• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Archived Let me know what you think of the revised forum structure (so far)!

This thread is now an archive that does not accept new posts. If you wish to add to this discussion, you should create a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I love organizing things. I have been working for two full days to revise our forum structure. It is still a work in progress, but since a lot of it is noticeable now, I figure I should ask if you guys want anything changed. Since I am not done, some of what you see is not fully functional yet, especially all of the thread prefixes.

What I have done:
  • Moved some forums around.
    • There is no more tutorial section. Tutorials are now labeled with thread prefixes and can be found in the sections that the tutorial is relevant to. This applies to reviews as well.
    • The Tacoma photo section is now its own forum on the main page for more visibility.
    • Gearing and locker topics are in with the suspension and tires section because it makes sense.
  • Rewrote most of the forum descriptions. I think they sound much better now.
  • Changed the Rig of the Month contest text on its forum title and sidebar title to the orange color that RotM users have.
    • Added a small icon to show if RotM is open or closed.
    • Added a RotM list of previous winners thread.
  • Heavily revised and made use of the thread prefix system.
    • You will now see many more prefix opens in each section. Every thread will eventually be labeled with an appropriate prefix. You can then click the prefix to show all threads that are using that prefix.
    • Revised prefix colors; focused on using the colors of actual Tacomas. This is still a work in progress.
    • Added clickable prefix buttons on the forum homepage. Same idea -- click one and see all threads in that category.
    • Added the ability to select more than one prefix per thread. This has two main purposes:
      • You can choose the relevant prefix and then a secondary one if you have a special type of post. Example: [SUSPENSION][TUTORIAL]
      • In the marketplace, you can choose your region and also add if you are willing to ship. Example: [WEST][WILL SHIP]
    • There will eventually be a "Categories" drop-down menu at the top of the site (where "Home" is) that will use this prefix system to help users navigate through discussions.
Here is a screenshot of the new homepage, although it still needs some tweaks: (click to enlarge)
Screenshot_2020-04-20 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma Forum - Tacoma3G com.jpg

Here is one of the old forum for reference:
1587423437890.png

I know most members only visit the forum from their phone, so you actually won't see most of the homepage changes. But for those who do use desktop, please let me know what you think. I want to make the prefixes a little smaller on the homepage but I haven't figured out how yet. I also don't know if I like all the colors or not. I was thinking about making them all one color which would use the color of the theme that you're using.

Last edited:
I can't decide if I should remove the styling of the prefixes on the homepage and just have it as normal text instead.

I feel like I might be overwhelmed with all the color. Or with the three-dimensional styling. I could remove the color, make them flat, or do both.

This would be if they were flat. Taking the color out to see what it looks like will take me a while.

Screenshot_2020-04-20 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma Forum - Tacoma3G com(1).png

I feel like suspension and wheels/tires should be their own forums, for whatever reason.

I feel like suspension and wheels/tires should be their own forums, for whatever reason.
I’ve always had it this way because I don’t like having a long list of sections like most forums do. Armor, suspension, and wheels/tires are the most popular topics which is why they have their own forum in the first place. And then the thread prefixes help sort it within the forum.

If we start getting hundreds of posts per day eventually, creating more forums would be justified.

I like the prefix filtering idea. Maybe if you just put it as filtering options when you click into that specific forum?

For example, you click into General Discussion. At the top of that page you see the prefixes that you can filter by.

I use the desktop more than I use my phone to access the website since my job is at a computer most of the day. I liked the prefixes at the home page - it's one less click to get to that specific topic and gave me an idea of what all was in there. In my opinion, the colors of the prefixes made it seem a little more modern and makes each topic stand out more, but I could do without it for a cleaner look. Like the Vendors/Deals/Group Buys, as topics grow the you might start running out of colors.

I like the prefix filtering idea. Maybe if you just put it as filtering options when you click into that specific forum?

For example, you click into General Discussion. At the top of that page you see the prefixes that you can filter by.
I use the desktop more than I use my phone to access the website since my job is at a computer most of the day. I liked the prefixes at the home page - it's one less click to get to that specific topic and gave me an idea of what all was in there. In my opinion, the colors of the prefixes made it seem a little more modern and makes each topic stand out more, but I could do without it for a cleaner look. Like the Vendors/Deals/Group Buys, as topics grow the you might start running out of colors.
Noted. Thanks guys.

I'm sure I'll find a solution soon.

I'm on desktop when I browse t3g also and yeah I definitely feel I just check the what's new box and miss a lot of stuff I'm sure

Just want to let you guys know that how you see the prefixes on the forum right now is just temporary. I've been having trouble behind the scenes with their coding/CSS. But I'll have them neat soon, and alphabetized properly. It bothers me that they are messed up for now but I'm also probably the only one noticing it, lol.

This would be if they were flat. Taking the color out to see what it looks like will take me a while.

Screenshot_2020-04-20 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma Forum - Tacoma3G com(1).png
Try taming the colors down. maybe lighter shades of the the colors here. They currently are a bit loud and overpowering.

Just want to let you guys know that how you see the prefixes on the forum right now is just temporary. I've been having trouble behind the scenes with their coding/CSS. But I'll have them neat soon, and alphabetized properly. It bothers me that they are messed up for now but I'm also probably the only one noticing it, lol.
I've noticed. /s

The colors did seem a little too much for me. The prefixes look good. Keep up the good job. Eagerly waiting to see the adventures of the Wandering Winterfield's.

The colors did seem a little too much for me. The prefixes look good. Keep up the good job. Eagerly waiting to see the adventures of the Wandering Winterfield's.
Haha, thank you!

Not doing what you see in the screenshot in the first post, but I'll be temporarily removing the colors from most of the thread prefixes while I am revising them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back