• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

MTB Riders Thread!

I use our Outboard Bike Mounts.

MAX Modular -8.jpg

MAX Modular -9.jpg

MAX Modular -12.jpg
Very nice setup and sick bike too! I'm looking for something that wouldn't require me removing the front wheel though.

Very nice setup and sick bike too! I'm looking for something that wouldn't require me removing the front wheel though.

Those types of racks can also be mounted to our Outboard Bike Mounts, but I like the stability of a fork mount, and taking the front wheel on and off takes about 15 seconds, so it's no big deal.

Those types of racks can also be mounted to our Outboard Bike Mounts, but I like the stability of a fork mount, and taking the front wheel on and off takes about 15 seconds, so it's no big deal.
You're right that it's quick and I used to do it when I had my car but I'm lazy.

What's everyone using for bike racks? I plan on getting a tailgate pad for when my friends and I ride downhill but when I'm riding solo I would like a super quick, simple rack that doesn't require me to take the front wheel off. I was thinking something like the thule insta-gater but if there's something cheaper that'd be great too.

Ha, I use a rug chucked over the tailgate ;)

taking the front wheel on and off takes about 15 seconds

I don't have QR on my front axle, feels bad... 6 + 8 mm to take the wheel off.

What's a good entry level bike? Mainly use it trail riding here in the Midwest, but maybe head to the mountains a couple times with it. I don't want to break the bank with this purchase though.

What's a good entry level bike? Mainly use it trail riding here in the Midwest, but maybe head to the mountains a couple times with it. I don't want to break the bank with this purchase though.

Heh, just like our trucks, it depends on usage. Anything full sus is going to be a pretty penny ($800 + for a decent one). Hardtails are more affordable, easier to maintain, great climbers, but are less fun on the downhill. I'm a heathen, I have a full rigid fatty and singlespeed, and yes, in the winter I ride in a flannel shirt, lol.

I'd say hit up your local bikeshop and try and pick up some year old model to save some coin.

Heh, just like our trucks, it depends on usage. Anything full sus is going to be a pretty penny ($800 + for a decent one). Hardtails are more affordable, easier to maintain, great climbers, but are less fun on the downhill. I'm a heathen, I have a full rigid fatty and singlespeed, and yes, in the winter I ride in a flannel shirt, lol.

I'd say hit up your local bikeshop and try and pick up some year old model to save some coin.
I don't know if I'd really need a full suspension setup for my first bike, especially being in the Midwest. Are there anythings to look for specifically? Or to avoid?

I don't know if I'd really need a full suspension setup for my first bike, especially being in the Midwest. Are there anythings to look for specifically? Or to avoid?

Personally, I'd avoid coil sprung suspension forks. I don't think a decent local bike shop would carry anything that didn't have f/r disk brakes, they don't NEED to be hydraulic. Honeslly, for a beginner bike, stick to the common brands (Trek/Specialized/Giant/Diamondback) and they should treat you really well.

Most important is fit. I'm only 5'7" and I dislike riding 29ers, I have 27.5 and love it. That being said, if you're tall af, 29ers are fabulous for flat riding. An ill fit bike can be an uncomfortable ride.

Personally, I'd avoid coil sprung suspension forks. I don't think a decent local bike shop would carry anything that didn't have f/r disk brakes, they don't NEED to be hydraulic. Honeslly, for a beginner bike, stick to the common brands (Trek/Specialized/Giant/Diamondback) and they should treat you really well.

Most important is fit. I'm only 5'7" and I dislike riding 29ers, I have 27.5 and love it. That being said, if you're tall af, 29ers are fabulous for flat riding. An ill fit bike can be an uncomfortable ride.
Would the Diamondback Hook be a good starter bike?

Would the Diamondback Hook be a good starter bike?

The parts look great for a first bike, and realistically you can grow on a specific frame by upgrading parts. My personal concern for this bike would be the drivetrain, 1x8 only. It may be ok if you're riding majority flat, but you're either giving up top speed or climbing ability. I personally like the simplicity of 1x, but because just ripped the big ring off a 2x10 I'm usually limited in speed by gravity, which is fine by me.

A Specialized Pitch Sport is comparable in parts, and gives you a 3x front ring for 24 total: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-pitch-sport/p/154415?color=236263-154415

The parts look great for a first bike, and realistically you can grow on a specific frame by upgrading parts. My personal concern for this bike would be the drivetrain, 1x8 only. It may be ok if you're riding majority flat, but you're either giving up top speed or climbing ability. I personally like the simplicity of 1x, but because just ripped the big ring off a 2x10 I'm usually limited in speed by gravity, which is fine by me.

A Specialized Pitch Sport is comparable in parts, and gives you a 3x front ring for 24 total: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-pitch-sport/p/154415?color=236263-154415

I am in the market for a new bike. Have a Fuji hardtail thats a 5-6 years old now. Any recommendations for my first full suspension bike? Don’t want to spend a ton because we don’t have much for trails where I’m at.

I am in the market for a new bike. Have a Fuji hardtail thats a 5-6 years old now. Any recommendations for my first full suspension bike? Don’t want to spend a ton because we don’t have much for trails where I’m at.

Yeah man, recommendations would be largely the same regarding parts. Fit is important, of course, then you're looking at usage and travel again. Are you gonna be riding mostly XC style flow trails with some rough stuff, or are you doing climbing/dh on rocky mountain trails, etc. Most manufacturers split their bikes into XC/Trail/Enduro categories, with XC having the least amount of suspension travel and lighter weight components, Trail being longer travel to absorb the nasty stuff better at the expense of weight, to Enduro which tries to bring all of it together.

Yeah man, recommendations would be largely the same regarding parts. Fit is important, of course, then you're looking at usage and travel again. Are you gonna be riding mostly XC style flow trails with some rough stuff, or are you doing climbing/dh on rocky mountain trails, etc. Most manufacturers split their bikes into XC/Trail/Enduro categories, with XC having the least amount of suspension travel and lighter weight components, Trail being longer travel to absorb the nasty stuff better at the expense of weight, to Enduro which tries to bring all of it together.

I live in ND, it’s mostly flat trails here. We have a couple bike shops around but they’re not very knowledgeable from what I’ve heard.

I live in ND, it’s mostly flat trails here. We have a couple bike shops around but they’re not very knowledgeable from what I’ve heard.

Oooooh, ND. My MIL lives in Bowdon, never been, no desire honestly :p.

If you're mechanically inclined, as a good majority are here, you can skip the bike shop and save a bunch of money on direct to consumer. The two that come to mind are Diamondback and Commencal. I've always been interested in trying Commencal, cause you get a lot of bike for the money. I've heard mostly good things about their all mountain bike: https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-am-27-origin-c2x26760982 .

I actually know a dude that rides the DB Atroz 3: https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/atroz3
He's not nice to it at all, and it so far seems to have held up pretty well. The single pivot linkages are subjectively easier to maintain than your standard double as well.

I mean, take this all with a grain of salt, cause when I ride full sus, I just ride my wife's bike, lol.

If you're mechanically inclined, as a good majority are here, you can skip the bike shop and save a bunch of money on direct to consumer. The two that come to mind are Diamondback and Commencal. I've always been interested in trying Commencal, cause you get a lot of bike for the money. I've heard mostly good things about their all mountain bike: https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-am-27-origin-c2x26760982 .

I actually know a dude that rides the DB Atroz 3: https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/atroz3
He's not nice to it at all, and it so far seems to have held up pretty well. The single pivot linkages are subjectively easier to maintain than your standard double as well.

I mean, take this all with a grain of salt, cause when I ride full sus, I just ride my wife's bike, lol.

Wow that DB looks like a sweet rig. They both do ?

Diamond back supposedly has some anniversary sale tomorrow ?

Diamondback sale is amazing! Just got 20% off the Hook

Diamondback sale is amazing! Just got 20% off the Hook

Guess I should’ve gotten my ass out of bed before 7 am! The bike I wanted is now out of stock. Been eyeballing that quicksand release 3 though ?

Guess I should’ve gotten my ass out of bed before 7 am! The bike I wanted is now out of stock. Been eyeballing that quicksand release 3 though ?
I ordered mine at 3:45 CDT, didn't mean to get up early but just woke up and thought I'd check.

Just got it and assembled it. It's raining and have to wait until I'm "off" work to take it for a ride. I really like how it looks and feels, plus it was easy to assemble. Granted there is no instructions but they have a decent video on the basics. It took me 20-30 minutes and I've never assembled a bike. It only took two days to get here, from Ohio to Iowa, so I was very happy with that.

Back