• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Remote start with phone?

gene158

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Hey guys I’m new to the taco world. I just bought a 2018 dcsb trd sport. It had a remote start already installed on it but I don’t feel like carrying around the extra keyfob. Is there any way the remote start system can be setup to use my phone? I feel like that’s a thing right lol?

I know @Jmeitz knows a lot about remote starts as he actually makes and sells them. He should be able to help you out.

Hey guys I’m new to the taco world. I just bought a 2018 dcsb trd sport. It had a remote start already installed on it but I don’t feel like carrying around the extra keyfob. Is there any way the remote start system can be setup to use my phone? I feel like that’s a thing right lol?
It depends on what type of unit you have installed and if it accepts the cell modules.

Does your remote have a brand on it?

I don't believe it does but I think there's a model number or something on the back of it so I will have to do some research when I get home to figure out what brand it is.

So I googled the model number on the back of the remote start key fob and it's a compustar; at least the key fob is so I would imagine the unit itself is as well. I don't know exactly which compustar unit it is though. Even if I can't use my phone to start the truck, is there a way to program the toyota key fob to start the truck? I know that with some remote starters, you can program the stock key fob to start the vehicle by pressing the lock button 3 times or whatever.

If you have an external remote i doubt it.

I have a set-up for a remote start from 12volt solutions. It uses the factory FOB to start the truck, push lock 3 times, but the range is not the best. They have a cellular adapter that plugs into the starting module that will start the truck from anywhere, as long as there is a cell signal. It also allows to remotely lock/unlock the truck. I’m pleased with this system.

Yes, I sell them a lot cheaper than 12v

Yes the engine shuts off when any door is opened, the one thing about this kit that I’m not a fan of. But otherwise, I’ve been happy with it so far.

Back