Marlin Crawler Tacobox for 3rd gens

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Tacomadad18

T3G Level: Onyx
T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
So, even with the automatic, there are/were oil level issues? Maybe the new seal and output shaft revisions will solve this.

The BIG question is how does she do off road now?

Yes, there is a known issue....now lol. The seal and output doesn’t have anything to do with this leak. The problem was, the tacobox was so full of fluid, it was coming out of the shifter. 1 gallon of fluid had no where to go and it forced its self out of the only hole available, the shifter. Since draining and refilling with only 3quarts I have noticed no leaks anymore, so that’s good.

Last time I was out it was muddy and pouring rain. I did not get a chance to test it out. I am however, planning on going this weekend to give it a workout ??

TrainerTed61

T3G Level: Bronze
T3G Supporter
First Name
Ted
T3G Member
#2,010
My recent updates from Marlin:
Response to inquiry on 6 August 2019
"Ted,
Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA on when that one will be available. The coupler and adapter plate have been sent off to be machined, then once those get back to us we are going to test fitment and make sure everything functions properly, then after that we will have it released for production. If you check back in about 12 weeks we should have a better ETA for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle"

Response to inquiry on 18 November 2019
"Ted,
Unfortunately, no news yet regarding the 6-speed Tacobox, and I do not have an ETA. I thought a couple months out would be enough time at first. If you keep checking our website or the forum, that is where the latest information will be once we have made progress towards releasing that crawl box for production. I apologize for the inconvenience, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle"

I am considering selling my Tacoma at this point. I had a build planned. The TacoBox was the heart of it. Thinking of moving in another direction since this one has little chance of coming to fruition, apparently. Truck is sitting. I didn't buy it to be a mall crawler, dirt road cruiser. My Subaru Crosstrek is better at all of those things. At this point the Taco is WAY overbuilt for it's actual capability. It needs that crawl box to be what I need it to be. I have access to older Hiluxes with diesels; might make a move.

WarFabArmor

T3G Level: Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#2,711
"Ted,
Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA on when that one will be available. The coupler and adapter plate have been sent off to be machined, then once those get back to us we are going to test fitment and make sure everything functions properly, then after that we will have it released for production. If you check back in about 12 weeks we should have a better ETA for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle"

"Ted,
Unfortunately, no news yet regarding the 6-speed Tacobox, and I do not have an ETA. I thought a couple months out would be enough time at first. If you keep checking our website or the forum, that is where the latest information will be once we have made progress towards releasing that crawl box for production. I apologize for the inconvenience, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle"

I am considering selling my Tacoma at this point. I had a build planned. The TacoBox was the heart of it. Thinking of moving in another direction since this one has little chance of coming to fruition, apparently. Truck is sitting. I didn't buy it to be a mall crawler, dirt road cruiser. My Subaru Crosstrek is better at all of those things. At this point the Taco is WAY overbuilt for it's actual capability. It needs that crawl box to be what I need it to be. I have access to older Hiluxes with diesels; might make a move.
While I get the great assistance a crawl box provides, especially in a MT, what about the build and what it needs to do requires it to move forward? I can't think of a situation where a crawl box is required to do anything that the body and overall dimensions of the truck wouldn't be a hindrance.
ETA:
looked at your thread about your truck. Looks like a lot of weight added, larger tires, and no axle gears or traction aids. I have a hard time believing a set of 5.29s on a 32.5" tall tire isnt going to be deep enough gearing. Maybe while you wait for the box, a set of diff gears might suit you well.

Last edited:

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
"Ted,
Thank you,
Kyle"

"Ted,
Thank you,
Kyle"

That’s disappointing to hear. I was very impatient with them at first then once received I was realizing I should have been patient. If it does not work out for you, can you possibly do an atlas? That would give you front dig and lower ratios.

TrainerTed61

T3G Supporter
First Name
Ted
T3G Member
#2,010
Axle regear does not achieve the same thing. I want that crawl ratio. I like the current driveability in non technical situations and road manners. We have a 2nd Gen 4dr 6speed TRD OR in the training fleet. It has been used and abused by students and I have driven it extensively in tight Eastern woods. Truly, the only thing it has really lacked is the ability to go slow enough. For my purposes, that TacoBox was the key. My truck has been built around that capability.

WarFabArmor

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#2,711
Axle regear does not achieve the same thing. I want that crawl ratio. I like the current driveability in non technical situations and road manners. We have a 2nd Gen 4dr 6speed TRD OR in the training fleet. It has been used and abused by students and I have driven it extensively in tight Eastern woods. Truly, the only thing it has really lacked is the ability to go slow enough. For my purposes, that TacoBox was the key. My truck has been built around that capability.
CR = trans gear x tcase gear x diff gear
Diff gearing directly changes crawl ratio. ?‍♂️

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
I have not done a single thing to my truck yet, and after watching some of the videos I absolutely need it. Look forward to you'r install!
You ever end up installing one?

Ericz34

First Name
Eric
T3G Member
#2,883
The crawl ratio does kinda suck on these things but if you stick to a 32.5” tire, 5.29s will change your ratio. It won’t be a tacobox but it’ll help, especially if your a MT.
It just doesn’t seem like a dealbreaker to me, at least not enough to get rid of the truck. Personally, I think without SAS and a bobbed bed a taco box is awesome to have but not necessary. Honestly you’ll get far without the need of a tacobox. Just look at WarFabArmor that things a beast, no taco box, and a relatively simple build.

I think if you find your self on a trail that truly needs it you’ll be in jeep territory and you’ll need way more than a better crawl ratio. Don’t sell your truck man!! Enjoy it. Or what about an atlas transfer case? Maybe shoot them an email?

WarFabArmor

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#2,711
The crawl ratio does kinda suck on these things but if you stick to a 32.5” tire, 5.29s will change your ratio. It won’t be a tacobox but it’ll help, especially if your a MT.
It just doesn’t seem like a dealbreaker to me, at least not enough to get rid of the truck. Personally, I think without SAS and a bobbed bed a taco box is awesome to have but not necessary. Honestly you’ll get far without the need of a tacobox. Just look at WarFabArmor that things a beast, no taco box, and a relatively simple build.

I think if you find your self on a trail that truly needs it you’ll be in jeep territory and you’ll need way more than a better crawl ratio. Don’t sell your truck man!! Enjoy it. Or what about an atlas transfer case? Maybe shoot them an email?
Agreed. That's a bit of my point. The breakover and approach/departure kills the truck before crawl ratio. Now back east minimizing wheel spin and bouncing will help with breakage, but again, other parts are the limiting factor.
I love the taco box, may end up with one, but so many other mods help the truck more, imo.

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
To each his own. I have some experience with this stuff and know what I want.
Nothing wrong with that. I think your reasons for it and the counterpoints Mike has are valid in their own rights and like you said, it depends on the driver which side of the spectrum they’re on. Both of you make good points and I’d say anyone considering a Marlin box should consider both opinions. You know you’ll have your use for it so definitely go for it.

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
I really need to adventure out and find some rocks to actually put this tacobox to the test!

72B784BD-E65C-4E44-8D39-0097930CAB60.jpeg

Top Bottom