• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Manual Transmission Issues??

Kevin_kl

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the forum and thought I’d ask around if anyone is experiencing issues with their manual transmission? I own an O/R with just over a thousand miles on it. It seems to make a loud clanking noise when shifting in the lower gears, with the noise most prevalent when shifting into 3rd. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the “characteristics” of the truck. Since picking it up I have noticed that the clutch is starting to feel spongy so I feel like there is more to the issue. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello! I am new to the forum and thought I’d ask around if anyone is experiencing issues with their manual transmission? I own an O/R with just over a thousand miles on it. It seems to make a loud clanking noise when shifting in the lower gears, with the noise most prevalent when shifting into 3rd. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the “characteristics” of the truck. Since picking it up I have noticed that the clutch is starting to feel spongy so I feel like there is more to the issue. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Toyota told me the same thing.. Its normal.. I complain everytime I take it in. So far no clutch issues but you only hear the noise when shifting the lower gears. I have never had any manual transmissions make this type of noise.

Upvote 0
I have recently purchased my 2022 TRD 6 spd Manual V6. Mine also occasionally has a noticeable clunk when shifting into 3rd. It doesn't sound right. I have also noticed the very flexible drive train. Seems to be characteristic of the model. I usually shift just below 3k rpm. Is this optimal? I do not run the truck hard.

Upvote 0
3K is the sweet spot for shifting, I have found that you really need to rpm match when shifting to feel like butter.
Its a truck!
When stopping at lights just go to neutral and when up shifting dont shift short.
Here is a good video from a Toyota mechanic,.... remember its a truck not a Supra or MX6.

The first year of the Tacoma Manual (MT)
Source: https://youtu.be/qbCAEscrJ8E?t=740

Source: https://youtu.be/a7u0Pd4-HRU

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mine is the same. I noticed right off that the transmission sounded clunky but mine has 115k miles on it and I have not had any issues with anything so far

Upvote 0
I had the same issue and same response from dealerships on my 2018 TRD OR. Now I'm at 30k miles and need a clutch replacement, which the dealership also will not cover because it's outside of warranty.

I recently drove my buddy's 2019 TRD OR MT and his clutch feels smoother and more consistent than mine ever did - and definitely no clunks.
I have a 2022 tacoma OR MT. I noticed pretty quickly that the clutch seemed weak af, then at around 500 miles I started having trouble getting in to 1st, 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. At 10k miles, I noticed the clutch pedal was slow to return at the top of its action, then a few days later in freezing temps, it was slow to return through its entire action. It has started grinding gears and being generally rough to shift 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
What I found out is that toyota added an accumulator upstream from the slave cylinder and that this device is very likely the cause of almost every shifting and clutch issue that exists. Its at Toyota right now and when I get it back I will delete the accumulator. I'd suggest the same for everyone.

Upvote 0
I have a 2022,
The accumulator if used correctly is just fine.
You cannot expect it to "dump" like the older style non- accumulator systems.

I have had a few clutch transmissions in my day, this is the first "accu" I have owned.
At first, I thought it was a typical system and had issues for the first few miles shifting like described, and yes you will grind gears and hate it.

Now I can take off from a dead stop without even giving it gas and can speed match the up and down shifts as designed.
To each his own,... I get it,... but it has its purpose.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a TRD OR MT and I am having exactly the same problem as the OP, "clank" noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (downshifting from 4th to 3rd does not make the noise). I took to the dealership back with just 50 miles on it and they are saying that is not a problem and it is "normal". I'll appreciate any suggestions or advice.

One thing that I noticed is if I double clutch it, the "clank" does not happen.
If it goes away with a double clutch, that's usually a throw out bearing symptom.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 Sport MT with around 15K miles on it. Many folks have the opinion that this truck shifts a bit differently than other MTs, and the Accumulator Delete mod is a popular one for that reason. It just took me some time to get used to it but I love it at this point.

However, I definitely do not have the symptoms you're describing, and I would look for a second opinion. The last thing you want is to fuck up any part of the transmission on this new of a car. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, however if the pedal is starting to feel 'spongy' then it would probably be wise to check out the clutch master cylinder. Not sure if that's a separate issue or related to the shifting clank noise. You used the word 'clank'. Is the word 'grinding' also accurate?
My manual is a 2019 with 33,600 on it and I haven’t experienced anything like you’re describing. I wish I could help (but not at the expense of having the same issue lol). Hope you find a solution!

Upvote 0
Most problems on record are from "speed shifting" or "jamming gears" manual transmissions have block rings / synchro's which are basically a pre-gear alignment brass rings that make shifting smoother.
If you force or shift while the clutch still has engagement, or the pressure plate is still applying force to the rotation you are going to wear these synchro's out and shifting will become a problem.

The Tacoma is not a sports car, and the transmission is not designed for speed shifting.
If you wanted that you bought the wrong vehicle,.... it is a truck.

The hydraulic fluid pressure accumulator in the system has a purpose that engineers designed.
Bypass it at your own risk, if you do you decide to make "self-engineering improvements" I would suggest you better shift with an educated application.

In some defense of the disaster that people have had,... if you had no idea that an accumulator was designed for the vehicle, and you do not know how to shift with it because you never used one.
Another bit of advice.
Don't jump in dark water without checking the waters depth or for unseen obstacles,
Manuals have a purpose and instructions are sometimes required.
Have a nice day!

Source: https://youtu.be/a7u0Pd4-HRU?t=404

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PSA do NOT use GL5 fluid in the manual transmission! Use GL4 only. GL 5 will ruin your syncros in the trans. $$$
Auto parts people are still telling people"GL5 replaced GL4" and that is WRONG.
Even the makers put "works in GL4 or GL5 transmissions" .......................GL4 is different than GL5
Most shops do not stock GL4 anymore because only 1-5% of vehicles use it.
YOU NEED GL4 if you have a manual.
Source: https://youtu.be/3le9ZT5HUlk

Upvote 0
I am coming from a 2019 Civic Si and a Mazda 3 Hatch, both manuals. This Tacoma Manual is the most challenging I have ever driven. I grew up driving a 1992 Talon TSI and 83 Honda Prelude in the past. My past week with the 3rd Gen 2023 Tacoma Sport has taught me to have the clutch pedal all the way down, shift the gears very slowly and don't force it when trying to go into a gear.
Is it me or does the truck shift better at 3K RPM? I am still in the break in phase, so I am trying to not rev the engine too high.

Since I can't feel the clutch as well as my Honda (who I believe makes the best Manuals), Do I need to rev this engine past 2k to get her going in first or just release the clutch slow then give it gas?

Upvote 0
I am coming from a 2019 Civic Si and a Mazda 3 Hatch, both manuals. This Tacoma Manual is the most challenging I have ever driven. I grew up driving a 1992 Talon TSI and 83 Honda Prelude in the past. My past week with the 3rd Gen 2023 Tacoma Sport has taught me to have the clutch pedal all the way down, shift the gears very slowly and don't force it when trying to go into a gear.
Is it me or does the truck shift better at 3K RPM? I am still in the break in phase, so I am trying to not rev the engine too high.

Since I can't feel the clutch as well as my Honda (who I believe makes the best Manuals), Do I need to rev this engine past 2k to get her going in first or just release the clutch slow then give it gas?
You can ease out the clutch from a dead stop with little rpm and then give it gas to rev up to 3K shift to 2nd.
Once you get use to not needing much gas to get started moving you will get the feel of the accumulator

I find the truck likes to shift smoother into the next gear at or above 3K for sure.
I broke mine in never staying at the same rpm long and never going over 3K for the first 1000 miles.

Yes the clutch likes to be fully depressed when shifting.
This transmission is not a speed box so slow and steady will give best results and a longer life.

Watch this entire video,.... he is a Toyota Technician

Upvote 0
You can ease out the clutch from a dead stop with little rpm and then give it gas to rev up to 3K shift to 2nd.
Once you get use to not needing much gas to get started moving you will get the feel of the accumulator

I find the truck likes to shift smoother into the next gear at or above 3K for sure.
I broke mine in never staying at the same rpm long and never going over 3K for the first 1000 miles.

Yes the clutch likes to be fully depressed when shifting.
This transmission is not a speed box so slow and steady will give best results and a longer life.

Watch this entire video,.... he is a Toyota Technician
Thanks Hawk, I do love this guy's channel. I watched a lot about his thoughts on the 3rd Gen Tacoma before I decided to sell my '19 Si and get something more practical.

Upvote 0
I have recently purchased my 2022 TRD 6 spd Manual V6. Mine also occasionally has a noticeable clunk when shifting into 3rd. It doesn't sound right. I have also noticed the very flexible drive train. Seems to be characteristic of the model. I usually shift just below 3k rpm. Is this optimal? I do not run the truck hard.
Do you ever hear a whistle type noise coming from the gearbox??

Upvote 0
Back