• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Oregon

I spent 20 years in Cali. Just moved up to Eugene last week. Been raining all week but it’s a nice change
It has not been a dry Spring. At least you missed the record snowfall.

It has not been a dry Spring. At least you missed the record snowfall.
Actually bought the house back in October, my family was up here but I wasn’t. Definitely look really nice in pictures, but heard the city was pretty much shut down

Anybody in Oregon doing any trails anytime soon. Haven’t gotten to really test out the truck. It’s still stock right now

Anybody in Oregon doing any trails anytime soon. Haven’t gotten to really test out the truck. It’s still stock right now

Noonday trail might be open. I've always wanted to do that one. It would be great to have a Taco Dune Day out in Florence sometime.

Anyone that’s watching this forum up for a last minute trail run. Was thinking of heading out to Shotgun Creek. Not planning to do anything too crazy. Just wanna get the truck off the pavement. Was thinking tomorrow, Thursday. Or if no ones available, is it a easy enough trail to do solo?

@Tyler Anyway we can get this Thread named to Oregon Trail runs? Or a new "Central Oregon Trail Runs"... Would be cool
Most places have like a bs thread and this would be good for that, could make a thread specifically for organizing off-road meetups though. Whoever the op is to a post also has the ability to change a thread name to whatever they want I believe as well

Just for Info, anyone that didn't see the post. There is supposed to be a meet July 27th to August 3rd for us Oregon folk lol

Anyone that’s watching this forum up for a last minute trail run. Was thinking of heading out to Shotgun Creek. Not planning to do anything too crazy. Just wanna get the truck off the pavement. Was thinking tomorrow, Thursday. Or if no ones available, is it a easy enough trail to do solo?
Did you ever go out there? I'm a bit shamed to say I've lived in Eugene for pretty close to 20 years and I've never gone out to Shotgun. I like to bomb around at Low Pass or out around Crow

Did you ever go out there? I'm a bit shamed to say I've lived in Eugene for pretty close to 20 years and I've never gone out to Shotgun. I like to bomb around at Low Pass or out around Crow
No I ended up just taking care of stuff at the house. I don’t have work on the 4th coming up. So I’m gonna make it a point to go out there. If you’re not doing anything, it’d be cool to meet someone out there. Also what is Crow and Low Pass. Sorry just moved up here and still learning

Last edited:
I think my wife is abandoning me with the kids that day and they hate going off road for (justified) fear of Papa getting stuck...so yeah, I might be down.

I think my wife is abandoning me with the kids that day and they hate going off road for (justified) fear of Papa getting stuck...so yeah, I might be down.
Ok so update on shotgun creek for anyone that has not been out there. It was the trucks first time off pavement too. Bone stock as far as tires and suspension, etc. My dads 2018 F250 FX4 tagged along as we weren’t planning on getting into anything to ridiculous.

Also I did I great job of having an off-roading gear list that I decided to leave behind, eh I’ll be good with tow straps and shackles ( again didn’t plan on doing anything too serious )???. Well we really only found two trails that were available for trucks due to closures for logging.

So we journey in about 10 miles on unmaintained dirt roads ( decent fun for a day trip and casual cruising ). We finally arrive at trail #3, it has two segments, moderate to start and easy to finish and then it would drop us back at the trail head after finishing on another dirt road. We start down the trail, not too bad. Then here comes the first obstacle. A Jeep with 35s would do great. There was two options; giant sharp edge boulders that would destroy the truck or navigate the long bed truck around this tight turn that was completely mud with a couple thicker banks. Long story short I slam my RR fender and bumper into the embankment ( luckily mostly mud so no damage). Then I get completely bogged down in the mud with absolutely no traction. Finally after 2 hours and careful maneuvers and many fallen tree branches we cleared it. At this point I ran the .5 mile trail to check if it was worse, and it was. So we ended up deciding to flip it around and go back out. At this point I hear air coming from the LR and discover a nail. I have work tmw and I really don’t want to leave my truck there. Eventually decided to just grab the ford and pull the truck out and quickly head home. So definitely a fun experience but not doable in a stock truck. But if you’re looking for a day trip and nice decent off road cruise, you can just stick to the main routes.

Also thanks to my dad and brother who were staking logs under the tires.

Summary:
Id do it again with a lift, sliders, and skid panels, winch, and better tires. Still plan on heading up there this Saturday to just cruise around

The photos do not do the ditch justice

Attachments

• 22AFCE79-FCC8-4E44-9A27-F8D14BBF6D68.jpeg
    22AFCE79-FCC8-4E44-9A27-F8D14BBF6D68.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 8735CAE6-A530-425A-918A-C05741C43A7E.jpeg
    8735CAE6-A530-425A-918A-C05741C43A7E.jpeg
    800.1 KB · Views: 176
  • CD7528B6-FDE0-4D3F-B2E9-8998589451BB.jpeg
    CD7528B6-FDE0-4D3F-B2E9-8998589451BB.jpeg
    789 KB · Views: 165
  • A4CBBB16-C44C-4FE3-B9D3-0CA426EE3D02.jpeg
    A4CBBB16-C44C-4FE3-B9D3-0CA426EE3D02.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 70603E3C-EB75-4FEC-B5E5-EAEC48B5FFC5.jpeg
    70603E3C-EB75-4FEC-B5E5-EAEC48B5FFC5.jpeg
    655.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 73F94F5D-A008-41EE-A0ED-E12DED50AF1A.jpeg
    73F94F5D-A008-41EE-A0ED-E12DED50AF1A.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 160
  • 5F96B266-6CD9-4CC1-9591-AFE8237A67F7.jpeg
    5F96B266-6CD9-4CC1-9591-AFE8237A67F7.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 2883A4CE-5221-4783-A4B7-7303E9EE907D.jpeg
    2883A4CE-5221-4783-A4B7-7303E9EE907D.jpeg
    789 KB · Views: 174
  • 47668361-FCFA-41E7-9D5A-350A14A5DCD2.jpeg
    47668361-FCFA-41E7-9D5A-350A14A5DCD2.jpeg
    800.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Portland here, new to the site, been lurking for a while. Had a 2010 regular cab with no frills for a while, just traded it in for a 2019.

What's your tow hitch cover? Is it a gag or does it serve a purpose?
Welcome to the site. Glad to have another Oregonian on here lol. It’s not a tow hitch cover. It’s a shackle receiver with a 3/4” shackle for if you need to pull someone out, or need to get pulled out

Reposting here for people in Oregon
Toyota of Gladstone sucks

Well big fucking update:
It took Kendall Toyota of Eugene all of 3 hours to tell me the TRD PRO grille makes the recall void. Apparently Toyota issued a notice on May 13th that any front end modification would do this. Literally all the recall is, is an update and piece of foam that sticks to the sensor. They said they couldn’t do anything. So I said fuck it I’ll buy the part and do it myself. As soon as I left I called another dealer in the next city and explained the whole situation. The service coordinator was amazed at what I told him because apparently Toyota issued another statement that the modded grille would not void. He said “ people mod their Tacomas and Tundras, it’s what truck people do”. He said they will take care of the sensor update and to just bring the part I purchased over. Seemed very friendly and apologetic for the inconvenience. I’m going to have a very stern phone call with the Kendall Toyota because they pulled a similar stunt with our 4 runner

Sorry to hear that man. I may sound a bit cynical here but almost all dealers I've ever worked with have sucked in one way or another. The sad part is most just don't care cause there is always a steady flow of people willing to go to the dealer. At least you found a good one that was able to help you out.

Kendall Toyota I where I got my rig. I should have gone with Lithia over in Springfield.

Kendall Toyota I where I got my rig. I should have gone with Lithia over in Springfield.
Well I forgot to post an update, but Lithia Toyota took care of the recall in half the time Kendall quoted. Very friendly. I would definitely go to Lithia for all service

Well I forgot to post an update, but Lithia Toyota took care of the recall in half the time Kendall quoted. Very friendly. I would definitely go to Lithia for all service

Yeah, that's pretty consistent with what I've heard. I need to have my 20k service soon. I think I'll go over to Lithia.

Back