• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Leveling kit????

JaviDavi

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Hello Tacoma3g. Just picked up a 18 Tacoma trd 4x4 inferno, question is i want to level the truck with spacers, don’t want any blocks in the back, what size spacer do i need in th front and what size tire can i run

Sup man. whats your budget first of all? I would suggest getting Bilstein 5100's with 887's if you want to level out..

Sup man very new to this so the truck comes with bilstein shock so 5100 would be adjustable? I don’t know what 887 are, would this be only for the front?

Sup man very new to this so the truck comes with bilstein shock so 5100 would be adjustable? I don’t know what 887 are, would this be only for the front?
The 5100 are adjustable, yes. The OME 887 are the coil brand and type. The coils are the springs that go around the Bilstein shock. So essentially buying this coil will give you the leveling you're looking for (because it's longer than your stock ones) and the 5100 shock replacement is to ensure you get maximum travel/don't push your stock shocks too far.

How well would this setup work with 285s?

Tyler thanks for the info i also see that a lot of taco setups have the add a leaf do i have to do that or can i just install shocks and coils????

Tyler thanks for the info i also see that a lot of taco setups have the add a leaf do i have to do that or can i just install shocks and coils????

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately as well.
Tyler posted some good info in another thread that I remember reading:

https://tacoma3g.com/threads/5100-bilsteins-to-level-front-anyone.120/post-876
"You can get upper control arms but you don’t have to. The shocks, coils, and add-a-leaf or leaf pack replacement are the bare minimum to get your truck lifted. Small things like the Taco lean spacer, driveshaft spacer, and ECGS bushing are technically optional but they’re cheap enough and important enough that you would just get those too. "

I'm more interested in how stiff (..or not), the ride is compared to stock.
I may say screw it and just get a Fox setup. Pay once and be done.

@Soldato321 if you have the money there is no better solution then a fox/king/icon coilover for the best possible ride and way to lift the truck. If your going for looks over function than level kits/replacing the coil are the way to go. But really all ur doing is allowing urself to run a bigger tire.

If you go the fox/king/icon coilover route then you would also need an upper control arm (uca) to allow for more droop travel and to get the full benefits of the upgraded, longer midtravel shock.

Midtravel meaning more up and down travel than stock but still stock width.
Longtravel meaning replacing the upper and lower control arms with longer ones giving you a lot more up and down travel

Stock might be 8in of travel.
Midtravel might be 10 inches of travel.
Longtravel is anywhere from 11inches of travel on the plus 2inch LT kits to 16imches of travel on the plus 6 kits. Plus 6 meaning increasing the width 6 inches wider per side.

All that said I can’t say if replacing the coil will make it ride stiffer as I’ve only gone midtravel on my tacoma and now Longtravel.

Doing it right IMO is extended length coilovers(fox, king, icon) and an upper control arm like icon, camburg, total chaos, etc.

Spacer lifts are known to be bad news if you really plan to wheel your truck.
Replacing coils and not stellar shocks like any bilstein is half ass but better than a spacer and is more budget friendly. Without the upper control arm your not gaining any extra travel. Your just sitting higher than it would stock.
For best of everything and the most functional plan to spend 1000-1950 on coilovers, 700 on an upper control arm and you can lightly jump the truck and not shatter your teeth.

If you want some coilovers at a price that’s unbeatable I have a set ready to go in the for sale section. They are the top dog fox ones with the adjusters to make the ride softer or harder by turning a dial on the resis. They were 1900 new. I have them on overland market for 1300. Will hook someone up on this forum for a better price of around 1100. Also king and fox just raised their prices at the beginning of May.

If you want the back to sit level with the front after you do shocks and coils then an aal is def something you would want. Also if u plan to lift the front, not do the aal and put anything in the bed you will be doing a serious wheelie down the road. The back will sag and the front will be nose up to the sky. Cali style. Lol

@Ktmslado Damn, that's exactly the info I needed! Thank you for taking the time to write that up, easy to understand and very informative.

Checking out what you have listed now...

Last edited:
@Ktmslado Damn, that's exactly the info I needed! Thank you for taking the time to write that up, easy to understand and very informative.

Checking out what you have listed now...
Just to add, replacing coils and shocks are generally a better ride from stock. After I did my setup I had less body roll (better handling), and better “comfort” over bumps. That’s in addition to the extra height/travel. I also replaced my leaf pack rather than just doing AAL, though. And I don’t even have the nicer Kings/Icons he was talking about.

Back