• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Passenger Seat Shaking

Bessi3-taco

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
Anyone figured out a fix for the passenger seat shaking at or over 75mph? I don't drive that fast often and when I do it bothers me till I'm able to ignore it.

I never noticed a shake with my passenger seat. My daily commute to work (before I started working from home) was approx 30 miles one way with an average speed over 80 on the fine pothole filled roads of CT.

Upvote 0
Mine does it too. Poor & cheap design. Seat jackers made it worse too

Upvote 0
the last 3 days my passenger seat has been shaking like crazy. My truck only have 4k miles on it. :(

Upvote 0
I'm glad I found this thread and it isn't just me! I have 2k on my truck and the passenger seat bouncing has been bothering me since the day I bought it. For longer trips, I wedge a coat or fold up a beanie between the seat and center console to stop the shake. Now if I can only figure out what the muted thud is coming from the right rear passenger seat every time I hit a pothole or bump in the road...

Upvote 0
I'm glad I found this thread and it isn't just me! I have 2k on my truck and the passenger seat bouncing has been bothering me since the day I bought it. For longer trips, I wedge a coat or fold up a beanie between the seat and center console to stop the shake. Now if I can only figure out what the muted thud is coming from the right rear passenger seat every time I hit a pothole or bump in the road...
Check the jack and tools that are located under the seat (if it’s a double cab)

Upvote 0
I had a clunk from my pass front seat when I bought mine, I found only one side of the tracks was locked into loosening the track bolts and moving the seat and see if it "clicks" it so that the lock is completely engaged and see if it stops.

Upvote 0
It's a harmonic thing. A little bit of tire or drivetrain vibration just happens to hit the passenger seat's sweet spot for constructive interference. Next step in Tacoma evolution, turning it into a musical note...

it doesn't do it when my wife is sitting there :)

Upvote 0
I also found having at least 34psi in the tires help minimize the shaking.
mine are 35psi cold and the shaking has stopped. I just had my first service and the Toyota service tech told me he has seen it in a few trucks but Toyota hasn't done anything about it yet.

Upvote 0
N
Have you tried rubbing your hand flat across your tires to see if there's any flat spots or humps?
If I'm getting on your nerves just say so, I just want to help you figure out what the causes are because I had the same issues and it's now completely gone.:)
Never done that. This was an issue even before I went from stock wheel/tire set up to aftermarket wheels and 33's. It's become a "characteristic" of the truck. I've come to terms with it.

Upvote 0
And I have had this issue since I bought the truck brand new with 12 miles on it. My first seat shaking experience occurred when I got on the very first freeway with ~16 miles on the odometer.

Upvote 0
Also have this issue since I have owned my truck. 3 sets of tires, balances etc. it has always done this. Glad I am not the only one as well. I slide my pac seat all the way back and it makes it less prominent and is also out of my line of sight at least.

I wonder if a weighted rear seat cover like a molle panel with your supplies in it would dampen it?

Upvote 0
Also have this issue since I have owned my truck. 3 sets of tires, balances etc. it has always done this. Glad I am not the only one as well. I slide my pac seat all the way back and it makes it less prominent and is also out of my line of sight at least.

I wonder if a weighted rear seat cover like a molle panel with your supplies in it would dampen it?
I once took out the entire seat (there's bare metal on the frame and wanted to clean/paint plus wanted to see if there's anything loose) and still didn't help after tightening everything back up.
Just like you, it's pushed all the way back and with music loud enough, I don't notice it as much lol.

Upvote 0
And I have had this issue since I bought the truck brand new with 12 miles on it. My first seat shaking experience occurred when I got on the very first freeway with ~16 miles on the odometer.
If this ever ends up being a simple stupid fix, I'll burn it down.

Upvote 0
Back