Lightweight 255/85R16 options

Tom

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
I really like the fact that 255/85R16 will fit the stock body without significant rubbing, but I'm not eager to jump straight to a heavy E-rated tire in the process.

The Cooper ST Maxx and Toyo Open Country M/T are in the 60lb range. That's a huge jump from the relatively lightweight stock tires on the 3rd gen. It's also largely unnecessary for the places I visit.

The Cooper Discover ST in 255/85R16 looks like an interesting compromise.
DiscovererST_full.png

It's not the most modern tread pattern, but it has decent ratings across the internet. It's M+S rated and even pinned for studs if you really want to go that route

Best of all: It's D-rated, and the tire has a claimed weight of only 48lbs. The tread pattern isn't full M/T, which should make for decent road manners.

Is anyone running these? I know they're not as aggressive looking as the ST Maxx or the other 255/85R16s, but for my purposes I think these could strike the right balance for moderate wheeling with good road manners.

Rob Daman

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
I don't know about the discovery but I can add that the Toyo MT are very tall and will be more than 33 inches. I was considering them but the price was really high

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I really like the fact that 255/85R16 will fit the stock body without significant rubbing, but I'm not eager to jump straight to a heavy E-rated tire in the process.

The Cooper ST Maxx and Toyo Open Country M/T are in the 60lb range. That's a huge jump from the relatively lightweight stock tires on the 3rd gen. It's also largely unnecessary for the places I visit.

The Cooper Discover ST in 255/85R16 looks like an interesting compromise.
DiscovererST_full.png

It's not the most modern tread pattern, but it has decent ratings across the internet. It's M+S rated and even pinned for studs if you really want to go that route

Best of all: It's D-rated, and the tire has a claimed weight of only 48lbs. The tread pattern isn't full M/T, which should make for decent road manners.

Is anyone running these? I know they're not as aggressive looking as the ST Maxx or the other 255/85R16s, but for my purposes I think these could strike the right balance for moderate wheeling with good road manners.
I wouldn't be hesitant about these. I have a few friends that use these on other trucks and they have no complaints about them as far as tread offroad and quality goes. It does look like you have a decent increase in tire size without as much of the rubbing issues.

CementTRD

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Hmmmm May be a great option.....

Mikestaco17

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Access Cab
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
hey guys , check out dick cepek extreme countrys I run them in 255 85 16s honestly they wear great , and I was very impressed with these tires in all the heavy wet snow we had up here this year , passing stuck trucks and emergency vehicles with ease , I love them , also I got a buddy that has the mastercraft courser cxt in 255 85 16s they also do very well but not as aggressive as the cepeks I run , ive heard good things about toyo m55s in 255 85 16s a few guys up here run them on fullsize trucks up here on farms and in the quarries hope this is helpfull

CementTRD

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
What’s the road noise like?

Mikestaco17

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Access Cab
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member

Mikestaco17

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Access Cab
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
heres another pic before I painted the wheels
20170702_115752.jpg

CementTRD

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Hmmm I know the Cooper ST Maxx are pretty quiet compared to most. Found a cheap supplier right now for them at $287 a tire plus shipping in maple money not American

Mikestaco17

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Access Cab
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Hmmm I know the Cooper ST Maxx are pretty quiet compared to most. Found a cheap supplier right now for them at $287 a tire plus shipping in maple money not American
I see that 4wd.com has the cepeks under 200 a tire , oooooh the price difference in Canada didn't no that I'm sorry . I'm looking for a video of road noise with the cepeks now.

Mikestaco17

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Access Cab
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Do you have a pic of straight on front or back. Been told they look sooo narrow haha
255s are narrow I have them on stock wheels with a 1.5 inch wheel spacer pokes out the fender a touch

Mikestaco17

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Access Cab
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
if your looking for the biggest 255 85 16 the toyo open country mt is the biggest in height and in width and in Weight

CementTRD

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
255s are narrow I have them on stock wheels with a 1.5 inch wheel spacer pokes out the fender a touch
Much trimming or heat gun? Would love a little offset not worried how narrow they look just curious

Last edited: