• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Manual Transmission Issues??

Kevin_kl

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the forum and thought I’d ask around if anyone is experiencing issues with their manual transmission? I own an O/R with just over a thousand miles on it. It seems to make a loud clanking noise when shifting in the lower gears, with the noise most prevalent when shifting into 3rd. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the “characteristics” of the truck. Since picking it up I have noticed that the clutch is starting to feel spongy so I feel like there is more to the issue. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a 2018 Sport MT with around 15K miles on it. Many folks have the opinion that this truck shifts a bit differently than other MTs, and the Accumulator Delete mod is a popular one for that reason. It just took me some time to get used to it but I love it at this point.

However, I definitely do not have the symptoms you're describing, and I would look for a second opinion. The last thing you want is to fuck up any part of the transmission on this new of a car. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, however if the pedal is starting to feel 'spongy' then it would probably be wise to check out the clutch master cylinder. Not sure if that's a separate issue or related to the shifting clank noise. You used the word 'clank'. Is the word 'grinding' also accurate?

Upvote 0
No it doesn’t grind when I shift. It’s more of a slamming noise. It happens sometimes when I push the clutch in and also during lower gear shifts. Almost like I am slamming the truck into gear even though I am shifting normally.

Upvote 0
I would highly recommend seeking a second opinion. Did you have the dealership drive it?

Upvote 0
Yes we went on a drive. The person that rode with me said he could hear what I am talking about. However it was the shop foreman that said it is normal. I made another appointment with the dealership.

Upvote 0
I've had 3 of the new gen, all with the manual transmission. None made any odd noises or had any clutch issues. They shift quietly even without the clutch. My other vehicle is a Honda with a manual so the standard is pretty high for ease and smoothness of operation. I would try another dealership if possible, or ask your current one to drive your truck and another new one back to back, for comparison's sake. If it's "normal", they will both be the same...
You could remind them that it's not a "characteristic" you would have purchased had it been like that when you test drove it.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the info! I will post an update after I go the the dealership again.

Upvote 0
Update: I went back to the dealership and had them take another look with me. They still said the vehicle is operating under normal conditions so no fix. I’ll monitor it and continue to do research.

Upvote 0
Update: I went back to the dealership and had them take another look with me. They still said the vehicle is operating under normal conditions so no fix. I’ll monitor it and continue to do research.

Sorry for the disappointing issue, but it could be something besides the transmission. Maybe the tranny mount bolts are loose or something else like the leaf spring eye bolts (89 lb-ft), and Toyota has a ludicrously low leaf spring u-bolt torque value like 37 lb-ft, needs to be 80 lb-ft like a real truck. I would go through and torque stuff, checking torque is actually in car owners manuals.

Upvote 0
i've always noticed mine clanking. it's more noticeable driving offroad. i always thought it's another reason why the shifter shakes so much.

Upvote 0
New to the forum as of today.

I realize this isn't experience from a Tacoma, but it's similar. Coming from a 2014 Jeep JKUR with a 6MT and a 4.10 gear ratio, I know what you're talking about. I experienced similar clunking/slamming the first time I drove it off the lot and still experience it today. I found that I had to be very deliberate in my shifts (i.e. not being lazy while shifting or with the clutch) and in some ways had to learn how to drive the transmission, not the vehicle. It is finicky and it was more difficult to drive than any other manual transmission I have driven. My coworker has an almost identical jeep and said the same about his transmission. It's a pretty common characteristic of the MT Rubicons.

Generally, it seems to be how these transmissions are, particularly with the gear ratio and engine - it has a lot of low end torque. However, I've had no transmission problems with my Jeep for the past 6 years.

I have not experienced the clutch feeling spongy in my Jeep.

I'm waiting on a 2020 TRD OR MT. Covid-19 put a damper on that. Hope to pick it up in the next month or two.

Upvote 0
Only experience I have is shifter getting stuck randomly but has not happened in few months mind you only noticed it on longer drives would have to force to get out of gear I did chalk it up to break in dealer could never replicate.

Upvote 0
A little update:

I picked up my 2020 TRD OR MT about two weeks ago (May 30th) and have about 700 miles on it now. I have noticed that it does sound/feel a bit clunky when shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, but mostly 2nd to 3rd as @Kevin_kl pointed pointed out. For me, this is a result of how I'm driving rather than something with the truck. If I take my time to let off the gas, put in the clutch, shift, let off the clutch, and give it some gas, all is good. However, if I'm driving it like a race car and hastily shifting/clutching then I hear/feel the clunk. Same thing I experienced in my MT Jeep Wrangler.

I have not experienced a spongy clutch.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue and same response from dealerships on my 2018 TRD OR. Now I'm at 30k miles and need a clutch replacement, which the dealership also will not cover because it's outside of warranty.

I recently drove my buddy's 2019 TRD OR MT and his clutch feels smoother and more consistent than mine ever did - and definitely no clunks.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a TRD OR MT and I am having exactly the same problem as the OP, "clank" noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (downshifting from 4th to 3rd does not make the noise). I took to the dealership back with just 50 miles on it and they are saying that is not a problem and it is "normal". I'll appreciate any suggestions or advice.

One thing that I noticed is if I double clutch it, the "clank" does not happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mine doesn't have any issues like you're presenting. I also don't really slam into third. I do occasionally slam into second if I'm driving very spirited like, but it doesn't feel or sound horrible.

Upvote 0
I have 2020 Sport MT and experienced the same shifting issues from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 grinding etc. Toyota replaced the transmission with around 5000 miles. They installed a new transmission and the problem still exists and now the clutch is sticking but the shifting is not nearly as bad. It is back with Toyota as I type hope they figure it out maybe this is just how these transmission shift which in my opinion is trash. If they shifted like 4-6 I would love it

Upvote 0
experiencing the same as OP. My 2020 OR makes more a clunking noise rather than a grind from shifting to1-3. Shifting from 4-6 is smooth. My clutch pedal started squeaking around 5k miles and they have "re-greased" twice already and the sound is starting to come back again. currently at 19.5K miles. dealership told me these noises/feels are normal.

Upvote 0
I'm paying attention as my clutch has the plasticy squeek that I need to get replaced but I don't have any clunking/grining issues (yet).

(FWIW, there's a TSB out there on the clutch for 2018/19 models, presuming your still under warranty. Might be worth those w/2020+ models to ask: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164907-9999.pdf)

Upvote 0
I drive a 2016 with the manual transmission and I have 140000 miles on the truck. what you are describing is not normal conditions. i have not experienced anything like this since buying the truck

Upvote 0
I'm paying attention as my clutch has the plasticy squeek that I need to get replaced but I don't have any clunking/grining issues (yet).

(FWIW, there's a TSB out there on the clutch for 2018/19 models, presuming your still under warranty. Might be worth those w/2020+ models to ask: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164907-9999.pdf)
Thank you so much! I have taken in my truck twice already regarding this issue and all they did both times was slap a bunch of grease on it and never replace anything. The grease only stops the squeaking for a few months. I noticed it only goes up to 2019, i hope they cover my 2020. it’s the same exact truck lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just traded a 2019 SPORT, that I put 50k miles on and I never experienced any of the issues being described. My pedal made some squeaking noise once in a while, but never affected the operation. I don't beat on my vehicles, but I don't baby them either. I now have a 2022 OR and have not heard anything unusual on this one(yet). I will definitely pay closer attention to it now, and post if anything changes over time. I feel the pain of those that have been told this is "normal" or expected. If that were the case...they all should do it, which by reading the comments here, they all don't do it. I hope those having these issues can find some resolution.

Upvote 0
Since the very cold weather has set in, I have noticed a prominent squeak/squeal while working the clutch for the first 15 minutes or so from a cold start. I have also noticed the actuation of the clutch pedal is extremely slow and almost sticks to the "in" position. It has a slight delay and makes the first several starts from a dead stop (stop signs in the neighborhood) in first gear very uncomfortable.

Upvote 0
The clutch pedal delay coming off the floor is normal when the mercury dips. living in NEPA my entire life........this happens a few times every winter. Both of my Tacomas experienced this as well as Fords, Chevy's and Dodges that I have had in the past. Most(...or all) newer vehicles with manual transmissions have hydraulic clutches. They operate with a master cylinder pumping brake fluid to supply pressure to disengage the clutch from the engine. When you push in the clutch pedal, it makes fluid flow from a master cylinder to the slave cylinder, which moves the pressure plate, allowing the you to shift/change gears. It is normal for them to be sluggish when the weather gets below a certain temperature, because the fluid is thicker. This may be causing your squeal/squeak if the pressure plate is not fully engaged to the clutch. The best fix for this is to give it a little extra time warming up, before you pull out. Once the fluid gets a little warmed up......everything flows as it should.

Upvote 0
The clutch pedal delay coming off the floor is normal when the mercury dips. living in NEPA my entire life........this happens a few times every winter. Both of my Tacomas experienced this as well as Fords, Chevy's and Dodges that I have had in the past. Most(...or all) newer vehicles with manual transmissions have hydraulic clutches. They operate with a master cylinder pumping brake fluid to supply pressure to disengage the clutch from the engine. When you push in the clutch pedal, it makes fluid flow from a master cylinder to the slave cylinder, which moves the pressure plate, allowing the you to shift/change gears. It is normal for them to be sluggish when the weather gets below a certain temperature, because the fluid is thicker. This may be causing your squeal/squeak if the pressure plate is not fully engaged to the clutch. The best fix for this is to give it a little extra time warming up, before you pull out. Once the fluid gets a little warmed up......everything flows as it should.
I get that, I'm over here in Central PA. I normally let the truck warm up and now I pump the pedal about 10 times or so before I leave the driveway. I've never had a clutch act this way before. I've driven many manual vehicles so it's just kind of odd.

Upvote 0
If it is acting up after you have it warmed up, then yes that is strange. I've had the pedal literally stay on the floor for a second, when I lifted my foot off, but it always got better after a few miles, or so once it warmed up.

Upvote 0
I guess I'll go ahead and chime in on this.

I have a 2021 OR w/ MT. At first I was also somewhat concerned with the way these manual transmission trucks made "irregular" noises when shifting either up or down through the gears. Clanking, clunking, etc. I have had my truck for almost a year now, and have just over 10k miles on it. The transmission is nothing like the factory one in my 94 SR5 4x4, but I am getting more and more used to it. The clunking noises are either getting fainter, or I'm just not noticing them as much with added miles. Hopefully this is just a part of the long "break-in" period for these trucks.

On another note though, my truck is currently in the shop for a warranty issue with a leaking coolant line that goes somewhere around the back of the engine. And of course it is not a part that they have in their warehouse, but it has to come from overseas evidently. Hopefully they get it fixed pretty quick, as the Chevy Colorado I am using as a rental is driving me nuts!

Upvote 0
I have a 20’ TRD OR MT as well. I have just a quick question, but at what RPMs are you getting your truck up to before you shift in those low gears? In my experience with this truck, if I get it up to ~2.8k-3.1k then shift. I don’t experience those clunking issues. Now if I try to shift like I was driving a race car, I will experience those noises. Other than that the truck in my opinion runs fairly smooth.

Upvote 0
I have a 20’ TRD OR MT as well. I have just a quick question, but at what RPMs are you getting your truck up to before you shift in those low gears? In my experience with this truck, if I get it up to ~2.8k-3.1k then shift. I don’t experience those clunking issues. Now if I try to shift like I was driving a race car, I will experience those noises. Other than that the truck in my opinion runs fairly smooth.
My experience points to the same.

My shift points are around 3k +/-200 RPM for typical daily driving. Sometimes a bit lower going from 1st to 2nd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back