Replace Stock Snorkel

• Hello, visitor! Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a resource for 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma owners.

Tacoma3G is a friendly community dedicated to 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and Overland Enthusiasts. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Ibryant20

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#3,766
So im frustrated with my stock snorkel on my 2019 TRD Pro. I have a prinsu rack and I had to modify the mont for the snorkel to work. I can't turn the head around though if I need to. I also suspect it is restricting the airflow, I've seen pictures of the inside of the stock unit and it looked pretty small.
So my question for the group, has anyone done or seen a stock snorkel replaced with an aftermarket one? I asked ARB about their safari snorkel and they said it doesn't fit over the stock holes.

thanks in advance.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
So im frustrated with my stock snorkel on my 2019 TRD Pro. I have a prinsu rack and I had to modify the mont for the snorkel to work. I can't turn the head around though if I need to. I also suspect it is restricting the airflow, I've seen pictures of the inside of the stock unit and it looked pretty small.
So my question for the group, has anyone done or seen a stock snorkel replaced with an aftermarket one? I asked ARB about their safari snorkel and they said it doesn't fit over the stock holes.

thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, I don’t think you can simply replace it like that. You would need to either patch the factory hole in the fender or replace the fender with a new one, then drill a properly aligned hole for the aftermarket snorkel.

Alternatively, Prinsu makes a special rack for trucks with the Pro snorkel. Maybe you can sell the one you have and replace it with this rack? https://prinsudesignstudio.com/prod...abrack-with-toyota-desert-air-intake-fitment/

Ibryant20

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#3,766
They never told me they Came out with a model for those with the snorkel.
Thanks for the info!!

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
They never told me they Came out with a model for those with the snorkel.
Thanks for the info!!
No problem. You think you’re gonna get it?

Ibryant20

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#3,766

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member

turdy_taco

✓ • Lurker
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Sam
T3G Member
#8,256
I've been going through this same problem. I have a 2019 with the snorkel and have the prinsu rack installed with the special cut that is supposed to allow for the fit for the snorkel head. Prinsu did a horrible job designing this, and it doesn't let you rotate the head to the rear. I've done a bunch of research and there is no roof rack on the market made by Toyota or any other company that is compatible with the stock snorkel. It's been a headache. Personally I have started the process of trying to "lemon" it, and get Toyota to pay for a fender swap. It's a long shot, but they made a horrible design error. You should definitely at least file a complaint with Toyota cooperate.

In the mean time I'm making a second head that goes in backwards.

nickyreno

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,704

nickyreno

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,704
MESO has the dopest dorkles of all the dorkles

Ibryant20

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#3,766
I've been going through this same problem. I have a 2019 with the snorkel and have the prinsu rack installed with the special cut that is supposed to allow for the fit for the snorkel head. Prinsu did a horrible job designing this, and it doesn't let you rotate the head to the rear. I've done a bunch of research and there is no roof rack on the market made by Toyota or any other company that is compatible with the stock snorkel. It's been a headache. Personally I have started the process of trying to "lemon" it, and get Toyota to pay for a fender swap. It's a long shot, but they made a horrible design error. You should definitely at least file a complaint with Toyota cooperate.

In the mean time I'm making a second head that goes in backwards.
I got my Prinsu rack before they made the mew front for the stock snorkel and had to McGiver the mount of the snorkel to mount to the Prinsu rack itself instead of the roof. It works but I can’t turn it around either.

here is what I was (at one point) looking to do. Find someone that is really good at 3D modeling and has a large 3D printer and have them design a replacement head to the snorkel that mounts just below the roofline. So I would cut the top of the snorkel pff and mount this new intake head lower to allow for it to turn around, or have one made that is more like the this.

so does anyone know a good 3D designer?

Attachments

• EFC71924-05A6-44BB-BC48-72157ADCAE88.jpeg
    EFC71924-05A6-44BB-BC48-72157ADCAE88.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 7

RevN3

✓ • Aficionado
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#1,323
MESO has the dopest dorkles of all the dorkles
That is pretty slick looking but if I get a snorkel I want to be obnoxiously obvious about it. That one is a little too subtle.

EDIT: Wait, I meant to link to your other post with the carbon fiber snorkels. MESO doesn't appear to have snorkels?

nickyreno

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,704
That is pretty slick looking but if I get a snorkel I want to be obnoxiously obvious about it. That one is a little too subtle.

EDIT: Wait, I meant to link to your other post with the carbon fiber snorkels. MESO doesn't appear to have snorkels?
I was referring to the snorkels on MESO’s personal truck

turdy_taco

✓ • Lurker
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Sam
T3G Member
#8,256
I was thinking about that too. My only worry is the TRD snorkel tube is really narrow compared to the ARB or Dobinson. So I would be worried about restricting airflow when getting that pre-filter on. Which is something you would definitely have to affix because you would end up chopping off the TRD water bypass holes.

Top Bottom