• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Official R/C thread

Can we delete this thread? You guys are about to make me yolo buy one. Order first, tell Paige once it arrives at the doorstep, have her get mad for an hour, me not care and enjoy my new R/C.

Which one should I look into? You guys ever build kits or mostly stick to RTR?

And you should! Buy an axial kit. Called artr (almost ready to run). Scx10ii. Deadbolt, honcho they are all good. You’ll have fun putting the gears in, building trans and hooking it all in.

I typically buy kits or I’ll buy a rtr and strip it lol. You will have to buy an esc and motor/ servo/ radio with an artr. But it’s worth it.

Towerhobbies sometimes has a 20$ off, 50$ off based on how much you spend. It’s been a while but I believe I usually got 30$ off a new rig at $399.00

Besides the fact that it's just fun cause I'm a little boy, I could see it being kind of handy for road-life. It literally helps me completely wear out my energetic dogs and it might provide some speciality YouTube content for my Wandering Winterfields channel. It would also be a conversation starter and I could probably hit some R/C expos around the country.

If ordering a kit, is it reasonable to order upgraded parts and not even bother installing crappy stock parts (if there are crappy stock parts in the kit)?

Besides the fact that it's just fun cause I'm a little boy, I could see it being kind of handy for road-life. It literally helps me completely wear out my energetic dogs and it might provide some speciality YouTube content for my Wandering Winterfields channel. It would also be a conversation starter and I could probably hit some R/C expos around the country.

If ordering a kit, is it reasonable to order upgraded parts and not even bother installing crappy stock parts (if there are crappy stock parts in the kit)?

Kits actually come with better parts. Usually links, trans gears come metal in a kit vs a rtr most of the time doesn’t.

Definitely easier to install the upgraded parts while your building the entire thing. Stay away from integy parts. Cheap alum and will break.

Kits actually come with better parts. Usually links, trans gears come metal in a kit vs a rtr most of the time doesn’t.

Definitely easier to install the upgraded parts while your building the entire thing. Stay away from integy parts. Cheap alum and will break.
I didn't know kits come with anything different than RTR.

You got any links for obvious immediate upgrades? Batteries? Radios?

Also, scale R/C is obviously WAY cooler. But the speed of the nitro trucks is kind of tempting for the dogs and the open areas of the west coast...

Any favorite R/C YouTube pages? I know of a bunch but there are some of them that I can't stand because the personalities seem fake as hell.

Any favorite R/C YouTube pages? I know of a bunch but there are some of them that I can't stand because the personalities seem fake as hell.

Rc sparks. He comes off as an arrogant ass but he’s pretty cool. He reviews everything

Also, scale R/C is obviously WAY cooler. But the speed of the nitro trucks is kind of tempting for the dogs and the open areas of the west coast...

Yessir. Give me a bit and I’ll find links

Rc sparks. He comes off as an arrogant ass but he’s pretty cool. He reviews everything
He was one of the ones that I find unwatchable because he has that YouTube famous personality now. But yeah, does still have quality content on every single thing on the market.

He was one of the ones that I find unwatchable because he has that YouTube famous personality now. But yeah, does still have quality content on every single thing on the market.

Check out recon g6. Axial branded. Parker is a very cool guy. He runs all the g6 events across the world (yeah goes to like Japan, Greece, etc)

Yeah I couldn’t stand rc sparks at first. If he’s not talking like a douche he’s good.

He is insane and I would love having a replicated version of mine.

Is the Axial Jeep Gladiator on an extended chassis that you can't get in any other kit?

It shouldn’t be extended anymore than normal. They started adding extra holes to lengthen all frames to accommodate different bodies.

I'd love to do a double cab longbed Tacoma on this. It does appear to be extended according to their website.

Glad:

1600283341563.png

JL:

1600283376823.png

Original link: https://youtu.be/aHD0r6fwYhk

I'd love to do a double cab longbed Tacoma on this. It does appear to be extended according to their website.

Glad:

1600283341563.png

JL:

1600283376823.png

Original link: https://youtu.be/aHD0r6fwYhk

Wow I’m surprised they did that. I haven’t seen the scx10iii yet

The scx10ii would only adjust by moving links out some.

They aren’t hard to modify. Wonder if the guy will make the dclb.

Might need to get one of those bad boys. They seem like HUGE upgrades over the SCX10 that I had, which I guess is a dinosaur now.

I know they aren't scale crawlers, but do you know anything about the ARRMA stuff? Is this a newer company? https://www.arrma-rc.com

Might need to get one of those bad boys. They seem like HUGE upgrades over the SCX10 that I had, which I guess is a dinosaur now.

I know they aren't scale crawlers, but do you know anything about the ARRMA stuff? Is this a newer company? https://www.arrma-rc.com

Can’t beat an OG scx10 though they were the bees knees. Still have boxes of parts from them, could probably build a rig from it lol

I’d take an arrma over traxxas, on their stadium trucks at least. I always broke something on my Slash but my arrma has seen rocks at full speed, trees, flips etc and it still runs fine and I’ve replaced maybe 3 parts on it. I couldn’t get 5 minutes out of my slash.

Get the brushless ones, they are quickkk

Never had a Traxxas and I guess I'd skip ARRMA too. I could go with a HPI Savage because I've always wanted to (but they're only cool because they're fast, otherwise they're ugly) or the Axial SCX10 III which is totally badass. If I even actually get one, lol.

Never had a Traxxas and I guess I'd skip ARRMA too. I could go with a HPI Savage because I've always wanted to (but they're only cool because they're fast, otherwise they're ugly) or the Axial SCX10 III which is totally badass. If I even actually get one, lol.

Arrma is awesome, we have two of them. What I was saying is i won’t buy another traxxas slash, id get an arrma.

Any of the hobby grade ones are great though. No matter what. I dig the crawlers cause you can customize them just like a real rig. Add working light bars, pods, upgrade gears, 2 speed transmissions, tires, beadlocks, winches that work and everything else. I want to build a hilux (rc4wd trailfinder) leaf spring rear and put the Ute bed on it with canopy and rtt. But what I just said is like over 1500$ 😬

Just like real stuff, I hate buying big purchases at once. I like to buy pieces and then I “feel” as though I didn’t spend as much.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ssd00148.htm

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ssd00145.htm

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/vps08101.htm

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/knkscx200.htm

That’s a few of the first ones I’d do first. Also grab a set of tools (rc specific)

Lipo batteries 7.4v and charger. Can get those in valuehobby.com. You want like 4000mah or 5200mah. Smaller doesn’t last as long, bigger makes it too heavy.

Radios- spektrum or tactic is fine

***FIXED***
*well those were supposed to be links but it didn’t work. Rpphobby is where to order parts, or eBay. Rpp has discount codes too. On their page

Last edited:
Sick bronco. That’s very cool. I like those ideas where u can buy em for the full detail bodies and put onto a rc scale size crawler!

HPI RS4. I believe this pic was taken over 20years ago. Damn, I feel old.

5A85E32A-74E2-4ED7-9EFF-E858E6965647.jpeg
My dad had the coolest Lambo from Radio Shack, back when they made solid stuff and way before the other brands mentioned in this thread existed. It must be 30 years old. I gotta see if it's still in his basement.

Last edited:
Do you buy the whole R/C and rip the body off? Is it technically 1/10 scale or just close enough?

Yeah I think they are like $70 (which is nothing for a hardbody. Walmart(new bright) typically calls their stuff like that 1/8 scale but in real hobby grade is actually 1/10.

back when the 4 door wrangler body came our they were selling like crazy, they had a fully detailed interior and removable hardtop, I saw people actually buying just the body for over $250.

So a lot of people buy these bodies up and sell them on eBay

Back