• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pizza Cutter MT Shootout - Officially Over. No Rubbing!

The Nitro Recon Grappler is now available in 255/80 17.

I have that size in the Ridge Grappler and do not love them. They do all right on rock and what we get for out out here in NV, but not great in snow or loose gravel and sand.

Recons should be a bit more all-terrain aligned with the smaller blocks, sipes and narrower channels.

These tires, on a zero off set wheel are much easier to package than a 285. Performance wise, I'm very happy with the size. It's big enough, but not too big. Does really well for casual off-roading, exploring and mils rock crawling.

-M

I have that size in the Ridge Grappler and do not love them. They do all right on rock and what we get for out out here in NV, but not great in snow or loose gravel and sand.

Recons should be a bit more all-terrain aligned with the smaller blocks, sipes and narrower channels.

These tires, on a zero off set wheel are much easier to package than a 285. Performance wise, I'm very happy with the size. It's big enough, but not too big. Does really well for casual off-roading, exploring and mils rock crawling.

-M
Ya know, it was just yesterday that I discovered that the recons will come in the 255/80/17. Dealership does their annual sale starting Oct 1 and up until this new info, I had planned on purchasing Ridge Grapplers since I’ve enjoyed them in the OEM size. That being said, I did note them to be a little slippy in the winter, as you pointed out. I was hoping that the narrower tread of the 255’s would offset this but you make an interesting point with the Recons being an AT visually and by nittos classification.

Comparing the specs per nitto’s site, I was curious of your thoughts. The recons are surprisingly a pound heavier and 0.25 inch shorter, the latter of which I suspect is due in part the a shallower tread depth. Most interestingly though is nitto rates the ridges as having better wet performance than the recons (only by a measly 0.5 points but still, not what I expected!). Comfort favors recons and offroad prowess goes to ridges. Again by only 0.5. Quietness is the same?

A substantial part of me wants to give the recons a go. I suppose was just hoping there’d be more convincing numbers.

Ya know, it was just yesterday that I discovered that the recons will come in the 255/80/17. Dealership does their annual sale starting Oct 1 and up until this new info, I had planned on purchasing Ridge Grapplers since I’ve enjoyed them in the OEM size. That being said, I did note them to be a little slippy in the winter, as you pointed out. I was hoping that the narrower tread of the 255’s would offset this but you make an interesting point with the Recons being an AT visually and by nittos classification.

Comparing the specs per nitto’s site, I was curious of your thoughts. The recons are surprisingly a pound heavier and 0.25 inch shorter, the latter of which I suspect is due in part the a shallower tread depth. Most interestingly though is nitto rates the ridges as having better wet performance than the recons (only by a measly 0.5 points but still, not what I expected!). Comfort favors recons and offroad prowess goes to ridges. Again by only 0.5. Quietness is the same?

A substantial part of me wants to give the recons a go. I suppose was just hoping there’d be more convincing numbers.
I don't know how much stock I put in Nitto's qualitative ratings there. I think the sizing will be more or less the same. That's not really gonna be noticeable. The weight is significant though...

I really want the Terra Grappler g2 in this size. And a C rated would be even better.

-M

I don't know how much stock I put in Nitto's qualitative ratings there. I think the sizing will be more or less the same. That's not really gonna be noticeable. The weight is significant though...

I really want the Terra Grappler g2 in this size. And a C rated would be even better.

-M
Fair points. Do any 255/80 exist in C load? Yes the Terra has a much more reassuring tread and sipe pattern. I’ll report back once the new recon shoes are on.

Those are some beeefy tires they got wow... May have to look into some when I get bigger wheels :)

Those are some beeefy tires they got wow... May have to look into some when I get bigger wheels :)
The 255/85 size works with the 16” wheel on your offroad and is the equivalent to the 255/80/17. There’s a few options in that ratio. Just a note, I think 8.5” is about as wide a wheel you’d want to run a pizza cutter on if you are upgrading wheels and want the skinny. Unsponsored plug, alpha equip makes their Foxtrot wheel specifically for this purpose. Pretty slick looking IMO

-M

Time to wear down the ridge grapplers

Back