• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pizza Cutter MT Shootout - Officially Over. No Rubbing!

406Camper

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
Ok guys and gals, I need your feedback.
Looking to purchase new "skinny" tires for Moab in 255/85/16.
All research points to these MT tires:
Brand Size Weight
Falken Wildpeak MT 32-33.1" 51 lbs.
Toyo MT 33.5" 61 lbs.
Cooper S/T Maxx 32.8" 53-58 lbs.
BFG KM3's 33.1" 56-59 lbs.

Keeping stock 16" rims, and I have an ICON Stage 3 lift with AAL which gives me 2.5"-2.75" of lift.

Vehicle is used 80% off road in Montana and 20% as DD. I have to drive about 2 hours on the highway to get to good trails. I like to snow wheel as well. I usually do a trail ride at least once a month. I don't want to do a CMC or any plastic trimming if at all possible.
Weight is a consideration as I have a steel bumper, rock sliders, and some armor. No RTT or anything super heavy.

Anyone have experience with these tires off road, on road, wear, and fitment?
Am I missing any other MT brands in this size?
Greatly appreciated.

Mark

I'd be interested to see how a skinny works in Moab. You should be fine with that amount of lift.

-M

From my experience, Toyo MTs are of a softer material, therefore fantastic for offroad in rocks (MOAB) but do not last as long on the road. I have run toyos on all my past trucks and have absolutely loved them.

That tire would be my first choice, then the BFG's next.

Interested to see what you come up with!

I am running the Toyo MT and love them. Great road manners and outstanding off road. They are a 50k mile tire wear wise.

Another note about skinnies in rocks: Your wheels will take a beating. Get the ones with the most sidewall tread.

-M

Ok guys and gals, I need your feedback.
Looking to purchase new "skinny" tires for Moab in 255/85/16.
All research points to these MT tires:
Brand Size Weight
Falken Wildpeak MT 32-33.1" 51 lbs.
Toyo MT 33.5" 61 lbs.
Cooper S/T Maxx 32.8" 53-58 lbs.
BFG KM3's 33.1" 56-59 lbs.

Keeping stock 16" rims, and I have an ICON Stage 3 lift with AAL which gives me 2.5"-2.75" of lift.

Vehicle is used 80% off road in Montana and 20% as DD. I have to drive about 2 hours on the highway to get to good trails. I like to snow wheel as well. I usually do a trail ride at least once a month. I don't want to do a CMC or any plastic trimming if at all possible.
Weight is a consideration as I have a steel bumper, rock sliders, and some armor. No RTT or anything super heavy.

Anyone have experience with these tires off road, on road, wear, and fitment?
Am I missing any other MT brands in this size?
Greatly appreciated.

Mark
I have had the Coopers in the 37x12.5x17 great tire, currently running Falken 35x12.5x17 and have no complements...the Flakens are super quiet on highway but for Moab I would suggest the S/T Maxx. No experience or input on the other two.

I have had the Coopers in the 37x12.5x17 great tire, currently running Falken 35x12.5x17 and have no complements...the Flakens are super quiet on highway but for Moab I would suggest the S/T Maxx. No experience or input on the other two.
@Trudog, the bonus with the S/T Maxx is that they are stud capable for here in MT, but significantly more expensive. Falkens are the lightest and also least expensive.

I'd be interested to see how a skinny works in Moab. You should be fine with that amount of lift.

-M
@StormRnr Mike: How much plastic did you have to trim to fit your pizza cutters? I know you didn't have to do a CMC. Any rubbing issues? Kinda wish Nitto made an MT in 16". I am re-considering 17" after your video, but that would mean new wheels which I wasn't planning for in my budget.

Ridge grapplers. 255/80/17 on a -10 offset tire. They do great in snow when air’s down. Did have to chop the cmc as there was slight contact. Still have some minor rub on the plastics at full lock but nothing to worrisome

These are the 255/85-16 Cooper ST Max on my truck in Moab.
20210806_114435-02.jpeg
I love this tire. Best wearing tire I've ever owned. Grips great on rock and sand. I normally take them off it the winter but swapped them over to my stock wheels for winter use.
20211231_143945.jpg

I replaced them recently got a set of Yokohama MTs in the same size. I have very little input on them as of yet. Only drove them home and swapped them out.

@StormRnr Mike: How much plastic did you have to trim to fit your pizza cutters? I know you didn't have to do a CMC. Any rubbing issues? Kinda wish Nitto made an MT in 16". I am re-considering 17" after your video, but that would mean new wheels which I wasn't planning for in my budget.
A tiny bit of cutting with a 2 inch lift. Just plastic.

The Ridge Grapplers are OK in loose to rocky terrain. I don't like them in snow and ice at all. The wheels I have are 0 offset.

I did a video of a 4Runner Camper build and he had 255 85 16 in one of the mud terrains. I think the RG is the only nitro in that size and they don't have many good options in 16" at all.

-M

So i recently grabbed a new setup and mixed in some skinnies as well. One I don't see in your list is the Yokohama Geolandar MT/ 003. I spent a ton of time before I picked my tires and found that the Yokohama's come in at the lightest in this size and MT at 54lbs. I saw a lot of reviews about them floating around that they were the best MT's for good all-around performance. Sprinkled through all the other forums and google searches, they are said to have the best "all terrain" performance. Like an AT with a shift toward Mud dominant, if that makes sense.

Similar to above, I haven't been able to put them completely through their paces yet, but I will say they are quiet on the road for an MT, slightly louder than my previous Nitto AT's.

Anyway, they come in about 33.5" measured at 34psi. On the truck about 33 flat. I'm running a -7 offset here and they rub very slightly on the cab mount under compression while turning with a stock ride height. With some caster introduced they'd clear nearly everything except the very edges of the front fender liner which you can heat mold. I'm dropping down to 0 offset (spacers) as i don't like the look, just a little too much poke (a hair) and I figure it will help with clearance since it changes the scrub radius a bit, pulling the tire away from the fender liner and cab mount during turns.

Heres a photo or two.

IMG_8631.jpg
IMG_8656_jpg.jpg
IMG_8667.jpg

Last edited:
@itsthex, I didn't consider those. Are those 16's or 17's? They appear to be 17's. Thanks for the recommendation and write up.

So i recently grabbed a new setup and mixed in some skinnies as well. One I don't see in your list is the Yokohama Geolandar MT/ 003. I spent a ton of time before I picked my tires and found that the Yokohama's come in at the lightest in this size and MT at 54lbs. I saw a lot of reviews about them floating around that they were the best MT's for good all-around performance. Sprinkled through all the other forums and google searches, they are said to have the best "all terrain" performance. Like an AT with a shift toward Mud dominant, if that makes sense.

Similar to above, I haven't been able to put them completely through their paces yet, but I will say they are quiet on the road for an MT, slightly louder than my previous Nitto AT's.

Anyway, they come in about 33.5" measured at 34psi. On the truck about 33 flat. I'm running a -7 offset here and they rub very slightly on the cab mount under compression while turning with a stock ride height. With some caster introduced they'd clear nearly everything except the very edges of the front fender liner which you can heat mold. I'm dropping down to 0 offset (spacers) as i don't like the look, just a little too much poke (a hair) and I figure it will help with clearance since it changes the scrub radius a bit, pulling the tire away from the fender liner and cab mount during turns.

Heres a photo or two.

IMG_8631.jpg
IMG_8656_jpg.jpg
IMG_8667.jpg
Not a helpful answer but holy shit those are hawt

Damn, I so want a 33", but in a A/T, not a M/T. So far I could get a 255/80/17 Wildpeak A/T, but would need to purchase 17" rims.

Too bad they dont make them in a 255/85/16 :mad:

Last edited:
Cooper S/T Maxx's are on Backorder until April 2022. I ordered my Toyo Open Country MT's through Discount Tire and saved $350 with the Presidents Day Sale and Military Discount program. They are coming from Minnesota, and scheduled to be installed next week. If those don't work out, my backups are the Yoko Geolander MT's (thanks to @Bird dog and @wvytaco for the recommendation for Toyo and @itsthex, @Berserker__taco for the recommendation on the Yoko's). Reports on BFG KM3 rubber is that it isn't as good as KM2. They don't make the KM2's anymore in 16". And OMG are tires expensive now!

Last edited:
Anytime! Price is why I jumped and bought a new set. I was figuring my Coopers had another summer left on them but when I saw the prices start jumping I figured I'd get ahead of it. The 255/85-16's were higher priced to begin with but it's insane now. I wanted another set of ST Maxx but they went to 328 a tire. I bought my current set at 192 a tire 😑. The Yoko were still in my range so figured I'd give them a try. Hopefully yours show up!

Not sure how much this contributes to the topic of the thread because 285/75r16 is really not a pizza cutter, buuut. I have some old comparison pics between that tire size and a 315/75r16 which makes the 285/75s kind of appear as pizza cutters. Anyway, I don’t really recommend BFG anymore, for what it’s worth.

1E8AA515-3BFE-4C48-B807-3A7F6E04ABB6.jpeg
75520B16-7DA3-4CEC-8F3C-122255C7D04F.jpeg

Those are massive! Yeah, lot's of complaints with the BFG KM3's, especially after 10,000 miles. Thanks for sharing.

Those are massive! Yeah, lot's of complaints with the BFG KM3's, especially after 10,000 miles. Thanks for sharing.
And the smaller one is the KO2 which my dad and I have pretty much used for life. But idk, after trying Nitto, I’d never go back. Not unless something weird happens with the Nittos. Then I would try something else.

And the smaller one is the KO2 which my dad and I have pretty much used for life. But idk, after trying Nitto, I’d never go back. Not unless something weird happens with the Nittos. Then I would try something else.
Wich Nittos? I like the KO2 over the Ridge Grappler. Ko2 is better on slippery surfaces. I might try the nitro AT. they re 3 peak snow rated.

-M

Wich Nittos? I like the KO2 over the Ridge Grappler. Ko2 is better on slippery surfaces. I might try the nitro AT. they re 3 peak snow rated.

-M
Not pizza cutter related so I don’t know how true this would be for pizza sizes, but I went from a 35” KM3 to a 37” Ridge Grappler. The Nittos are truer to size, lighter weight (relative), and WAY quieter. On rocks, mud, snow, I only have good things to say about both the BFG and Nittos.

Not pizza cutter related so I don’t know how true this would be for pizza sizes, but I went from a 35” KM3 to a 37” Ridge Grappler. The Nittos are truer to size, lighter weight (relative), and WAY quieter. On rocks, mud, snow, I only have good things to say about both the BFG and Nittos.
I believe that. The Nittos probably compare well to a mudder. They are quiet and good in rocks.

-M

Cooper S/T Maxx's are on Backorder until April 2022. I ordered my Toyo Open Country MT's through Discount Tire and saved $350 with the Presidents Day Sale and Military Discount program. They are coming from Minnesota, and scheduled to be installed next week. If those don't work out, my backups are the Yoko Geolander MT's (thanks to @Bird dog and @wvytaco for the recommendation for Toyo and @itsthex, @Berserker__taco for the recommendation on the Yoko's). Reports on BFG KM3 rubber is that it isn't as good as KM2. They don't make the KM2's anymore in 16". And OMG are tires expensive now!
No problem! then after a bit with the toyo M/Ts you will get addicted to meats and decide to go balls out and try MAXXIS RAZR M/Ts, or at least my idiotic self did lol, worth the noise tho.

f.jpg

Results of the Pizza Cutter Shootout...
I went with the Toyo Open Country MT's. I think it is a great looking tire. As an MT it is a little louder on the highway (low hum), but not too bad. It didn't increase the decibel reading at all.
I expect significantly better off-road performance, which is 80% of what I do.
Discount Tire guys struggled to get the spare to fit, but finally were able to squeeze it in there.
Got an alignment this morning and it drives great. Really makes the truck look like a truck.
I wish I had pulled the trigger sooner.
Looking forward to Moab.
FYI, The Yokohama Geolander MT's were my second choice (and significantly cheaper).
The Cooper S/T Maxx's are on backorder until April.

Attachments

• PXL_20220301_225032639.jpg
    PXL_20220301_225032639.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 307
  • PXL_20220301_225242506.jpg
    PXL_20220301_225242506.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 296
  • PXL_20220301_225311694.jpg
    PXL_20220301_225311694.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 304
Looks good. Another option I just looked at is the BFG KO2 34 x 10.5. It's listed as 33.5" But based on every other KO2 it's probably only 33. I might try those when I'm done with the Ridge Grapplers.

-M

I have searched high and low and all around and cannot find a quality 10 inch wide 33 with a SL rating. I refuse to put on the E rated tires when I especially don’t need them.

Last edited:
I have searched high and low and all around and cannot find a quality 10 inch wide 33 with a SL rating. I refuse to put on the E rated tires when I especially don’t need them.
They just don't make tires like this in P Metric casings.

Back