• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Running 35's: Is it painful, and if it is, was it worth it?

DFA31DDF-BF3E-4F99-BE15-BAA6315110E8.jpeg
6 inch 37s ?

Did they use the BDS lift for this one? We were gonna armor it but couldnt do it for free haha.

I've got 285/75's and to be honest, I kinda wish I went with 35's. Obviously though, there's a big difference it what it takes to run the 35's. You've gotta consider all the cutting, CMC, big drop in gas mileage, regear, driveshaft angle, etc. With my 285's, I didn't really have to do much besides replace my UCA's and now I only rub at full flex. I want to commit to the 35's, I just don't know...

Also, is it just me, or do you wish there were a 35 that is thinner than 12.5". I feel like 10-11" would look sweet.

It isnt as much work as you think and if you every want to go over the details of it on a 3" vs 6" we have done both including bushwackers as well. I would be happy to go over what we did!

It isnt as much work as you think and if you every want to go over the details of it on a 3" vs 6" we have done both including bushwackers as well. I would be happy to go over what we did!
I’ll keeo this in mind for whenever funds allow me to do this.

As some of you may already know, I went with 315s. Not 35s but close enough. My tires measure to 34.4 inches. I’m still having some rubbing issues on the cab mount even after the cmc and adjust the casters to as much positive as possible. My kings are set to about 2.75” height. My wheels are 0 offset. Anything I could do or change that’ll help eliminate this?

A0D29667-ABEB-4409-BCC8-6D467A7BAD8C.jpeg

As some of you may already know, I went with 315s. Not 35s but close enough. My tires measure to 34.4 inches. I’m still having some rubbing issues on the cab mount even after the cmc and adjust the casters to as much positive as possible. My kings are set to about 2.75” height. My wheels are 0 offset. Anything I could do or change that’ll help eliminate this?

Maybe a 1/2” spacer above the strut?

Spacing on top is better then preloading the spring but it still limits your travel. I would think it would limit up travel by forcing droop. I am no expert. In the end if it works for you and your happy it is what it is

I thought that spacers were “bad” for the truck though?
This isn’t the spacer that is “bad” for the truck. We all have them anyway to fix the Taco lean our trucks get. If you don’t have one at all yet, that’s actually a good thing cause it means your strut studs will be long enough to add these on.

What you’re thinking of is a spacer lift, which is using very large spacers to actually lift the truck without needing to change coils or shocks. That is done mostly for looks and is essentially useless.

This isn’t the spacer that is “bad” for the truck. We all have them anyway to fix the Taco lean our trucks get. If you don’t have one at all yet, that’s actually a good thing cause it means your strut studs will be long enough to add these on.

What you’re thinking of is a spacer lift, which is using very large spacers to actually lift the truck without needing to change coils or shocks. That is done mostly for looks and is essentially useless.

^^^THIS. The small "trim packer" helps with the Taco lean. If you have adjustable coil-overs you can also just pre-load the shock a little more on the driver's side.

I want to run 35’s but after reading a lot of these comments and cost to run 35’s I think I’m ok with 33’s.
It’s a pain in the motherfucking ass that’s for sure lol excuse the language. It’s a lot of trial and error for sure, and with is also a lot of wasted money. Once I get everything sorted out I hope I can guide the hopefuls in the right direction so they don’t spend so much money like I have

It’s a pain in the motherfucking ass that’s for sure lol excuse the language. It’s a lot of trial and error for sure, and with is also a lot of wasted money. Once I get everything sorted out I hope I can guide the hopefuls in the right direction so they don’t spend so much money like I have

I dont think Ill go 35’s but seriously considering 34’s. Specifically 285/75/17’s. All I would need is a CMC and those are only 150$ around SoCal

Last edited:
I dont think Ill go 35’s but seriously considering 34’s. Specifically 285/75/17’s. All I would need is a CMC amd those are only 150$ around SoCal
If you are going 17” you have the 34x10.5 option. Not sure if those are actually a little bigger or not.

If you are going 17” you have the 34x10.5 option. Not sure if those are actually a little bigger or not.
about half an inch as the 34x10.5 (also comes in the 255/85R16) is 34.5ish depending on the tire where the 285/75R17 is about 33.8ish

Well my KO2s are really 34.4 inches tall. They’re not true 35s but I still call them that. Plus the tire is huge and weighs a massive 63 lbs w/o the wheel.

So what springs did you go with in back to get 2.75, and did you have to get the lengthened piston rods on the rear shocks to support?

So what springs did you go with in back to get 2.75, and did you have to get the lengthened piston rods on the rear shocks to support?
Ouch! What's your gas mileage down to?

To get the added height in the rear I went with the OME medium duty leaf pack with extended rear shocks. Still waiting for rear kings to arrive so for now it’s just bilstein 5100s in there.

And my mpg before the regear was 13mpg average. Now it’s at 16-17 mpg.

To get the added height in the rear I went with the OME medium duty leaf pack with extended rear shocks. Still waiting for rear kings to arrive so for now it’s just bilstein 5100s in there.

16-17 isn't bad. That's what I'm at (mix city/hwy) running stock gears and 285/70R17.

Did you order the King 25001-121 or the ones with the pistons that are 1.5" longer that the -121? I'll be interested to see what the travel is on your kings once installed. I have the 25001-121 extended travel, but not the 1.5" longer pistons. So I'm looking to add a new spring set to get to your height.

Did you order the King 25001-121 or the ones with the pistons that are 1.5" longer that the -121? I'll be interested to see what the travel is on your kings once installed. I have the 25001-121 extended travel, but not the 1.5" longer pistons. So I'm looking to add a new spring set to get to your height.

We recommend the longer piston version of the King Rear shock with the Dakars, especially if you run the HD pack but dont normally have weight in the rear as you get a lot of rear ride height. Most people dont realize this but their shocks are typically their limiting strap haha, so the less it is limited the better.

Back