• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance LT Suspension Capabilities

Huck89

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
It’s been several months since I’ve posted or even been on here, and I must say I’m not loving the new theme of the site lol. Anyhow, I’m wondering if anybody has any information on long travel suspension capabilities when it comes to torque and horsepower? I know this is a very vague question, and it varies from brand brand, but I’m wondering up to what general horsepower and torque range that some of these long travel suspensions can handle.

It’s been several months since I’ve posted or even been on here, and I must say I’m not loving the new theme of the site lol. Anyhow, I’m wondering if anybody has any information on long travel suspension capabilities when it comes to torque and horsepower? I know this is a very vague question, and it varies from brand brand, but I’m wondering up to what general horsepower and torque range that some of these long travel suspensions can handle.
It changed when it was updated, but if you check through the settings you can get the layout and stuff back to how it was before. Your Account > Preferences. Whenever I come to the site, it shows that new theme/layout. Once I'm logged in it switches over.

Is your Tacoma FI? What kind of driving are you doing to think of this? Lol.

I've never seen a suspension specify the power specs. You can bet they're designed to handle the stock power. The rest of the drive train is certainly not capable of a whole lot more. You can fit the front diff in your pocket.

It changed when it was updated, but if you check through the settings you can get the layout and stuff back to how it was before. Your Account > Preferences. Whenever I come to the site, it shows that new theme/layout. Once I'm logged in it switches over.

Is your Tacoma FI? What kind of driving are you doing to think of this? Lol.
Awesome, thanks for the tip! It is FI yes. Currently it’s my daily, but within the next 12 months I’m purchasing a new daily and the current Taco will become my project.

I've never seen a suspension specify the power specs. You can bet they're designed to handle the stock power. The rest of the drive train is certainly not capable of a whole lot more. You can fit the front diff in your pocket.
Haha true. I’ve seen some of the videos online with the LS swaps with long travels so I know they can handle up to (I’m guessing without doing any research) about 470ish?? I wonder how much more they can handle.

I'd imagine since it's a "truck" they would make the stock parts more "durable". Econo vehicles can handle a decent amount more power on stock parts. Suspensions and even clutch/flywheel.
So let's say factory is like 235whp. I'd guess whatever you're build is would be in the 300-330whp ballpark? I would think you'd be more than fine with anything from a decent company and never have to worry about the actual numbers. If it did happen, it would just be the standard luck and chance of failure. To push over the number to require something of higher quality would just mean a lot more money into performance. Guess it would really come down to your driving style and how hard you beat on it.

I've seen K24 motors boosted with everything else left stock handle 600whp+ daily driven. Only other thing swapped were injectors. Maybe eventually clutch/flywheel. So my take is you wouldn't have to worry about it. I don't even think these places would rate something like that for our trucks since it's only the 1% that would boost and push for power. Then you have your even vehicles. Complete custom builds. But they just overbuild one off parts and let it rip. So I think it would be hard to find ratings since real world testing isn't really done. Sort of a niche market since it would filter down even more for LT + Power. Since most will would be one or the other. I guess I'm just giving my reasoning on thing. But ultimately saying that the only real answer would just be speculated and it'll be a vague generalized %.

For reference, the old v8 4runners and lexus 470 460 have AWD because they're worried about drive train impact. My guess is if you have LT suspension and then you're boosting the engine for more power, you're also running 35's and hitting jumps. Because why else would you be doing all that? Expect axle and gear damage. unless you upgrade those too.

I'd imagine since it's a "truck" they would make the stock parts more "durable". Econo vehicles can handle a decent amount more power on stock parts. Suspensions and even clutch/flywheel.
So let's say factory is like 235whp. I'd guess whatever you're build is would be in the 300-330whp ballpark? I would think you'd be more than fine with anything from a decent company and never have to worry about the actual numbers. If it did happen, it would just be the standard luck and chance of failure. To push over the number to require something of higher quality would just mean a lot more money into performance. Guess it would really come down to your driving style and how hard you beat on it.

I've seen K24 motors boosted with everything else left stock handle 600whp+ daily driven. Only other thing swapped were injectors. Maybe eventually clutch/flywheel. So my take is you wouldn't have to worry about it. I don't even think these places would rate something like that for our trucks since it's only the 1% that would boost and push for power. Then you have your even vehicles. Complete custom builds. But they just overbuild one off parts and let it rip. So I think it would be hard to find ratings since real world testing isn't really done. Sort of a niche market since it would filter down even more for LT + Power. Since most will would be one or the other. I guess I'm just giving my reasoning on thing. But ultimately saying that the only real answer would just be speculated and it'll be a vague generalized %.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, that’s the hard part is finding any kind of information on this since it is such a small population of people who go the long travel route, and then even smaller for people who try to go long travel, and then add more power. I’m definitely not looking to haul anything crazy, maybe 7000 pounds max, but it would just be nice to have the ability to do the things I want such as jump and go fast but also take my rooftop tent out with my four wheeler, and do some camping and stuff like that.

Long travel isn't really limited by the power being produced by your truck. You could be in limp mode and get faced enough to hit a set of bumps fast enough to damage the suspension. The LT is more subject to the forces and loads placed on it while being battered than it is the power the truck can make. Yes the power can make you go faster, but that could be on a smooth road or a bumpy one. It's the loads subjected onto the suspension by the road that matter.

I think the suspension issues are negligible with the increased power. If you're going to have problems, it will be with the drivetrain (axle shafts, driveshafts, transmission, transfer case, differential gears, etc.). The suspension stress comes from the forces during suspension cycling (which in turn depend on components, driving style and...), weight of the truck, unsprung weight, and frame resilience and rigidity.

I wouldn't be concerned about long travel suspension having problems with increased engine torque and hp, unless the extended axle shafts you are using in the IFS are cheap...but no one ever did a long travel conversion because they were short on cash or credit.

Long travel isn't really limited by the power being produced by your truck. You could be in limp mode and get faced enough to hit a set of bumps fast enough to damage the suspension. The LT is more subject to the forces and loads placed on it while being battered than it is the power the truck can make. Yes the power can make you go faster, but that could be on a smooth road or a bumpy one. It's the loads subjected onto the suspension by the road that matter.
Tracking all

I think the suspension issues are negligible with the increased power. If you're going to have problems, it will be with the drivetrain (axle shafts, driveshafts, transmission, transfer case, differential gears, etc.). The suspension stress comes from the forces during suspension cycling (which in turn depend on components, driving style and...), weight of the truck, unsprung weight, and frame resilience and rigidity.

I wouldn't be concerned about long travel suspension having problems with increased engine torque and hp, unless the extended axle shafts you are using in the IFS are cheap...but no one ever did a long travel conversion because they were short on cash or credit.
Awesome, thanks for the input.

Lol. Very funny that Mr. Nobody and I said basically the same thing at exactly 11:54 😂

Back