• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Purchased my Tacoma today!

Get yourself an oil separator. 100% should be your first mod.

Talk to me Goose? What's up with the oil separator?

Your engine relieves pressure from the crankcase through a hose that connects the valve cover to the intake manifold. This is commonly refereed to as "blow-by". The ventilation of blow-by gases contaminates the intake air by allowing oil and gunk into the intake manifold. Over time, that gunk will build up inside the intake runners and valves and begin to hurt fuel economy, horsepower, and cause misfires. Left unchecked, this can lead to more serious issues like pre-ignition or pinging.

Adding a catch-can will prevent buildup inside your engine. Essentially the catch can will act as a collection system before they can reach the intake manifold. It's super easy to install and service. Took me maybe 10 minutes to install and 2 minutes to service. I recommend servicing it every oil change.

Here's what I collected from mine after only 4,000 miles:

1603042793378.png

Your engine relieves pressure from the crankcase through a hose that connects the valve cover to the intake manifold. This is commonly refereed to as "blow-by". The ventilation of blow-by gases contaminates the intake air by allowing oil and gunk into the intake manifold. Over time, that gunk will build up inside the intake runners and valves and begin to hurt fuel economy, horsepower, and cause misfires. Left unchecked, this can lead to more serious issues like pre-ignition or pinging.

Adding a catch-can will prevent buildup inside your engine. Essentially the catch can will act as a collection system before they can reach the intake manifold. It's super easy to install and service. Took me maybe 10 minutes to install and 2 minutes to service. I recommend servicing it every oil change.

Here's what I collected from mine after only 4,000 miles:

Excellent advise. I will plan on putting a separator on as soon as I get the truck. Do you have any links for a brand?

@CBrob Negative. It does not have anything to do with exhaust gas recirculation. The 3.5L has variable valve timing so it does not need an egr.

I just purchased a 2021 TRD Off Road, DCSB with 6M, Premium package, technology package, LED lights and Tonneau. It was built on 10/26/20 and I heard from the dealer it will not ship until 12/7-12/14. Unbelievable that it does not ship until 6 weeks after being built.

I just purchased a 2021 TRD Off Road, DCSB with 6M, Premium package, technology package, LED lights and Tonneau. It was built on 10/26/20 and I heard from the dealer it will not ship until 12/7-12/14. Unbelievable that it does not ship until 6 weeks after being built.
Congratulations on your new truck. Welcome to hurry up and wait. It’s about a year wait for after market options.

Back