• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Leaf Spring Comparison: All-Pro, Allcan, Icon, Dobinsons, Deavers, Archive, Dakars

This is for the Tacoma owners out there, and to expose the poor aftermarket selling parts that don't work properly.
So in the past, I have been saying Dobinsons 110 + 111 springs were a good option that didn't need modification. That was true then, however, Dobinsons made a change to the 110 and 111 leaf packs by lengthening the 2nd leaf inside the shackles, that will now interfere (like 112s always did) and likely damage the Tacoma shackles, whether stock or aftermarket, and with stock hangers or aftermarket.

Now, ALL Australian spring brands need modification to work properly with the Tacoma shackle arrangement. This is ludicrous that the Australians don't design for the application, just take their Hilux design (different shackle arrangement) and shove it out there for Tacomas.

20210812_140414.jpg
20210812_140452.jpg

Damage from customer's 112s with stock hangers (110 + 111 will now cause the same):
"Dobinsons 112 pack. These are the shackles I took off when I installed HH. No more speculation"

Dob112damageStockHangers.jpg

Now compare those to this stock Tacoma leaf pack which is the maximum length the 2nd leaf should be, IT DOES NOT EXTEND INTO THE SHACKLE!

20200902_132446.jpg
20200902_132410.jpg

Also, the newest Dakars have progressively gone from bad to worse on this interference issue, from their CS047r to El095/96 and now to E111/l112 :eek:

Screenshot_20210609-212410_Instagram.jpg

Any leaf pack where the 2nd leaf that extends inside the shackle cavity is NOT compatible with the Tacoma shackle arrangement. Currently, this includes all Australian leaf packs I know of (OME, Dobinsons, Ironman), which are based off the typical Hilux design, and also the standard Alcan offering, must be modified to avoid damage to Tacoma shackles and jamming while articulating.

The interference is due to leaf packs not being designed for the application.

Know what you're buying people, be discerning

Last edited:
Being that you have ADS shocks, and hoping those are well tuned, then it's the stock hangers causing that harshness.

The combo of ADS shocks, stock leaves + AAL and Hh will ride great.
Have to re visit buying the HH, will be upgrading to Deavers in future with 12" ads shocks using your shock relocation, Quick question does your shock relocation put a bar across bed, Only reason i ask is wondering if i would still be able to have my tool box and room for dirt Bike after relocation.

Have to re visit buying the HH, will be upgrading to Deavers in future with 12" ads shocks using your shock relocation, Quick question does your shock relocation put a bar across bed, Only reason i ask is wondering if i would still be able to have my tool box and room for dirt Bike after relocation.

Awesome, thank you. Our shock relocation doesn't add a bar across the bed, but you could if you wanted to.
We offer a Tacoma3g member discount, DM me when you are ready to buy

Last edited:
Deaver or hopefully Archive soon. Read 1st post on All Pro

Missed that somehow!

Looking forward to the Archive's.. Wouldn't mind testing them on my rig once they're out! Everything else you guys make is awesome so why wouldnt your leafs be? ;)

I have zero experience with lifting a truck.

Quick question: I’m looking to add more weight hauling capacity to my SR5, as getting anywhere near max load turns the leafs upside down and feels like they ride on the bump stops . . . . WAY too soft.

I don’t want any lift, or if that’s not possible, negligible lift . . . . Maybe 1.5” max. I saw the Deaver J66 leafs are in my price range and they don’t provide much lift, but Tyler specifically mentioned to avoid those. Why?

What would you guys recommend:
- Little or no lift
- 200 lb constant load
- Still maintains good shape and performance at 1,000+lbs
- Around $700 or less

thanks!

I have zero experience with lifting a truck.

Quick question: I’m looking to add more weight hauling capacity to my SR5, as getting anywhere near max load turns the leafs upside down and feels like they ride on the bump stops . . . . WAY too soft.

I don’t want any lift, or if that’s not possible, negligible lift . . . . Maybe 1.5” max. I saw the Deaver J66 leafs are in my price range and they don’t provide much lift, but Tyler specifically mentioned to avoid those. Why?

What would you guys recommend:
- Little or no lift
- 200 lb constant load
- Still maintains good shape and performance at 1,000+lbs
- Around $700 or less

thanks!

J66 are to be avoided for your needs because they are very soft and noodly, axle wrap

We offer an Add a leaf that would do what you want. Like you said, Toyota tunes their springs for a completely unloaded truck, no good for any weight hauling.

Last edited:
@ARCHIVE Do you guys install as well? I’m not too far away from Buffalo.

Details? :)

Also, could your additional leaf be added to an existing 1.5" AAL with the overload leaf still in? Would that just be too stiff?

I wouldn't stack AALs, just save for a new pack, or get a local spring shop to revamp your stock packs

Pics and info coming soon on Archive HD and MD springs

Last edited:
Ready to see what they're all about!

Icon: This has been pretty decent I would say, but I have gotten some negative feedback, mainly its just underwhelming. No major design flaws, no shackle interference. Doesn't seem to be a very tough design, or enough lift. My biggest nitpick is they took a 10 leaf pack design, took a couple leaves out, and screwed up by making the stepping from leaf to leaf too wide, which seems like some customers report a lot of axle wrap, which exhibits as driveshaft vibration on take off and deceleration. Stage 1 and 2 are total of 7 thin leaves
Source post: https://tacoma3g.com/threads/rear-leaf-suggestions.9460/post-47384

Former lurker registered to share my experience with the Icon RXT on my 21 DCSB OR. I installed with the "option 2" configuration and it gave me 3" of lift from stock, with the rear hub to fender measuring at 25". My front is lifted 2" (23" hub to fender) on 6112s. What I'm experiencing seems to be exactly as described above. I have a slight shudder when I take off. There are no other vibrations. Is this due to the design of the springs or higher rake causing driveline angle issues? Prior to this, I had the Icon 1.5 AAL installed which gave me zero issues. I want to switch to option 1 and see if it helps with the vibration, but if vibes are due to bad leaf pack design, then that might just be a waste of time and I will revert back to my stock leafs with the AAL.

Former lurker registered to share my experience with the Icon RXT on my 21 DCSB OR. I installed with the "option 2" configuration and it gave me 3" of lift from stock, with the rear hub to fender measuring at 25". My front is lifted 2" (23" hub to fender) on 6112s. What I'm experiencing seems to be exactly as described above. I have a slight shudder when I take off. There are no other vibrations. Is this due to the design of the springs or higher rake causing driveline angle issues? Prior to this, I had the Icon 1.5 AAL installed which gave me zero issues. I want to switch to option 1 and see if it helps with the vibration, but if vibes are due to bad leaf pack design, then that might just be a waste of time and I will revert back to my stock leafs with the AAL.

It's because of driveline angle. Mine did the same thing when I went to Deaver stage 3's, 25" hub to center. I installed a half inch shim and it fixed my vibration issue.

It's because of driveline angle. Mine did the same thing when I went to Deaver stage 3's, 25" hub to center. I installed a half inch shim and it fixed my vibration issue.
Actually it isn't. RXT packs have the most common occurrence of power-on driveline vibration.

@daidoo You first want to put new u-joints in your driveshaft, call the dealer, the 2nd gens had a recall on the ujoints, but 3rd gens are exactly the same soo...

Don't chase your tail. Also, an angle shim will not help power-on vibration. I feel it's axle wrap allowing the pinion angle to point up under power, so pointing pinion angle up further is counter productive

Last edited:
Actually it isn't. RXT packs have the most common occurrence of power-on driveline vibration.

@daidoo You first want to put new u-joints in your driveshaft, call the dealer, the 2nd gens had a recall on the ujoints, but 3rd gens are exactly the same soo...

Don't chase your tail. Also, an angle shim will not help power-on vibration. I feel it's axle wrap allowing the pinion angle to point up under power, so pointing pinion angle up further is counter productive

This might be the first time I’ve seen anyone mentioned new u-joints. Would the dealer replace them with a better version that would in turn address my vibration? Or is this something you recommend I should get done regardless?

If this is an RXT design issue, something tells me switching to option 1 would make it a little worse since it will be softer? I plan on switching tomorrow, so we shall see. If I continue having issues, I’ll revert back to my original setup. I can’t be bothered chasing bad vibes as this is my daily driver. I’ll put the Icons up for sale and look into a better pack down the line.

Last edited:
So ive been running Deaver Stage 3's for about 2 years now...Just recently they've started to sag and it seems to cycle through a lot more, noticed the top leaf's are seperating. Im not as experienced with worn out leaf packs but wanted to get your guys 2 cents worth. @ARCHIVE whatcha think?

deaver.jpg

So ive been running Deaver Stage 3's for about 2 years now...Just recently they've started to sag and it seems to cycle through a lot more, noticed the top leaf's are seperating. Im not as experienced with worn out leaf packs but wanted to get your guys 2 cents worth. @ARCHIVE whatcha think?

deaver.jpg
Looks like what is happening is the pack is completely compressed together, arch is used up, and all those bottom leaves are stronger than main leaf, so the main is deflecting. Seems like main leaf isn't strong enough. Deaver are good people, but since they revised the stage 2 and 3, I have been hearing some negative reports on harsh ride for stage 3 and I actually saw a pic of same thing on another Tacoma where main was deflecting like that (with another brand hangers).

My stance in leaf pack design is that the main leaf should be the boss and run the show, which is why our HD and MD packs use this design ideology

Wanna try our HD soon?

Last edited:
In the market for new leafs. Expecting about 500lbs constant weight in the rear. Where can I find out more info about your HD packs?

deaver.jpg
Dude, what's the deal with that truss setup?

I switched from option 2 to option 1 and vibration is nearly gone. I now experience a very subtle shudder when accelerating from a stop. Not noticeable at all under normal driving. The ride quality is nice enough where I'm now looking into possible solutions over just reverting back to my previous setup. Considering a CB drop - any reasons why I should avoid going that route? It will certainly change the angles in the front... addressing one issue while creating another?

I need to start looking into this too. I have the truck resting on the sumo springs at all times now. It's not ideal.

I need to start looking into this too. I have the truck resting on the sumo springs at all times now. It's not ideal.

Sumo springs are not an ideal solution, they are way to tall for a low lift Tacoma, they reduce suspension travel because they are an auxiliary spring

Last edited:
Back