• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Regrets

Freebird

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.venturerider.org
2022 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
What regrets, if any, do you have of your purchase of the Tacoma? I have only one. I wish that I had gone with the longer bed on my '18 off road. In hindsight, I would also have possibly been a little happier with the Sport instead of the Off Road but I'm ok with what I have in that regard. I just never used the Off Road functions and like the hood on the Sport but like I said, I'm fine with what I have. I absolutely wish that I had got with the longer bed though. Not likely to trade any time soon and maybe never though.

My only regret is that it isn't a 4x4. When I was shopping for a truck I had my eye on a 2016 Colorado Z71. I was this close to buying it, then the salesman said was also have a 2016 Tacoma and I forgot all about the Colorado.

I should have got the sunroof.

regret not going for a trd or

What regrets, if any, do you have of your purchase of the Tacoma? I have only one. I wish that I had gone with the longer bed on my '18 off road. In hindsight, I would also have possibly been a little happier with the Sport instead of the Off Road but I'm ok with what I have in that regard. I just never used the Off Road functions and like the hood on the Sport but like I said, I'm fine with what I have. I absolutely wish that I had got with the longer bed though. Not likely to trade any time soon and maybe never though.
I have some with the mods I’ve done to it, but strictly purchasing?

The night I drove the truck home I had a mini meltdown to my wife that I should’ve took the one that had the sunroof and painted rear bumper caps. I like driving with all of the windows down so I would have the sunroof open a lot. And I hated the chrome bumper caps. I didn’t pick that truck because it was a short bed and I didn’t want the short bed. I got over it pretty quickly and I’m SO glad I didn’t settle on a short bed just to have the sunroof.

In the same vein, I do wish my truck could be manual. But for some reason, they didn’t do manual with the long bed. And again, I really didn’t want to settle on a short bed.

Cool thread idea!

My only regret is that it isn't a 4x4. When I was shopping for a truck I had my eye on a 2016 Colorado Z71. I was this close to buying it, then the salesman said was also have a 2016 Tacoma and I forgot all about the Colorado.
Do you ever consider trading in for one?

My only regret is not buying with OEM LED headlights.
I didn’t have the option in 2017 but I really want to retro fit them. I can’t see shit with mine.

Should have bought the manual transmission. But I got a really good deal.
Same. But they oddly didn’t offer it with a long bed?

I should have got the sunroof.
See my post above. I’d love to have one.

I should have bought a Fj80.
True

My only regret is not getting one sooner, but I researched the crap out of the trims and packages so I was very picky.
I did the exact opposite and drove off the lot with my truck when hours prior I was looking for a Jeep JK and hardly knew what a Tacoma was all about.

regret not going for a trd or
Because of the locker?

Another thing that I couldn’t have anyway because I got the OR, is the hood scoop. I really like the scoop and thought I would eventually swap hoods with someone. Maybe I’ll get lucky and run into someone wanting to swap.

Sorry for keep posting but the one thing I opposite of regret is that I got a ‘17 instead of the ‘18 or newer. I’m glad I don’t have the extra safety electronics. The idea of the truck braking or turning the wheel on its own is spooky.

Should have bought the manual transmission. But I got a really good deal.
Also severely regret not grabbing a manual, then again I got a pro for a stupidly low price. (considering today's market)

Other than that this truck has been nothing short of perfect for me, just need a supercharger :)

None. I’m happy as all hell with my SR5. It’s a great daily driver and has everything I need. I didn’t over pay for the fancy stuff the off road has since mine is basically a pavement princess and happy I didn’t go with the sport because I’m not a fan of the way the hood scoop looks.

Do you ever consider trading in for one?

I didn’t have the option in 2017 but I really want to retro fit them. I can’t see shit with mine.

Same. But they oddly didn’t offer it with a long bed?

See my post above. I’d love to have one.

True

I did the exact opposite and drove off the lot with my truck when hours prior I was looking for a Jeep JK and hardly knew what a Tacoma was all about.

Because of the locker?
If I didn't enjoy not having a truck payment I would consider trading.

I wish I had not got the sunroof....6'-2" it does not help with head room!
Good point. I’m 6’1” and one of my biggest complaints is the head room. I guess I would hate the sunroof. So now I no longer regret not getting it. Thanks for helping me find some closure to my sunroof tragedy, lol.

None. I’m happy as all hell with my SR5. It’s a great daily driver and has everything I need. I didn’t over pay for the fancy stuff the off road has since mine is basically a pavement princess and happy I didn’t go with the sport because I’m not a fan of the way the hood scoop looks.
The hood scoop is THE only reason I went with the OR. I HATE HOOD SCOOPS. The only other necessity was a manual which kept it to either an OR or Sport. Narrowed it down pretty quickly with the hood scoop....lmao.

The hood scoop is THE only reason I went with the OR. I HATE HOOD SCOOPS. The only other necessity was a manual which kept it to either an OR or Sport. Narrowed it down pretty quickly with the hood scoop....lmao.
If I had a scoop or ever get a scoop, I’d want to make it functional. Does this engine need the extra air? No. But would it be cooler than keeping it nonfunctional? Probably.

I grabbed a carbon fiber hood, functional and loss of weight compared to stock

Attachments

• 61E879B9-E7B0-40A5-9FE7-D6F78D968915.jpeg
    61E879B9-E7B0-40A5-9FE7-D6F78D968915.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 70
If I had a scoop or ever get a scoop, I’d want to make it functional. Does this engine need the extra air? No. But would it be cooler than keeping it nonfunctional? Probably.
I would rather use a cowl induction hood vs a functional scoop, unless I was using a top mounted after cooler on a turbo setup (see Subaru). I'm always a fan of the old muscle cars with the cowl induction style hoods.

No regrets.

Dealer added all of the items on my 2020 TRD Off Road DCLB I would have gone out to purchase in the aftermarket world, and yes, I did pay dearly for them all, but when factoring in my time and money to do the very same, it was a "win/win". The LED headlights and Fog lights were the best item upgrade out of all. I will be swapping out the fogs for some yellow/amber Sport Diode Dynamics down the line, though, as they are better for the visibility issues I face where I live.

Oh, and yes: Even with the latest TSB upgrade, I still think the constant gear hunting is annoying, but that too shall be remedied with a solution that is out there, and soon.

For quite a while I regretted buying the truck... The crappy computer response to throttle pedal input, the clunky rear end, the terrible clutch engagement with that delay from the accumulator valve, the way it just gets worse the more you try to drive it faster... It's like Toyota didn't do anything more than just bolt a manual transmission into it.. It doesn't seem like they tried to adjust anything about how it drives to suit a manual.. However, the longer I've owned it the more thankful I am that Toyota gave me a manual option in a new truck.. I've made some modifications to mitigate some issues and just accepted some others......... So if I were to buy another truck today, it would still be this one.

Back