• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Lightweight 255/85R16 options

Tom

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
I really like the fact that 255/85R16 will fit the stock body without significant rubbing, but I'm not eager to jump straight to a heavy E-rated tire in the process.

The Cooper ST Maxx and Toyo Open Country M/T are in the 60lb range. That's a huge jump from the relatively lightweight stock tires on the 3rd gen. It's also largely unnecessary for the places I visit.

The Cooper Discover ST in 255/85R16 looks like an interesting compromise.
DiscovererST_full.png

It's not the most modern tread pattern, but it has decent ratings across the internet. It's M+S rated and even pinned for studs if you really want to go that route

Best of all: It's D-rated, and the tire has a claimed weight of only 48lbs. The tread pattern isn't full M/T, which should make for decent road manners.

Is anyone running these? I know they're not as aggressive looking as the ST Maxx or the other 255/85R16s, but for my purposes I think these could strike the right balance for moderate wheeling with good road manners.

I don't know about the discovery but I can add that the Toyo MT are very tall and will be more than 33 inches. I was considering them but the price was really high

I really like the fact that 255/85R16 will fit the stock body without significant rubbing, but I'm not eager to jump straight to a heavy E-rated tire in the process.

The Cooper ST Maxx and Toyo Open Country M/T are in the 60lb range. That's a huge jump from the relatively lightweight stock tires on the 3rd gen. It's also largely unnecessary for the places I visit.

The Cooper Discover ST in 255/85R16 looks like an interesting compromise.
DiscovererST_full.png

It's not the most modern tread pattern, but it has decent ratings across the internet. It's M+S rated and even pinned for studs if you really want to go that route

Best of all: It's D-rated, and the tire has a claimed weight of only 48lbs. The tread pattern isn't full M/T, which should make for decent road manners.

Is anyone running these? I know they're not as aggressive looking as the ST Maxx or the other 255/85R16s, but for my purposes I think these could strike the right balance for moderate wheeling with good road manners.
I wouldn't be hesitant about these. I have a few friends that use these on other trucks and they have no complaints about them as far as tread offroad and quality goes. It does look like you have a decent increase in tire size without as much of the rubbing issues.

hey guys , check out dick cepek extreme countrys I run them in 255 85 16s honestly they wear great , and I was very impressed with these tires in all the heavy wet snow we had up here this year , passing stuck trucks and emergency vehicles with ease , I love them , also I got a buddy that has the mastercraft courser cxt in 255 85 16s they also do very well but not as aggressive as the cepeks I run , ive heard good things about toyo m55s in 255 85 16s a few guys up here run them on fullsize trucks up here on farms and in the quarries hope this is helpfull

Hmmm I know the Cooper ST Maxx are pretty quiet compared to most. Found a cheap supplier right now for them at $287 a tire plus shipping in maple money not American

Hmmm I know the Cooper ST Maxx are pretty quiet compared to most. Found a cheap supplier right now for them at $287 a tire plus shipping in maple money not American
I see that 4wd.com has the cepeks under 200 a tire , oooooh the price difference in Canada didn't no that I'm sorry . I'm looking for a video of road noise with the cepeks now.

if your looking for the biggest 255 85 16 the toyo open country mt is the biggest in height and in width and in Weight

Much trimming or heat gun? Would love a little offset not worried how borrow they look just curious
I have plenty of room even when stuffed no rubbing , stock steel wheels I have are I believe 16x7 with my 1.5 inch wheel spacers I'm sticking out or poking out the same as an 16x8 at a much less price then wheels , these wheels and tires work well on and off road . so all are aware I'm on a low budget build , as you can tell by my 4cylinder utility cab 4x4 and its ben highly rewarding and fun

suspension specs = low range off road 3/1 lift level kit bilstein 5100s front set at 0 and rear 5100s diff drop , carrier bearing drop , east coast gear supply needle replacement bushing , obviously just the beginning of a long drawn out build haha

I have plenty of room even when stuffed no rubbing , stock steel wheels I have are I believe 16x7 with my 1.5 inch wheel spacers I'm sticking out or poking out the same as an 16x8 at a much less price then wheels , these wheels and tires work well on and off road . so all are aware I'm on a low budget build , as you can tell by my 4cylinder utility cab 4x4 and its ben highly rewarding and fun

I know this is a very old post and I honestly don’t expect a reply but in the rare chance you do… I just bought a 2022 4cyclinder 4x4 (same as yours but 2022). I was really looking into 255 85 16s but was worried that the engine might not have the power to turn them super easily? I read all your other replies and it seems like you enjoy the size but I’m curious if it feels super sluggish now? It is my daily truck but I am very into the outdoors and it will see a lot of time off the pavement

It's a Tacoma, made by Toyota, you can put basically whatever you want on these things it'll run fine. I don't see an issue with 255/85's on 16's. You should have 265's on yours if you bought it new correct?

@DrFish, that's what I have... AKA Pizza Cutters.

I had a little rubbing, but was able to remedy that with my ICON UCA's which are very adjustable.

Back