• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Hill assist issues

Twich47

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey I’m a new 2019 TRD OR owner and on a few instances I’ve had issues taking off from a dead stop on a hill. It almost feels like ABS kicking on if I hold the gas on it powers thru and takes me up the hill. Also it never actually holds my truck on a hill it will coast back every time I take my foot off the breaks. Anyone else have this issue

That’s strange. I have had it roll back on me but it still works on most occasions. I don’t use it as a tool, it’s just nice if I’m trying to pull out into traffic and for that few seconds it holds the truck.

Upvote 0
Hey I’m a new 2019 TRD OR owner and on a few instances I’ve had issues taking off from a dead stop on a hill. It almost feels like ABS kicking on if I hold the gas on it powers thru and takes me up the hill. Also it never actually holds my truck on a hill it will coast back every time I take my foot off the breaks. Anyone else have this issue
While I don’t have a MT, I know the truck does this for most people with the OR model. While it’s not ideal, it don’t think it’s broken and your truck is behaving normally in this case.

Upvote 0
You can use the extra power button that’s located in the center console area below the climate controls. This will give you a better throttle response overall.
Pretty sure the OR has this feature

Upvote 0
It wont hold your truck , it will slow the truck down as best as it can so you dont go back and gain momentum, just patting the brakes , also if throttle response is a issue there is a great forum on what you can do about that
https://tacoma3g.com/threads/the-ovtune-thread.35/page-5#post-25862

And welcome to the forum

Upvote 0

I have this same problem. Freaked me out the first time it did it. My fix is to engage it on level ground before going into it. Kinda like foreplay. Gotta play with it a little first before going hard.

Upvote 0
I have hill assist on my (DCSB V6 MT) Sport 4x4,
The truck knows when you are on an incline (not sure of the incline degree range of engagement).
At the end of my road is a hill with a stop sign. It works every time I hold the brake hard enough to hold the truck on the hill.
It holds for about 2 seconds then fully releases. I actually think it holds as hard as you hold the brake when you depressed it.
So if you hold light on brake equals the hill assist holding the same pressure,... hold the brake harder then so will the assist.
Basically it keeps the same pressure you initially placed on the pedal. BUT in order to engage it MUST be on a incline.

I find it helpful on a smooth clutch release and never a downside to it,..... 2 seconds is not an issue.
I have tried to release the clutch and go immediately on the hill, and it does seem to release immediately as well.

It should not be on "TRD OFF ROAD" with a manual transmission only on an automatic transmission as per Toyota...... (I have it on my TRD Sport 4x4 with a MT)
Strangely it is ONLY on automatics in every trim other than TRD Sport with a MT. (unless Toyota screwed up and installed mine on a MT)
1688913485430.png
Source: https://youtu.be/beog9J5DBEQ

Upvote 0
Back