• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Regrets

For quite a while I regretted buying the truck... The crappy computer response to throttle pedal input, the clunky rear end, the terrible clutch engagement with that delay from the accumulator valve, the way it just gets worse the more you try to drive it faster... It's like Toyota didn't do anything more than just bolt a manual transmission into it.. It doesn't seem like they tried to adjust anything about how it drives to suit a manual.. However, the longer I've owned it the more thankful I am that Toyota gave me a manual option in a new truck.. I've made some modifications to mitigate some issues and just accepted some others......... So if I were to buy another truck today, it would still be this one.
I have a 2020 OR MT that is having those same exact issues! Throttle doesn't seem to be connected to the gas pedal at all....jerky when shirting into 2nd gear....clunky rear end noise....the clutch engagement.....and the list goes on. Bought it brand new, taken it back numerous times only to be told I don't know how to drive a manual. Really? Only been driving one for 30+ years and no issues until this one. It's pretty sad that this seems like a normal thing with these trucks. What kind of mods did you do and which issues did you eliminate? Thinking of getting a tune, but still have research to do on which one would be best.

I order the full tech package, only to find out a few days later, missing the back up sensors. My first truck was on order, it came in and another saleman sold it, had to wait two more weeks.
The salesman also thought my second order Tacoma had the full tech package. I wanted a trade , but no one had the long bed TRD OR with the tech . And I would have to wait a few more weeks…

A few months later, I was backing up, a young boy ran behind my truck as I was backing into parking spot. I knock him down, No seriously injury. Just ran over his foot. No injuries.
Then I regret NOT having the back up sensor !

The full tech package also had a sunroof, never own a truck with a sunroof, wish I had one. I carry my fishing poles on the roof racks it would be a good way to keep an eye on them.

Blind spot monitor and back up sensors it feels in important, to me now. Wish I had them.
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
I regret being too picky and not buying the first truck the dealer had available.

I kept the info on it to remind me of what an idiot I am for turning this one down.

Still very happy with what I have, but this would've worked just fine.

1653071890374.png

1653071936122.png

The convenience of 4doors is the way to go. I have a 2-dr extra cab ford ranger, loading extra passenger in the rear is difficult. I feel for you with only 2-doors.
4-door trucks also offers more cargo space then a extra cab
Plus resale valve is worth the additional cost when owning a four door.
Regrets do teach us a lesson. Hopefully making us a better buyer next time?
Aloha

Other than no fear defroster (which no Tacoma has) I don’t have any regrets.

Kind of chances into my truck. I didn’t know much about them when I went looking other than I had an interest in them. The color, black headliner and price with discount/rebate sealed the deal. Found out a few weeks later what I REALLY bought and was super glad I did.

I wish I would have done more research on trims. With as much wheeling as I do, I probably should have gotten a OR. But with that being said, I could buy lockers. Also I think I've been in 4LO maybe twice, just to make sure it worked lol.

I also wish I had the OEM LED package. That's my major complaint. I drive 60+ miles a day, and 30 of those are in the dark. These drop in LEDs are OK, but the OEM LED light output can't be beat.

I found mine used at a Ford dealer in April of 2020, so I didn't have any choices. That said, I love everything. It's kinda loaded without leather. Seat heat, sun roof, BSM. I would have gotten manual it it was a choice, but the Automatic is fine too.

If I had a scoop or ever get a scoop, I’d want to make it functional. Does this engine need the extra air? No. But would it be cooler than keeping it nonfunctional? Probably.
I seem to recall someone putting a sport in a wind chamber and finding the air goes over the scoop and wouldn't go down it if it was open.

I seem to recall someone putting a sport in a wind chamber and finding the air goes over the scoop and wouldn't go down it if it was open.
Interesting.

1653451727227.jpeg

Looking at the picture, it does seem like the air would leave the grille bezel at an angle that it passes over the scoop.

I hear the new Toyotas may have front, rear , cameras, plus on the side mirrors cameras, giving a birds eye view.
So if you brought the year before? This could be a regrets…?

My only regret is not waiting for the 2017's. I bought a 2016 and it doesnt have the power rear window.

Huh, my '18 does. For some reason I thought that was standard for all years. Or is it part of one of the tech packages?

The 2019 rear power window, very convenient! My camper had a sliding window, able to put longer lumber, fishing poles, etc, inside. Once put inside of my Tacoma (10), 15 foot home base boards, , for my son’s home. I had to climb into the camper to open camper’s sliding glass window.

My son’s 2016 , the bed had two storage compartments, driver side a lot larger then the passenger side.
I was disappointed to find the 2019 bed with only one storage compartment.

Toyota is going cheap! Wish they bring this back? As for tailgates, Sure the cost to add insides steps like fords tailgates is more costly, but the benefits are great. Take apart the tailgate? They could make small compartments?

My son’s 2016 , the bed had two storage compartments, driver side a lot larger then the passenger side.
I was disappointed to find the 2019 bed with only one storage compartment.

Toyota is going cheap! Wish they bring this back? As for tailgates, Sure the cost to add insides steps like fords tailgates is more costly, but the benefits are great. Take apart the tailgate? They could make small compartments?
I do like those cubbies. I'm not sure why they removed the driver side one. Tailgate storage exists already, but I fear for the structural integrity after removing all those braces.

Those looking for the 2023, not much changes, same 4-cylinder, same V-6 and trans. They will add a black-out and chrome packages, plus new colors. Just a huge maybe the new turbo 4?

2024 Expect a new turbo 4 cylinder, coil spring in the rear, 4- wheel disc brakes (rear also have a disc brake) front end changes, they say more like a tundra looks.

Not a big regret but I wanted a sport to begin with and I still stand by the fact that I would have liked one more than the Off-Road. However when seeking out manual transmissions specifically, you are not afforded the right to be very picky. There's no real reason to it other than I just have no real use for off-road capability but I feel out of place putting on sport level tires on it. I am wanting to downsize back to stock size and run a street type of tread but I feel guilty doing that to an off-road. A Sport would have already come that way and I would have kept it that way. I also would prefer the vacuum brakes over the touchy electric brakes that the OR has. Having the locker in my rear axle is fine, though I don't have really any use for it. I would have preferred a Detroit TrueTrac by far, but those are not available for any 3rd gen 8.75" axle so a Sport would not have done me any better in that regard.

I would have liked a DCLB as well but again, manual transmission. And I for sure did not want the access cab.

Truetrac limited slips the gears are better then cutches, I think. I ran a Dana limited slip unit in my old Dodge. At that time cheaper then the truetrac. I regret that decision later. Note: front and rear of my Dodge 4x4 had LSDs.
What ever we brought , we just gotta learn to live with. Or sell?

Just to go home or up the hill to go shopping, errands. I am in 4x4 4H or 4L every single day.
2642B540-1BCE-485F-9EA9-3B3E0CE569E9.jpeg

Attachments

• 518B002B-8AE1-4849-A265-44702D047894.jpeg
    518B002B-8AE1-4849-A265-44702D047894.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 35
Well, since starting this thread, I got an opportunity for. a do-over. My wife totaled my 2018 TRD Off Road a couple weeks ago. Nobody was hurt but the truck is done. I searched a 300 mile radius and found few trucks on the lots and none exactly like I wanted. BUT...after stating that my only regret was not getting the long bed, I finally decided on another short bed. I rarely have to haul anything that is too long to fit in the short bed and after thinking about it, I decided on another short bed. I finally found a dealer, local nonetheless, that had one order but not in transit yet. I put a deposit on it and am awaiting arrival. It was built on the 21st and is on a train somewhere now so should be here in maybe 3 weeks or so.

I ended up buying another TRD Off Road with the 5' bed. I did up the option package this time though. I got the leather interior with moon roof, tech packages, etc. Stuck with the white. I've driven white cars and trucks for close to 30 years and it's just my preference. Already got the new tonneau cover and a couple of other things on the way. They should be here tomorrow so I'm ready.

Well, since starting this thread, I got an opportunity for. a do-over. My wife totaled my 2018 TRD Off Road a couple weeks ago. Nobody was hurt but the truck is done. I searched a 300 mile radius and found few trucks on the lots and none exactly like I wanted. BUT...after stating that my only regret was not getting the long bed, I finally decided on another short bed. I rarely have to haul anything that is too long to fit in the short bed and after thinking about it, I decided on another short bed. I finally found a dealer, local nonetheless, that had one order but not in transit yet. I put a deposit on it and am awaiting arrival. It was built on the 21st and is on a train somewhere now so should be here in maybe 3 weeks or so.

I ended up buying another TRD Off Road with the 5' bed. I did up the option package this time though. I got the leather interior with moon roof, tech packages, etc. Stuck with the white. I've driven white cars and trucks for close to 30 years and it's just my preference. Already got the new tonneau cover and a couple of other things on the way. They should be here tomorrow so I'm ready.
Excellent. Glad to hear everyone is ok

Back