• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Jfrisch’s Red Taco build

Finally.

and when I say finally, I mean it.

The tailgate on the bed never worked. *because I’m a derp and didn’t allow room for it to open like a standard tailgate on a pickup. Oops but didn’t have the rtt yet anyway. So it never bothered me.

Well, couple bucks and some jeep parts ( 😳 ) later, we have a swinging tailgate!

Oh, bought a fold up shelf for a jeep too, please don’t tell anyone about all these jeep parts 🤣

Holds a camp stove just right

CD087389-276A-4C2E-8BF0-A0BEEB80632C.jpeg

Finally.

and when I say finally, I mean it.

The tailgate on the bed never worked. *because I’m a derp and didn’t allow room for it to open like a standard tailgate on a pickup. Oops but didn’t have the rtt yet anyway. So it never bothered me.

Well, couple bucks and some jeep parts ( 😳 ) later, we have a swinging tailgate!

Oh, bought a fold up shelf for a jeep too, please don’t tell anyone about all these jeep parts 🤣

Holds a camp stove just right

CD087389-276A-4C2E-8BF0-A0BEEB80632C.jpeg
I am so telling. Jeep-toyota hybrid :p

Can we get some F's in the chat please...

How difficult are these to change?

meh. My axle nut is seized on right now, but it’s totally my fault. I changed the cv (2 times in 30 minutes) there’s a video on that lol. But didn’t have a dust seal for the wheel bearing (got damaged when cv snapped) so that lead to corrosion and rust on the splines.

so a bit of heat and sledgy, it should come off easily.

if it wasn’t rusted on, very easy. Unbolt a few parts and pull it apart. Buying the whole assembly saves the pressing in bearing part

Last edited:
meh. My axle nut is seized on right now, but it’s totally my fault. I changed the cv (2 times in 30 minutes) there’s a video on that lol. But didn’t have a dust seal for the wheel bearing (got damaged when cv snapped) so that lead to corrosion and rust on the splines.

so a bit of heat and sledgy, it should come off easily.

if it wasn’t rusted on, very easy. Unbolt a few parts and pull it apart. Buying the whole assembly saves the pressing in bearing part
you're starting to sound like the guys on pirate4x4.com

Is that a good or bad thing lol
Neither. They're a bunch of build-it-from-the-frame with custom Dana 60's and 44 inch tire guys. :) a little rough around the edges (which you are not), but frequently refer to hammers, welding, and major repairs and minor parts of their days.

Neither. They're a bunch of build-it-from-the-frame with custom Dana 60's and 44 inch tire guys. :) a little rough around the edges (which you are not), but frequently refer to hammers, welding, and major repairs and minor parts of their days.

haha I’m good with that. I remember pirate, but was never a member. I’ll randomly find a post from them.

I just never saw the value in taking my vehicles to a shop, I figured if they could do it, I can too. I learned a lot of lessons the hard way but with the help of practice and the military, I learned some lol.

Nothing better than putting something back together with limited parts/ supplies. Same goes with having all the tools and a bit of custom fab work (which I consider myself a newbie still)

Shoulda seen the guys face on the trail with the Subaru, when I said let’s bend it back and reset the bead. There was a guy in complete shock. He just couldn’t believe it lol

haha I’m good with that. I remember pirate, but was never a member. I’ll randomly find a post from them.

I just never saw the value in taking my vehicles to a shop, I figured if they could do it, I can too. I learned a lot of lessons the hard way but with the help of practice and the military, I learned some lol.

Nothing better than putting something back together with limited parts/ supplies. Same goes with having all the tools and a bit of custom fab work (which I consider myself a newbie still)

Shoulda seen the guys face on the trail with the Subaru, when I said let’s bend it back and reset the bead. There was a guy in complete shock. He just couldn’t believe it lol
Very odd, coming from a guy driving a Subaru like a monster truck

Hittin the road. Headed to Windrock park for ATR!

Drove there in the tacoma last year, but we’re gonna see what we can get into with the truck being trailered this year.
0660B0A3-350F-445B-AB34-37FC28BBE2B1.jpeg

Guess you should have driven the Tacoma after all

Trail 15 at Windrock park claimed another 3.5.

Motor 💥
Oil everywhere.

these motors suckkkk

@Tyler I broke a few things for you

84501891-8FF8-4AEF-9879-BD163F21242A.jpeg

White smoke

shut it off and waited for a little bit to restart. Restarted it and boom. Then it shut off.

crack in block

73A80C3A-C71B-4722-BF4C-A4CAA2CD23BB.jpeg
Fuck, man. When I said break stuff I didn’t really mean throw rods and crack blocks, but hats off to ya, lol. 🤘

So are you gonna have the first V8 or first Cummins 3rd Gen? 😬

Back