• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rompin’ Taco - OR 4x4 Long Boi 🌮

Finally saw enough pro grilles, I had to commit to a facelift. Looks so much better! Tried to create a different pattern with the leds from what I've been seeing out there. What you think?

Finally saw enough pro grilles, I had to commit to a facelift. Looks so much better! Tried to create a different pattern with the leds from what I've been seeing out there. What you think?

That LED pattern actually looks really different! Nice job.

no chrome, ? tailgate letters another 100% such a simple thing that just make it nicer to look at

Your set up is pretty much identical to mine. 6112, Total Chaos UCA, 5100 with an add a leaf in the rear. I'm currently running 275/70/17 BFG. I want to bump up to 285/70/17. Did you do the cab mount chop or any other cutting? Mine doesn't rub at all right now, but I'm thinking I will need the CMC with the 285's. Any input is appreciated. Nice truck BTW.

I think my female (first dog) may be related to yours haha, they look identical.

Attachments

• _DSC0839.jpg
    _DSC0839.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 105
Your set up is pretty much identical to mine. 6112, Total Chaos UCA, 5100 with an add a leaf in the rear. I'm currently running 275/70/17 BFG. I want to bump up to 285/70/17. Did you do the cab mount chop or any other cutting? Mine doesn't rub at all right now, but I'm thinking I will need the CMC with the 285's. Any input is appreciated. Nice truck BTW.

Thanks man, You got a nice truck too. I believe you will need to get a CMC to prevent rubbing when you go up to the 285/70/17, Also, not sure where your 6112 is set at, but you may have to adjust the coil to raise the front a bit more. My front coils are set to level so I believe I have at least another inch I could raise it. Also, no rubbing here either unless I'm turning in reverse, then I get a light rub on the corner mount.

How do you like the AAL in the rear? I've been thinking about getting one.

Thanks man, You got a nice truck too. I believe you will need to get a CMC to prevent rubbing when you go up to the 285/70/17, Also, not sure where your 6112 is set at, but you may have to adjust the coil to raise the front a bit more. My front coils are set to level so I believe I have at least another inch I could raise it. Also, no rubbing here either unless I'm turning in reverse, then I get a light rub on the corner mount.

How do you like the AAL in the rear? I've been thinking about getting one.
I wouldn’t do the AAL again. I should have ponied up and just got a Deaver or OME leaf packs. The AAL sags hard when loaded with gear and it creaks like crazy. I will be going with after market leafs soon.

I wouldn’t do the AAL again. I should have ponied up and just got a Deaver or OME leaf packs. The AAL sags hard when loaded with gear and it creaks like crazy. I will be going with after market leafs soon.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking a leaf pack is the next upgrade. I could use the height to avoid rocks with the long bed. In the future I’ll add a hard shell.

OME leaf pack = double the creaks though lol, idk which ones are silent but my ome’s Are far from it. I don’t really mind though it’s whatever

Wen't out on a trail run last weekend (Cloudland Truck Trail) with some new friends I meet at local truck meets. Got some rad shots of the truck thanks to @Choyota and @filmtaco on IG. Both these dudes have some bad ass rigs and amazing camera skills. Thanks to @tacoma_krew for setting up all the meets and creating a cool community in SoCal. Check them out if you haven't already.

If you repost these photos, please give these dudes credit for their photo work!

Shots form Choyota:

From Filmtaco:

Last edited:
Been a little while, but I got some new updates. Hmm.. where to begin. I'll try and go in order by date of install.

I placed an order with Rago Fabrication for a hidden bumper light bar bracket, A KC C-Series 30" Light Bar, additional Switch Panel, Relay Holder, and OEM Style Switches. I'm super stoked on the light bar and how the install came out. I can't wait to do some night runs now!

F5665BF8-5203-4674-9E9A-BD40AE6611F9.jpeg

D0A12C76-A0CA-4ABD-A74A-11B704E24B31.jpeg

9210636A-3C0E-4007-B1EB-AAD3E9596861.jpeg

I got the switches wired up so the light up when the marker lights are on which is helpful to find them at night when you need them. The upper icons on the switches light up when the lights are switched on. So, fully functional. They are a bit brighter that OEM lights, but not a big deal. No I just need to figure out what to use the additional switch location for... Maybe a winch, maybe a chase light. We will see.

Photo Oct 05, 8 36 07 AM.jpg

Photo Oct 05, 8 36 33 AM.jpg

While I was at it I also ordered the Rago Mole Panel for the center console. This think is awesome and ads some additional organization to the center console which is great while off roading or on long road trips. I opted to not add on the bridge which I felt I didn't really need. Glad that was optional.

Photo Oct 04, 12 07 29 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up the @Mountainhatch flat tailgate/cutting board replacement for the taco. So far, so good. I'm digging the flat surface for sitting, cooking, additional table space for tailgating and what not. I did notice up in the Big Bear Mountain Resort parking lot where the ground surface is at a slope, your beverages will slide if your vehicle is not level. I ended up using a small rubber mat to prevent that. Otherwise this is a great investment that will get tons of use. Here's some photos of my Mountain Hatch:

Photo Feb 08, 1 06 00 PM.jpg
Photo Feb 08, 1 06 28 PM.jpg
Photo Feb 08, 1 05 53 PM.jpg

This last one of my local SB mountains with snow on them in the background.
Photo Feb 08, 1 04 48 PM.jpg

I love that cutting board tailgate piece, I’ll be adding one of those for Cleaning fish.

I recently installed these crutial upgraded radio control knobs from Tacomods. The knobs are a direct replacement and took 2 seconds to install. They give way better grip control. To the feel they are a major improvement. It’s the little things!

18E555B9-8FA6-4484-A870-F51AD203F876.jpeg

FF9ACEC6-41CB-4A1E-8453-ED8F3578DD41.jpeg

6CD5C5F0-2DB1-4B1C-BD41-C33D45B8AC0B.jpeg

I recently scored a camper shell for the taco. Super stoked on this as our family is growing so the need for more covered space to throw the dog in the back was mandatory. Plus for snowboarding and camping it’s going to bring some awesome convenience to our lives. I got this bad boy used for a pretty good deal. I wired up the third brake light which was a bit of a pain because I had to locate the right wiring harness from a truck cap store. Once I got the harness the wiring was pretty simple. I’m going to post a how to and will link to it here for others.

It’s a snug top rebel with carpet liner, folding/sliding front window, sliding sides, usb charging ports, dome light, and single locking hatch. It’s not color matched, it’s magnetic grey, but I kind of like the look

58FD328D-939E-48BE-8978-E87CB9FF4133.jpeg

989EE4CA-1057-44D9-ABDD-AFBC337C33DB.jpeg

BEBB088F-F086-49BF-8B6C-8E230ED97628.jpeg

The new cap looks good dude! It'll definitely help the functionality and quality of life for your family camping.

I recently did an oil change at the dealership and remembered to make it a point to bring up shifting issues to get the mechanics to flash the software with the TSB tc1601 t1=26 t2=99 update that addresses transmission shifting issues for 16 models (Mines a 17, but have noticed some sluggish shifting, so wanted to have them flash it). They were able to run the update and it made a noticeable difference in many areas of driving. From taking off to coming to a stop and merging onto the freeway. Even giving it a little more gas to change lanes and climbing hills in mountainous areas all are improved and feel so much better. This update is highly recommended for any model that does not already have it as you will feel a noticeable positive difference in shifting.

I recently did an oil change at the dealership and remembered to make it a point to bring up shifting issues to get the mechanics to flash the software with the TSB tc1601 t1=26 t2=99 update that addresses transmission shifting issues for 16 models (Mines a 17, but have noticed some sluggish shifting, so wanted to have them flash it). They were able to run the update and it made a noticeable difference in many areas of driving. From taking off to coming to a stop and merging onto the freeway. Even giving it a little more gas to change lanes and climbing hills in mountainous areas all are improved and feel so much better. This update is highly recommended for any model that does not already have it as you will feel a noticeable positive difference in shifting.
That's awesome, I'm glad you got some strong feedback from that update. I know it sucks when the truck sucks, so I can imagine how satisfying it must be to have that fixed.

Been a little while, but here are some updates.

I finally went for some new leaf springs. I ordered up the Dobinsons (L59-111-r) Which are supposed to proved a two inch lift with a constant load of 600lbs. I’ve been rolling around for a couple weeks now and I’ve been loving the new leafs. The ride is amazing. It’s a bit stiffer, but it really makes a big difference off road. since I was leaning way back with the camper shell on there this made a lot of sense. I should bottom out a lot less now.

To further complement my new leafs, I order up some durobump bump stops for the front and rear and those were installed at the same time.

That pretty much rounds out my suspension for a good long time. I think I’ll be lifting the front to the max height of the 6112 coil. That should level it out since I’m sitting high in the rear now. I do kind of like it as I can see better over the hood now though. Lol.

3E906500-4C46-4947-B48C-5FAC53F8A33F.jpeg

ECD9FA9D-DAC0-43AD-AABE-DC9D3ACB40EE.jpeg

1456E338-ADBE-45C7-8743-B9B936E41B37.jpeg
C30EF7FB-81E4-44C8-BF51-9059D4B84A1D.jpeg
7517D317-A494-4F8A-8C34-93D897964B2F.jpeg
20454126-BAB1-4A73-80DE-9E74E5FD6074.jpeg
07922720-9598-4FD4-90FB-CC0D67C163D7.jpeg
AC668D86-6220-4F41-98AD-76D8AD6A2B9E.jpeg

Back