• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Jamie’s 2016 TRD Off Road 4x4 Build

JTS2016TACO

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I’m Jamie and I have a 2016 TRD Offroad 4x4 I have had the truck almost 2 years so I’m going to try to recreate my build thread from another forum for you all to read. I bought my truck July 24, 2016 from Riverview Toyota here in Arizona. Here it is the night I bought it. It’s a basic trd version without premium or tech, only options I added were the tow package. Here it is the day I bought it.
C175EC97-C330-4370-A70D-1F0BAB2C8B67.jpeg

BE1DA7DA-039A-4BC1-8E6C-B3D5B7FFF161.jpeg

6961EC9E-8AEB-4E39-91EB-388744E38C9D.jpeg

So before I bought this truck I was trading in vehicles left and right. I traded in a 2015 Subaru WRX Premium for my tacoma here it is after the dealer drove it.
EAFD2452-7C93-44DA-AF6D-192CEB698AE5.jpeg

I traded it in as stock as I could I took everything off it. Prior to that I owned a 2015 Tundra Double cab, it was an okay truck but I got the wrong one and I hated it.
D4D54AC9-343F-4D01-A892-C3E6D60BB9A3.jpeg

Now I’m not new to Tacoma’s I also had a 2013 prerunner(which was a mistake to buy since I got into off-roading and camping so I hated the
2wd) I traded that in for a 2014 Trd Offroad 4x4 which was eventually traded for the tundra. Here’s a picture of that truck.
79FFB1EC-EFB1-41D6-80D1-4C84B034D7A7.jpeg

And here’s a currentish picture of my truck.
9A195055-2287-4439-A96E-D84CA7596C2A.jpeg

So here’s the mod list:

Future mod list:
Gentex GENK45AM4 to add homelink to my truck
Spindle Gussets
Cam Tab Gussets
Baja Designs Rock Lights
Refrigerator of some sort

That's all I have planned

Mods I have but are not currently installed:
Pedal Commander
Rago Fabrication Hi lift mount.

Ordered mods:

Audio:
JL Audio Fix6
Alpine PDX V9 Amp
Image Dynamics IDQ10 in a TacoTunes Box behind driver rear seat
Image Dynamics IDQ65CS Component Speakers in front doors and tweeter location
Image Dynamics ID65 in the rear doors
TacoTunes speaker/tweeter adapter plates
Dynamat Xtreme Sound Deadening

Recovery/gear I carry in the truck:
Bubba Rope 7/8"x20' blue in color
2 Blue/Black Gator Jaw Soft Shackles
Factor 55 Hitchlink 2.0 Blue
ARB E-Z Deflator
Powertank Tire Repair kit
Jumper cables
Ratchet Straps
Powertank 10lb air tank in blue
Mean Mother Folding Recovery Shovel
Hi-Lift Xtreme with Daystar Jack Isolator
Fire Extinguisher on a Drake fire extinguisher mount
Outer Limit Supply Day Tripper Kit with quick release
Maxtrax in Orange
Krazy Beaver #murderspork
Warn ZEON 10S Platinum on the SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount
Factor 55 Fairlead
Factor 55 Ultrahook
Factor 55 Rope Guard
@DeadmanOffroad Earth Anchor
ARB Dual Compressor on a Slee Offroad Mount
ARB Manifold Kit to be able to use compressor

Lighting:
Putco LED Low Beam Headlight Bulbs
Stark Industries LED High Beam Headlight Bulbs
CSJumper Interior LED and License Plate LED Light Kits
Sylvania Zevo LED Reverse Lights
Baja Designs Squadron Sport Driving Amber Fog Lights
Baja Designs Xl80 Driving White A Pillar Lights on SDHQ Offroad A Pillar Mounts
Baja Designs Squadron Sport Wide/Cornering Amber Dust Light on SDHQ Offroad Universal Chase Mount Bracket
Baja Designs OnX6 30" Amber and Baja Designs S8 30" White on SDHQ Behind the Grille Light Bar Mounts
Switchpros to power it all with a @SDHQ OFFROAD bezel
2018 TRD Offroad Tail lights
@mesojdm ultimate turn signals
4 Baja Design’s S2 Sport lights on roof rack in work/scene pattern

Suspension:
Camburg Kinetik Series Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms
Icon Vehicle Dynamics Extended Travel 2.5 Coilovers with Resi and CDCV
Icon Vehicle Dynamics RXT Omega Bypass Rear Shocks
Icon Vehicle Dynamics Hydraulic Air Bumps
Icon Vehicle Dynamics RXT Rear Springs in second configuration
Wheelers Offroad U Bolt Flip Kit with Icon Striker Plates

Performance:
TRD Exhaust cut before last turn
K&N Air Filter in stock air box and cabin filter
Nitro 4.88 Gears in differentials
Hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator
X2 Power Group 31M AGM Battery in Pelfreybilt Battery Cage

Wheels/Tires:
Icon Alloy Six Speed 17"x8.5" Black
285/75R17 Toyo MT Tires
A 5th method race wheel grid on a 285/70R17 Toyo RT mounted in the stock location

Armor:
Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS Skid
Pelfreybilt Aluminum Mid Skid
SDHQ Bolt on Rock Sliders
SDHQ ABS Guards

Expo Stuff:
CVT Summit Series Mt. Shasta Extended Roof Top Tent
Prinsu Design Studios Cabrac
CBI Offroad Fabrication Overland Bed Bars

Other:
5% Window tint all the way around with 5% strip on windshield
Weathertech Floorliners Front/Rear
Salex Center Console Insert
TRD Pro Shift Knob
OEM Bed Mat
Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners
Headliner Patches
Katskinz leather seats
@mesojdm Gasshole
@AJT DESIGN Key Fob
@TUFSKINZ interior kit

Most if not all my parts have been bought at SDHQ Offroad, they are good people over there and its nice to support local businesses.

Last edited:
Speaking of Tacoma’s look at this one I saw by house yesterday.
6163A06A-D6BB-4E13-ADAF-0348E74E5157.jpeg

Still SOA. More stickers, and a rear bumper.
They should just give it back to me so I can give her the life she deserves.
Although I've heard they beat on her pretty hard

Oh and they took off my wheels and put ugly ass wheels and my 34" toyos and put on bfg
Facepalm

Thank you for making this site. And thank you I think there aren’t many bolts left untouched haha
Very nice truck. So many clean trucks around like yours thats so impressive. Those 285/75’s make me want them. Are you running that 285/70 under spare just cause it fits there or did you have an extra? This will go into my consideration in upgrading. I dont think I can add a swingout as much as i want it after measuring my trailer clearance when towing. I will have to detach if wanting to open tailgate cause my popup tongue is so damn small

Very nice truck. So many clean trucks around like yours thats so impressive. Those 285/75’s make me want them. Are you running that 285/70 under spare just cause it fits there or did you have an extra? This will go into my consideration in upgrading. I dont think I canadd a swingout after measuring my trailer clearance when towing.

Thank you, reason I have that size is that’s the original size tire I put on when I lifted it. Long story short discount gave me a 3 year old tire in my original set and I was like wtf and they gave it to me for free all I had to do was buy the rim. I am curious if a 285/75 would fit I think it would if I bent the ears back as I didn’t do anything to fit this one. Only thing I had to do for rubbing was chop the exhaust off after the axle.

Very nice truck. So many clean trucks around like yours thats so impressive. Those 285/75’s make me want them. Are you running that 285/70 under spare just cause it fits there or did you have an extra? This will go into my consideration in upgrading. I dont think I can add a swingout as much as i want it after measuring my trailer clearance when towing. I will have to detach if wanting to open tailgate cause my popup tongue is so damn small
All of our trucks here are very similar. I guess it helps that most of us are friends and all help work on each others trucks as well. We got a tight knit crew for sure.

Thank you, reason I have that size is that’s the original size tire I put on when I lifted it. Long story short discount gave me a 3 year old tire in my original set and I was like wtf and they gave it to me for free all I had to do was buy the rim. I am curious if a 285/75 would fit I think it would if I bent the ears back as I didn’t do anything to fit this one. Only thing I had to do for rubbing was chop the exhaust off after the axle.

I did that already. I wish I had one to test out cause Jerry has me sold on upgrading lol. Hes only been on the site for a day.

Back