• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance Magnuson Supercharger/Forced induction release thread.

I'll probably go forced induction sometime next year.... If we get to next year :)

I honestly think there's more on the table with the Magnuson. I'm thinking it is tuned conservatively as they haven't actually had a lot of time to tune it. Also the limiting factor is the fueling, so if fuel system upgrades come into play then there's no reason the boost couldn't be turned up.

I'll probably go forced induction sometime next year.... If we get to next year :)

I saw a meme the other day that mentioned how the Mad Max movies took place in 2021. That made me chuckle. Although I guess if you think about it and that we're to come to fruition, it would be even more so a reason to have a blower. 😂😂🤣🤣🤣

I've always wondered about that.

OVTune is obviously an expert on software turning. But how does that knowledge translate to making a physical mod for the truck? How does he also know how to engineer something like that? Or is he only designing the software and outsourcing the actually manufacturing?

No way I'd pay $6k+ for 60 horspower 😅 they definitely need a more aggressive tune if they wanna sell these.

Doesn't the OVTune alone net like 40HP?

No way I'd pay $6k+ for 60 horspower 😅 they definitely need a more aggressive tune if they wanna sell these.

I was thinking the same about the supercharger. It is such a complicated mod for 60HP.

Especially when you consider that we’re voluntarily driving slow, heavy trucks because that’s what our hobby is. We’re not really in need of going faster when doing what we built the trucks to do (going slow on trails).

I guess it helps the prerunner builds.

I've always wondered about that.

OVTune is obviously an expert on software turning. But how does that knowledge translate to making a physical mod for the truck? How does he also know how to engineer something like that? Or is he only designing the software and outsourcing the actually manufacturing?

Mat has a background in software tuning and he was building high horsepower turbo kits for Mazdas. He's done pretty much all the design and development for his kit in house. The mass production of items is being outsourced to other manufacturers.

Eh, maybe not that much. The power is more linear overall, but the biggest difference is the fact that the transmission is tuned to behave way better.

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/forced-induction

First kits are just now delivering to customers based on the arrival of their added on options. So we should she more FI trucks running around real soon.

but with turbskis they are pretty customizable. At least on most other vehicles. If your fuel and tuning support is there, the sky is the limit (if you feel the stock block can handle it) or is that all wrong with these motors?

The highest number I see on that page is 365 hp. What did TacomaBeast end up with again?

Baseline was 214hp/195tq and final was 275hp/231tq. 31% increase.

but with turbskis they are pretty customizable. At least on most other vehicles. If your fuel and tuning support is there, the sky is the limit (if you feel the stock block can handle it) or is that all wrong with these motors?

From everything I've read there's a lot of untapped potential in these trucks. I can't remember what separates them in differences to to turbo Lexus motors, but they are pretty close overall. The biggest limiting factor that I currently know is on the Tacoma is the fuel system. Eventual it will starve for fuel and under high load on boosted applications, that ain't good. OV has fuel system upgrades in place for those looking for more power. Whether those would be able to adapt to the Maggy SC kit I do not know. I think the biggest hurdle for the Mag kit is that they have not had a lot of time to tune the truck, and they are using a new tuning software(VFTuner). VF was only released a few months ago.

From everything I've read there's a lot of untapped potential in these trucks. I can't remember what separates them in differences to to turbo Lexus motors, but they are pretty close overall. The biggest limiting factor that I currently know is on the Tacoma is the fuel system. Eventual it will starve for fuel and under high load on boosted applications, that ain't good. OV has fuel system upgrades in place for those looking for more power. Whether those would be able to adapt to the Maggy SC kit I do not know. I think the biggest hurdle for the Mag kit is that they have not had a lot of time to tune the truck, and they are using a new tuning software(VFTuner). VF was only released a few months ago.

Yeah fuel would be the first on my mind.

I say we just LS swap these things and call it a day.

Yeah fuel would be the first on my mind.

I say we just LS swap these things and call it a day.

The thought has crossed my mind. I figure the fuel economy would be about the same anyhow.

The thought has crossed my mind. I figure the fuel economy would be about the same anyhow.

Exactly. Maybe once I get the sas done, id look into it. I know it’s an electronics nightmare though. So someone should produce a stand alone computer for them and make it easier!

Yeah but that is also on the top tier kit. The entry level kit catted system is measuring at 310-330hp measured at the hub and only a few hundred dollars less than Maggy. That said, the upgraded fuel system and Powermax version of OV's kit, yeah that is a beast.

Right? Imo a twin snail is far better than a SC. The different things you can do vs a SC.
SC only hits at higher speeds and snails help while crawling when needing to send it up something, yeah? Or do they both do that? Or did I say it backwards?

SC only hits at higher speeds and snails help while crawling when needing to send it up something, yeah? Or do they both do that? Or did I say it backwards?

Ehhh snails need time to spool, although the ones that the truck would get would most likely be pretty small (comparatively). So turbos are great for the long runs and quick snaps.

SC is kinda right off the bat or all the time power.

Back