• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Marlin Crawler Tacobox for 3rd gens

Axle regear does not achieve the same thing. I want that crawl ratio. I like the current driveability in non technical situations and road manners. We have a 2nd Gen 4dr 6speed TRD OR in the training fleet. It has been used and abused by students and I have driven it extensively in tight Eastern woods. Truly, the only thing it has really lacked is the ability to go slow enough. For my purposes, that TacoBox was the key. My truck has been built around that capability.
The crawl ratio does kinda suck on these things but if you stick to a 32.5” tire, 5.29s will change your ratio. It won’t be a tacobox but it’ll help, especially if your a MT.
It just doesn’t seem like a dealbreaker to me, at least not enough to get rid of the truck. Personally, I think without SAS and a bobbed bed a taco box is awesome to have but not necessary. Honestly you’ll get far without the need of a tacobox. Just look at @WarFabArmor that things a beast, no taco box, and a relatively simple build.

I think if you find your self on a trail that truly needs it you’ll be in jeep territory and you’ll need way more than a better crawl ratio. Don’t sell your truck man!! Enjoy it. Or what about an atlas transfer case? Maybe shoot them an email?

The crawl ratio does kinda suck on these things but if you stick to a 32.5” tire, 5.29s will change your ratio. It won’t be a tacobox but it’ll help, especially if your a MT.
It just doesn’t seem like a dealbreaker to me, at least not enough to get rid of the truck. Personally, I think without SAS and a bobbed bed a taco box is awesome to have but not necessary. Honestly you’ll get far without the need of a tacobox. Just look at @WarFabArmor that things a beast, no taco box, and a relatively simple build.

I think if you find your self on a trail that truly needs it you’ll be in jeep territory and you’ll need way more than a better crawl ratio. Don’t sell your truck man!! Enjoy it. Or what about an atlas transfer case? Maybe shoot them an email?
Agreed. That's a bit of my point. The breakover and approach/departure kills the truck before crawl ratio. Now back east minimizing wheel spin and bouncing will help with breakage, but again, other parts are the limiting factor.
I love the taco box, may end up with one, but so many other mods help the truck more, imo.

To each his own. I have some experience with this stuff and know what I want.
Nothing wrong with that. I think your reasons for it and the counterpoints Mike has are valid in their own rights and like you said, it depends on the driver which side of the spectrum they’re on. Both of you make good points and I’d say anyone considering a Marlin box should consider both opinions. You know you’ll have your use for it so definitely go for it.

I really need to adventure out and find some rocks to actually put this tacobox to the test!

72B784BD-E65C-4E44-8D39-0097930CAB60.jpeg

Tidying up.
Awesome! How do you like it with the 6MT? any leaking at all or was Marlin able to fix that issue? I want one now, but was told by a friend that Marlin no longer makes the tacobox. Also not seeing the tacobox listed on their site anymore. Is this true?

Awesome! How do you like it with the 6MT? any leaking at all or was Marlin able to fix that issue? I want one now, but was told by a friend that Marlin no longer makes the tacobox. Also not seeing the tacobox listed on their site anymore. Is this true?
I love it. No leaking at all.
I don't think they were selling too many, so who knows?
Love the 4.7:1 low range. I wish the stock low was this ratio. Double low is crazy slow. I use the Marlin low more than stock, just wish I could use my rear locker without using stock low.

Back