• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Inexpensive and not Permanent Cb radio options?

Jake Zigtek

4️⃣ Gold
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cavalry Blue
trying to dive into learning More about simple CB setups and would love some insight on anything you personally use or have used...
I went on a run with a guy a few months back and he let me borrow his midland setup that just plugged into the cigarette lighter and ran a cable to a magnetic whip.
I get that they are minimal on distance but I’ll really only ever use it when I’m a group and need to communicate. Are there other options for “temporary” use applications ?
I shy away from a permanent install because I feel like there is so little room in the cab to begin with ... so maybe second thought does anyone have any stealthy / clever mounting placements for a more permanent solution ?
Open to any ideas and just don’t know really anyone who has had experience with this stuff to ask !
Thanks in advance
💪🏻

If your looking for simple I have one of these, https://midlandusa.com/product/75-822cb-radio/

I Have had one for a year now and it dies fine, however CB are maxed out at 4 watts I believe. To get better range you would need to set up a better antenna. I have one in the box that needs to be installed soon.

A good resource foe anything CB is this website. https://www.rightchannelradios.com/

Hope this helps!

Beautiful , thanks for the info ! Want to continue a little reading before I buy something 🕺🏼

Beautiful , thanks for the info ! Want to continue a little reading before I buy something 🕺🏼
Yep I am funny we’re I spend my money! Educate, research the facts, get feedback then follow your gut or you could always impulse buy and have a whole garage of what’s that for stuff?

Yep I am funny we’re I spend my money! Educate, research the facts, get feedback then follow your gut or you could always impulse buy and have a whole garage of what’s that for stuff?
You don’t even want to see my garage 😂😂😂

I would look into ham radios. Seems to be where everyone is headed. I have both I have a uniden cb that was like 30-40$ and then a baofeng ham. Unless you’re going to be using it as a trucker there’s no real need to go that far off the deep end

I would look into ham radios. Seems to be where everyone is headed. I have both I have a uniden cb that was like 30-40$ and then a baofeng ham. Unless you’re going to be using it as a trucker there’s no real need to go that far off the deep end
I’ll check it out!
Don’t need to go much further than 5-10 miles or so 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ham is definitely the way to go for clarity and range. We use it in SAR. I have had a mobile unit sitting on my desk for a while that needs to be programmed and installed before a big trip in August!

I went full ghetto with heavy duty Velcro on the radio case and attach it to the carpet on the transmission tunnel. Hard wired with switch to battery and magnetic mount. Easy to move, no drilling and works well once tuned. It’s done so I can unplug both power and ground wires easily, or move the whole unit under the seat. It’s Velcro, so sticks thereAdmittedly, it’s stuff I had already, but nothing was over $50. Uniden 520xl and little will antenna
Has PA jack, too
The full size ones are too bulky for mounting that way, but this is nice and compact. Hard wiring eliminates some of the excess static from the truck, and you’ll have a live wire from the battery to the cab should you ever need one. I used the factory ground behind the kick panel.

As many have said, do as your friends do, or you’ll be talking to yourself... it’s more about them than you, unless they’re looking for a change soon

CB works on the road as well, too.
You’ll have static with the fmrs Walkie-talkies, but if nobody else has ham, you’ll get no answer anyway.
I just recently wheeled with a Jeep group, 21 of us, they used all 3, but most were with the fmrs, hard core were Ham, about 4-5 on CB
right channel radios are an excellent resource, as has been mentioned. And they will say the antenna is the key, as the radios are essentially the same. How and where they are mounted affect performance the most, so that should be your major concern.
Hope this was helpful, and didn’t make it worse...👍🏾

I went full ghetto with heavy duty Velcro on the radio case and attach it to the carpet on the transmission tunnel. Hard wired with switch to battery and magnetic mount. Easy to move, no drilling and works well once tuned. It’s done so I can unplug both power and ground wires easily, or move the whole unit under the seat. It’s Velcro, so sticks thereAdmittedly, it’s stuff I had already, but nothing was over $50. Uniden 520xl and little will antenna
Has PA jack, too
The full size ones are too bulky for mounting that way, but this is nice and compact. Hard wiring eliminates some of the excess static from the truck, and you’ll have a live wire from the battery to the cab should you ever need one. I used the factory ground behind the kick panel.

As many have said, do as your friends do, or you’ll be talking to yourself... it’s more about them than you, unless they’re looking for a change soon

CB works on the road as well, too.
You’ll have static with the fmrs Walkie-talkies, but if nobody else has ham, you’ll get no answer anyway.
I just recently wheeled with a Jeep group, 21 of us, they used all 3, but most were with the fmrs, hard core were Ham, about 4-5 on CB
right channel radios are an excellent resource, as has been mentioned. And they will say the antenna is the key, as the radios are essentially the same. How and where they are mounted affect performance the most, so that should be your major concern.
Hope this was helpful, and didn’t make it worse...👍🏾
Quite helpful thanks for the detailed info !! Much appreciated !

Back