• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance Magnuson Supercharger/Forced induction release thread.

Ehhh snails need time to spool, although the ones that the truck would get would most likely be pretty small (comparatively). So turbos are great for the long runs and quick snaps.

SC is kinda right off the bat or all the time power.
Got it. I remember when Lite Brite SC'd their Jeep. I think they were saying something about it not working well at high altitude and it also not making a difference until you really hit the gas for steep climbs.

Got it. I remember when Lite Brite SC'd their Jeep. I think they were saying something about it not working well at high altitude and it also not making a difference until you really hit the gas for steep climbs.

Possibly, I could even be totally wrong. I’ve only had a handful of turboed cars. And I’m always in the same area so altitude never posed a problem.

The turbos from OV start at $5,799 for the non catted system. Make it a catted system like I would need here in CA and it is $6,099.

Ope, I thought I saw somewhere is was starting at 4500. MY BAD, fake news

It was a bit cheaper on the initial run but has since jumped in price. I don't think it was $4,500 cheap, but it was cheaper than $6k.

I went ahead and merged the two SC threads so we have a more complete dialogue on the different FI options.

Ehhh snails need time to spool, although the ones that the truck would get would most likely be pretty small (comparatively). So turbos are great for the long runs and quick snaps.

SC is kinda right off the bat or all the time power.
There will be little to no lag. Properly sized turbos, combined with the newest technologies and correct tuning. Mat said there is basically no waiting for spooling. Full TQ in the ~2,000’s RPM.

There will be little to no lag. Properly sized turbos, combined with the newest technologies and correct tuning. Mat said there is basically no waiting for spooling. Full TQ in the ~2,000’s RPM.

That’s killer. Virtually no turbo lag is crazy.

See it's stuff like that that makes me want the turbos. The only thing holding me back is CARB.

When you think of low end TQ, superchargers were king. But now turbos have came a long way and can rival them down low. No parasitic loss, etc. I don’t want to turn this into a SC VS TT. The Magnuson kit is well built. It(will have) CARB EO#, and a hellava lot easier to install. My only gripe is the gains for dollar. Also, it doesn’t have that roots whine that everyone has come to love with SC’s.

When you think of low end TQ, superchargers were king. But now turbos have came a long way and can rival them down low. No parasitic loss, etc. I don’t want to turn this into a SC VS TT. The Magnuson kit is well built. It(will have) CARB EO#, and a hellava lot easier to install. My only gripe is the gains for dollar. Also, it doesn’t have that roots whine that everyone has come to love with SC’s.

Not a VS thread at all, but it's totally fine to discuss the finer points of the differences between the two. And necessary to do so.

I agree that there is pros and cons of both systems. Out of the box I think the OVTT kit has the win for power, but I think once Magnuson gets the tuning through VF down I think they'll get to a solid product. It's just the way it worked out that they are a bit more behind on the curve then they normally would be.

Forced Induction

First kits are just now delivering to customers based on the arrival of their added on options. So we should she more FI trucks running around real soon.
As a total newbie and inexperienced in auto mechanics I'd like your thoughts on this; I love the idea of forced air induction for my Taco I'm just concerned about wear and tear. If I do everything the right way, including a reputable installer, what risks do I run as far as possibly causing damage or reducing the tucks mechanics and longevity. My dealer's accessory guy says "NO WAY!" "Don't do forced air induction as it will cause you a lot of problems."

What say you?

As a total newbie and inexperienced in auto mechanics I'd like your thoughts on this; I love the idea of forced air induction for my Taco I'm just concerned about wear and tear. If I do everything the right way, including a reputable installer, what risks do I run as far as possibly causing damage or reducing the tucks mechanics and longevity. My dealer's accessory guy says "NO WAY!" "Don't do forced air induction as it will cause you a lot of problems."

What say you?

Well, of course the dealer is against it, however Magnuson is actually the company that designed and built the superchargers for use under the TRD name on the first and second gen Tacomas and the current 5.7L Tundra. They were sold at Toyota dealerships and held a complete factory warranty. So I would gander that Magnuson knows a thing or two about maintaining reliability for longevity. Many of those supercharged trucks are still running around at over 200k miles with minimal maintenance and issues.

Sure the charger will of course put a bit more stress and wear on the motor and drivetrain, but I am willing to guess it is not enough to really make much of a difference in the longevity of the truck. No one knows for sure obviously as the 3rd Gen has the new 3.5 L motor, but I myself am pretty confident. Toyota makes a pretty stout product that I expect to live a long life and the Magnuson charger is running a low enough boost and modest gains that I don't believe it is seriously stressing the motor much.

Well, of course the dealer is against it, however Magnuson is actually the company that designed and built the superchargers for use under the TRD name on the first and second gen Tacomas and the current 5.7L Tundra. They were sold at Toyota dealerships and held a complete factory warranty. So I would gander that Magnuson knows a thing or two about maintaining reliability for longevity. Many of those supercharged trucks are still running around at over 200k miles with minimal maintenance and issues.

Sure the charger will of course put a bit more stress and wear on the motor and drivetrain, but I am willing to guess it is not enough to really make much of a difference in the longevity of the truck. No one knows for sure obviously as the 3rd Gen has the new 3.5 L motor, but I myself am pretty confident. Toyota makes a pretty stout product that I expect to live a long life and the Magnuson charger is running a low enough boost and modest gains that I don't believe it is seriously stressing the motor much.
Thanks for the explanation and insight.

Someone posted their dyno numbers the other day. While not mind blowing, I think the SC still has potential as I think the tuning is still very conservative.

1603472919471.png

I forgot to post in here after I installed my supercharger. I’ve had it on for about 1000miles now. I love every second of it. The ECU has learned and is much better than when I filmed this video.

I forgot to post in here after I installed my supercharger. I’ve had it on for about 1000miles now. I love every second of it. The ECU has learned and is much better than when I filmed this video.

Time to make another video!!

Can you do a quick 30 sec 0-60 video?

No probably not. It will be the same as the 0-97 run at the end of the video. There’s hills everywhere I’m comfortable breaking the law down here. The performance is the same as in the video pretty much. My boost comes in quicker now because I removed the vacuum bypass restrictor, and drivability is better because of the ECU. That’s all.
The way I drive it gets about 0-60 in 7.0 vs 0-60 in around 8+ before (with my data recorder not eyeball and speedometer lol)

Back