• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Replace Stock Snorkel

Ibryant20

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.ianbryantphotography.com
2019 Pro DCSB Manual
Midnight Black
So im frustrated with my stock snorkel on my 2019 TRD Pro. I have a prinsu rack and I had to modify the mont for the snorkel to work. I can't turn the head around though if I need to. I also suspect it is restricting the airflow, I've seen pictures of the inside of the stock unit and it looked pretty small.
So my question for the group, has anyone done or seen a stock snorkel replaced with an aftermarket one? I asked ARB about their safari snorkel and they said it doesn't fit over the stock holes.

thanks in advance.

So im frustrated with my stock snorkel on my 2019 TRD Pro. I have a prinsu rack and I had to modify the mont for the snorkel to work. I can't turn the head around though if I need to. I also suspect it is restricting the airflow, I've seen pictures of the inside of the stock unit and it looked pretty small.
So my question for the group, has anyone done or seen a stock snorkel replaced with an aftermarket one? I asked ARB about their safari snorkel and they said it doesn't fit over the stock holes.

thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, I don’t think you can simply replace it like that. You would need to either patch the factory hole in the fender or replace the fender with a new one, then drill a properly aligned hole for the aftermarket snorkel.

Alternatively, Prinsu makes a special rack for trucks with the Pro snorkel. Maybe you can sell the one you have and replace it with this rack? https://prinsudesignstudio.com/prod...abrack-with-toyota-desert-air-intake-fitment/

Upvote 0
I've been going through this same problem. I have a 2019 with the snorkel and have the prinsu rack installed with the special cut that is supposed to allow for the fit for the snorkel head. Prinsu did a horrible job designing this, and it doesn't let you rotate the head to the rear. I've done a bunch of research and there is no roof rack on the market made by Toyota or any other company that is compatible with the stock snorkel. It's been a headache. Personally I have started the process of trying to "lemon" it, and get Toyota to pay for a fender swap. It's a long shot, but they made a horrible design error. You should definitely at least file a complaint with Toyota cooperate.

In the mean time I'm making a second head that goes in backwards.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
MESO has the dopest dorkles of all the dorkles

Upvote 0
I've been going through this same problem. I have a 2019 with the snorkel and have the prinsu rack installed with the special cut that is supposed to allow for the fit for the snorkel head. Prinsu did a horrible job designing this, and it doesn't let you rotate the head to the rear. I've done a bunch of research and there is no roof rack on the market made by Toyota or any other company that is compatible with the stock snorkel. It's been a headache. Personally I have started the process of trying to "lemon" it, and get Toyota to pay for a fender swap. It's a long shot, but they made a horrible design error. You should definitely at least file a complaint with Toyota cooperate.

In the mean time I'm making a second head that goes in backwards.
I got my Prinsu rack before they made the mew front for the stock snorkel and had to McGiver the mount of the snorkel to mount to the Prinsu rack itself instead of the roof. It works but I can’t turn it around either.

here is what I was (at one point) looking to do. Find someone that is really good at 3D modeling and has a large 3D printer and have them design a replacement head to the snorkel that mounts just below the roofline. So I would cut the top of the snorkel pff and mount this new intake head lower to allow for it to turn around, or have one made that is more like the this.

so does anyone know a good 3D designer?

Attachments

• EFC71924-05A6-44BB-BC48-72157ADCAE88.jpeg
    EFC71924-05A6-44BB-BC48-72157ADCAE88.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0
MESO has the dopest dorkles of all the dorkles
That is pretty slick looking but if I get a snorkel I want to be obnoxiously obvious about it. That one is a little too subtle.

EDIT: Wait, I meant to link to your other post with the carbon fiber snorkels. MESO doesn't appear to have snorkels?

Upvote 0
That is pretty slick looking but if I get a snorkel I want to be obnoxiously obvious about it. That one is a little too subtle.

EDIT: Wait, I meant to link to your other post with the carbon fiber snorkels. MESO doesn't appear to have snorkels?
I was referring to the snorkels on MESO’s personal truck

Upvote 0
I was thinking about that too. My only worry is the TRD snorkel tube is really narrow compared to the ARB or Dobinson. So I would be worried about restricting airflow when getting that pre-filter on. Which is something you would definitely have to affix because you would end up chopping off the TRD water bypass holes.

Upvote 0
I figured someone would've made a better looking snorkel that replaces the OEM one by now. I too have the oem snorkel, went with the prinsu rack that fits it. Not the best but it works. I'll probably end up doing the work in the long run to replace or delete.

This is a small thread so I guess it may be only the four of us that care.

Upvote 0
I figured someone would've made a better looking snorkel that replaces the OEM one by now. I too have the oem snorkel, went with the prinsu rack that fits it. Not the best but it works. I'll probably end up doing the work in the long run to replace or delete.

This is a small thread so I guess it may be only the four of us that care.

I can't believe that none of the snorkel providers don't have an option that fits over the opening of the stock snorkel. so we would just have to cut a bigger hole.

Upvote 0
I can't believe that none of the snorkel providers don't have an option that fits over the opening of the stock snorkel. so we would just have to cut a bigger hole.
Are you talking about the fender hole or the top of the snorkel. If we could find someone make a different snorkel that fits over existing fender hole that would be cool.

Upvote 0
Has anyone removed the stock snorkel? Couldn't you simply just drill more holes in the fender and mount the ARB snorkel? Or cut some metal and sandwich it to the back of the fender when you put the new snorkel on? Cheaper then buying a new fender and the arb snorkel will cover up the old holes in the fender also?

Upvote 0
So this was very easy as I thought it would be
The snorkel covers all the holes perfectly

So if you wanna change out the useless trdpro "desert air intake" do it!! cause its 0% watertight

Attachments

• 20221223_134539.jpg
    20221223_134539.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 118
  • 20221223_135818.jpg
    20221223_135818.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 20221223_141035.jpg
    20221223_141035.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20221223_141342.jpg
    20221223_141342.jpg