely not proposing this as a duty rig, or anywhere near it. For me it's for longer rides when I take it out of appendix concealment and need somewhere reasonably easy to get to in the car while being out of mind for passengers. (Im fairly young and still in the dating pool. Not sure a pistol out on display is the best welcome on a first date. Don't get me wrong, if she's not cool with it eventually, that's a red flag haha)

Not sure how familiar you are with the ram mounting system. The adjustment and locking would be accomplished by one of these (red lines in that diagram): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UGZTQO/?tag=tacoma3g-20
And two of these. (yellow balls in diagram - one mounted to base of seat or really anywhere. Maybe near ebrake would work fine for your case. And the other to the qls receiver via adapter): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KO5XVU/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Together they form an impressively adjustable, yet solid mounting arm. I think I'll run a prototype that's 3D printed for proof of concept and see if any of our concerns about movement or easy of draw get in the way.
6A6C2CA7-EA01-4F86-9BEF-7AED76EC2737.jpeg

And yes, it's very similar to the GoPro system you posted, but due to its length of only about 4 inches, is much less affected by heavier loads. I believe their 1" ball system is rated to 6lbs of "rugged" use. Defined mostly for marine and off-road use and tested extensively. But I think we're on the same page. I wonder what kind of solid mount points are below the plastic off the center column. There may be a way (with some drilling) to mount to something more solid than plastic there...

Haha understandable. I think as far as ease of access and speed of access due to my profession and what I've dealt with. But I get it!

Oh okay...yes that pic makes sense...never dealt with a ram ball. I wouldnt use the gopro mount I posted but was using it as a reference because I cannot think of what it would even be called. I don't have a 3D printer and I only have little knowledge of product quality based on things I've purchased...just not sure how well the ABS would hold up with the constant connecting and disconnecting the male and female adapters. But what you've sent looks like it would be a great start.

Question...so you mention appendix carry...would you be utilizing the same appendix carry holster for this? Or have a separate holster already connected and just unholster the gun from your appendix carry and holster it in the safariland holster?

Haha understandable. I think as far as ease of access and speed of access due to my profession and what I've dealt with. But I get it!

Oh okay...yes that pic makes sense...never dealt with a ram ball. I wouldnt use the gopro mount I posted but was using it as a reference because I cannot think of what it would even be called. I don't have a 3D printer and I only have little knowledge of product quality based on things I've purchased...just not sure how well the ABS would hold up with the constant connecting and disconnecting the male and female adapters. But what you've sent looks like it would be a great start.

Question...so you mention appendix carry...would you be utilizing the same appendix carry holster for this? Or have a separate holster already connected and just unholster the gun from your appendix carry and holster it in the safariland holster?

I totally understand where you're coming from! Some sort of articulating arm mount. I'll keep you updated as I progress. I suspect in the end I would do a nylon-reinforced plastic or just CNC aluminum as a final product. I'm trying to stay low profile with as many off the shelf parts as possible to reduce overall cost.

And for your question... imagine trying to appendix a 6390! haha that would be horrible! No - I would usually leave the empty SL holster in the car and carry the pistol in a separate IWB holster, then after entering the vehicle, assuming I'd be in there for more than 30 minutes, I would re-holster in the SL. The only time I plan to disconnect the SL from the vehicle is when I have range days. Or to march on capitol hill...

Usually I carry a Glock 19. Just swapped the SRO for an rmr. Occasionally will carry an m&p shield 2.0 when I'm looking for lightweight. Here's a picture of it.
F3AA9F60-CA9B-4B89-A005-6135118760D2.jpeg

Usually I carry a Glock 19. Just swapped the SRO for an rmr. Occasionally will carry an m&p shield 2.0 when I'm looking for lightweight. Here's a picture of it.
F3AA9F60-CA9B-4B89-A005-6135118760D2.jpeg
Nice. My off duty is a g43x. I've been debating about trying to get an RDS and milled slide for it but currently my department has not authorized red dots yet. Hopefully soon. I have a g17 gen 5 MOS with holosun and a sig p320X full size with their red dot. Just not about carrying a full size off duty when I wear gym clothes a lot. Lol.

What brand of IWB do you use?

This is a really cool solution, definitely going to keep an eye on this thread.

I'm sure the RAM system can support a handgun but I'm not sure what size ball would work best. The Army uses one of the bigger sets to hold up a ruggedized tablet that is much heavier than a handgun.

I'm sure the RAM system can support a handgun but I'm not sure what size ball would work best. The Army uses one of the bigger sets to hold up a ruggedized tablet that is much heavier than a handgun.
I'm not sure about the military aspect but I would think it would still work. When I was in my truck earlier though...i noticed that my seat mounts/ brackets or whatever is side and side and not front and back like shown in the sketch above. Are some tacoma seats mounted different?

Why not just run a spacer between the seat jacker and the MMP?

Nice. My off duty is a g43x. I've been debating about trying to get an RDS and milled slide for it but currently my department has not authorized red dots yet. Hopefully soon. I have a g17 gen 5 MOS with holosun and a sig p320X full size with their red dot. Just not about carrying a full size off duty when I wear gym clothes a lot. Lol.

What brand of IWB do you use?
I'd like to get a 43x with those 15rd magazines! Game changer for size to capacity ratio.

I most frequently run a txc holster... X1 pro I believe. If I want to carry a spare mag I'll use a tier 1 concealed. Can't remember the model but it does alright.

Yeah it's possible that I'd need the larger ball - I'm fairly confident in the 1", but I know the military uses like a 3" ball for military spec laptops no problem. I have some bits on the way and should be able to test with a 1" shortly.

I'm not sure about the military aspect but I would think it would still work. When I was in my truck earlier though...i noticed that my seat mounts/ brackets or whatever is side and side and not front and back like shown in the sketch above. Are some tacoma seats mounted different?
I think the seats are mounted the same, but I am using a seatjacker with MMP for extra mounting options there. Normally you only have the two bolts, this gives a flat panel that works with nylock, ram diamonds, molle accessories etc..

Why not just run a spacer between the seat jacker and the MMP?

I was thinking about that, but I only really need the change for the handgun.. everything else I plan to mount there I'd prefer to be more tucked away. The spacer would require a 1.5" ish push forward and about 3.5" up leaving a pretty gaudy spacer/riser on each side. If this works out it would be much cheaper, maintain adjustability, and be lower profile overall. If I'd doesn't work though, that idea would be much more rigid and would be a fine fall back.

Update.

Got the ram balls in andddd got hasty. Instead of waiting for my printer filament to show up in the mail, I just made a metal adapter plate. Didn't give me too much fuss.

It mostly works. I have a 3" arm coming instead of a 2", but the problem is all the weight on one side is creating somewhat of a fulcrum and it's able to exert more force than just the weight of the gun.

So the result is that for normal driving it holds fine, but on larger bumps it angles down to the floor until the holster touches. Still within reach and away from legs, but not quite what I was hoping. I think I'll order a 1.5" ball instead of the 1" as the rated capacity is doubled. 6EC5A633-F7C4-48F9-AB08-7283D3D71936.jpeg12400DEE-87EF-4DD2-AD59-747BD0976020.jpeg5ACA1E1B-94FC-4015-A360-806F95303872.jpeg

Last edited:
Update... The ball idea was good but on bumpy roads just moves too much and I don't really need to move it anyway. Made a hard mount version with good ol mild steel. Solid as.

Back